Evo 5Rs Resto-Mod - Page 8 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Projects & Restorations

Old 29-06-2020, 21:12   #106
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car

Also, we undersealed the whole car.. including above the tank, and rear diff area, as well as rear arches and all struit tops..
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
Mita (30-06-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-2020, 21:52   #107
Jakeh
Senior User

Car: 9 Wagon
What an amazingly thorough job, Mita.
Jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jakeh For This Useful Post:
Mita (30-06-2020)
Old 30-06-2020, 00:03   #108
Dave-Cee
Climate Changer

Car: MAD forged 2.2 IX FQ 340 PLG Leccy Bloo
Lots more great stuff to come yet
Dave-Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-Cee For This Useful Post:
Mita (30-06-2020)
Old 30-06-2020, 05:56   #109
Mita
Senior User

I take it you plan on properly using it then ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post

Also, we undersealed the whole car.. including above the tank, and rear diff area, as well as rear arches and all struit tops..
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 05:57   #110
Mita
Senior User

Thanks Jake, thatís very kind of you. I hope youíre enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeh View Post
What an amazingly thorough job, Mita.
Old 30-06-2020, 06:48   #111
dreMR
Senior User

Great job mate looking good
dreMR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreMR For This Useful Post:
Mita (30-06-2020)
Old 30-06-2020, 07:02   #112
Mita
Senior User

Thanks mate, loads of ****ty work !
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
dreMR (30-06-2020)
Old 30-06-2020, 15:31   #113
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
I take it you plan on properly using it then ?

yeah,... we like to run them in the snow, when we can.. so rust protection is of highest importance...

The last car I did got a total mechanical overhaul, and some alcantara interior trim, but we made sure to strip all of the underseal, treat the surface rust that started above the tank and diff, and put new underseal and stone chip protection everywhere..
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
Mita (30-06-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 06:58   #114
Mita
Senior User

Update time , next up was the fuel tank. I've not many pics of this. As we all know the fuel tank is probably the rarest Evo part now, and finding a clean non rusty one is near on impossible. New ones are also long gone. As I was removing everything from the underside, the tank wasn't too hard to remove. It was one of the last things I removed except the fuel and brake lines.

[IMG]IMG_0578 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2767 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2768 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

Bit dusty! I gave it a good clean up with thinners, which started to take off the crap factory paint, as you can see the tank had some surface rust. And a few dents from stones, but really really clean. No rust in the seams , a few pics below of the topside of the tank. It was "as new" and the pipework was all still gold and most importantly un cut which is a rarity now also.

[IMG]IMG_2772 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2773 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2774 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
evo5d (04-07-2020), Silent_Scone (04-07-2020), squeakyclean32 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 07:04   #115
Mita
Senior User

So originally I wasn't going to remove the heat/stone guards on the tank, but looking closely you could see that there was no paint (or very little) behind them, no wonder these things rot. So I decided to drill out the spot welds on them and remove them, it was going to make painting the tank loads easier anyway.

[IMG]IMG_2807 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_2809 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2811 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]
squeakyclean32 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 07:17   #116
Mita
Senior User

So next once the shields were off I took the tank to Dave to blast and powder coat. Next came a bit of a shock! Dave called and informed me I had brown rust looking sludge in the tank. I had removed the tank literally 5 years ago and chucked it in my spare bedroom, I had drained it to remove it. But there was still fuel in in, my thoughts were it would stop the rust. Unfortunately not enough research was done, and fuel breaks down encouraging moisture! **** **** ****! I picked the tank up from Dave and got it back to inspect the damage . For some reason I've no pics just a few vids. I was probably bloody too annoyed. Up on inspection, the red /brown sludge luckily wasn't rust. It was off fuel, so I bought some tank flush from Rust. I got 2 bottles and did 2 separate flushes. Not only does it clean out the tank, it also rust proofs it - Nice.

Minty tank , very happy. Looks new inside. By this point Dave had more work on, and I really needed to do the tank. I got him to blast it and the shields. I then phosphated it all ready for paint. I really wanted to use the Epoxy for the tank paint as its so bloody tough. In an ideal world I would of sprayed it all, but time and space were not a luxury at the time. So I brushed the Epoxy. As before I Stripe Coated all edges twice and worked the brush in seams etc. Then 3 coats of Epoxy. It came out matt, which I was pleased with.

I decided to only put the large heat shield back on , the 2 small ones were a bit beaten up and its not going to be doing any rally stages so I have them stored away.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:26   #117
Mita
Senior User

Next up was the fuel pump, after the fuel fiasco I didn't feel as confident as I would of liked using my 10k fuel pump. So that again got stored away. I didn't really want to go Warlbro 255, firstly because I had no idea of future power goals (this will come later ). Secondly I wanted to stay pretty OE for now and silly as it sounds I wasn't keen on cutting the stock loom. Luckily for me a NOS Evo IX pump came up for grabs. I also purchased a brand new fuel "sock"

[IMG]IMG_3153 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3154 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3155 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3157 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also got a new filter for the other side while I was there. Excuse the upside down pics

[IMG]IMG_3158 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3159 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

I didn't bother asking Dave to plate the two covers and pipes, they were so clean.

Last edited by Mita; 04-07-2020 at 07:54..
Old 04-07-2020, 07:39   #118
Mita
Senior User

I was planning on keeping the original fuel and brake lines as they were clean. But as many who've done this will know, putting back parts that don't come out of Mitsi OE packs is hard

Just a few pics below, trying not to bore people to death

I laid out the new set of pipes next to the old ones. The new ones come in bits, all separate in bags as well as all the clips . This was a massive PITA getting right. Just trial and error , but to anyone doing it 100% get all new clips and bits. Its so much easier copying the old ones for orientation as well as lengths etc. A bit of bending was needed for the new pipes, which was a bit hairy to say the least. You just have to go really steady.

[IMG]IMG_2894 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2895 by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-07-2020, 07:49   #119
squeakyclean32
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo 9 ... The New Project :)
My Car
All credit to you Steve

I'm enjoying the updates on this thread... The Evo's gonna look stunning

Upcoming MLR Events

EVENT POSTPONED - New date 4th October 2020
MLR @ JAPFEST Silverstone 2020 Click Here
squeakyclean32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squeakyclean32 For This Useful Post:
Mita (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 07:49   #120
Mita
Senior User

Once I had the lines to my satisfaction I offered them up to the car. What a nightmare on my back. Trying to get them back in without scratching them or anything else was a nightmare. And getting them to fit right was a PITA. It took a fair bit of offering up, removing, bending and repeat.

Finally got them to my liking and got them in.

Tank was then to follow, just a reversal of removal in truth. Very fiddly on my back, again trying not to scratch anything. And the tank is heavy on your own.

To be honest I was looking forward to the "putting back together" stage. But it quickly became an anti climax. Its just so stressful, being careful and trying to remember where stuff went

And don't talk to me about lost bolts

Bit random, but only one pic of the fuel filler pipe . Again this is a part that always rust on old Evo's. Not on mine though again it was mint. I had Dave blast it, he took off the shields also that a stuck on. He also blasted the lower shield. All this was the powder coated.

[IMG]5d0a6cac-712c-4685-bb4a-699745f21a5d by Steve Kershaw, on Flickr[/IMG]
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: