The Modified RalliArt 09 - Thread - Page 5 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Picture & Video Gallery

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 13:02   #61
SpikeMY09GSR

Car: Lancer Sportback Ralliart GSR SST
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidV View Post
Coil overs, big brakes to start then will get some EVO x bits later. Want to focus on stance to begin with and im happy with the power I have now. Stepped up from a 1.2 corsa so it was a decent jump haha. Karel has already been in touch but if anyone else has bits feel free to give me an email. I also can't see the for sale section because I'm not a paid member yet. Also does anyone know if 18x8.75 et 35 rims would fit a sportback?
Follow this link to post 527 for a list of coilovers

https://www.lancerregister.com/showth...318607&page=36

Alternative is Eibach springs just to get the stance, cost is obviously a lot less

Big brakes are big money, only ones I have seen on an RA are Stoptech.

Do you mean 18x8.5 et35? Yes, these fit as same as EVO X wheels but have to fit 225/40 tyres as 235/40 rub the rear arches.

Most obvious bit you need is an X IC and pipes, then you can safely remap up to 300 bhp.
SpikeMY09GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-02-2014, 17:31   #62
DavidV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMY09GSR View Post
Follow this link to post 527 for a list of coilovers

https://www.lancerregister.com/showth...318607&page=36

Alternative is Eibach springs just to get the stance, cost is obviously a lot less

Big brakes are big money, only ones I have seen on an RA are Stoptech.

Do you mean 18x8.5 et35? Yes, these fit as same as EVO X wheels but have to fit 225/40 tyres as 235/40 rub the rear arches.

Most obvious bit you need is an X IC and pipes, then you can safely remap up to 300 bhp.
I've seen the lists of mods but I can't find any suppliers. I jave found k sport big brakes on the eight speed website which i could get front and rear for the same price as front stoptechs lol. No I mean 18x8.75 et 35 really weird size ay?
https://japshop.secured-area.co.uk/a...CH-ALLOYS.html
DavidV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 19:54   #63
labevo8

Is the evo x intercooler a straight swap ? Do any mods need to be done? Just brought 1 for my wifes ralliart
labevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 20:12   #64
SpikeMY09GSR

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by labevo8 View Post
Is the evo x intercooler a straight swap ? Do any mods need to be done? Just brought 1 for my wifes ralliart
Yes, X IC is straight swap but you will need the X LICP and the pipe for the BOV, better fit the X BOV as well. Also get a remap as soon as you can?
Old 08-05-2014, 18:52   #65
labevo8

any pics of hoses/pipes i need i read u need the upper one not lower?
labevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:08   #66
SpikeMY09GSR

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by labevo8 View Post
any pics of hoses/pipes i need i read u need the upper one not lower?
Pretty sure you will need the lower one and the pipe to the BOV.

Pic of the 2 pipes below. There is a pic of the 2 IC on page one of this thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by SpikeMY09GSR; 09-05-2014 at 07:15..
Old 21-05-2014, 22:16   #67
SpikeMY09GSR

My Car
Latest Mods

Fitted one of these
Attached Images

Old 22-05-2014, 00:43   #68
SpikeMY09GSR

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMY09GSR View Post
Fitted one of these
Removes a restriction from the standard turbo elbow.
Attached Images

Old 14-06-2014, 06:28   #69
DavidV

Still looking for parts for my ralliart. Bog standard atm. Getting some discs and pads on payday from indigo gt. Then plan on tein h tech springs and an AEM induction kit. If anyones got any mods for sale let me know.
DavidV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 14:30   #70
Gepetto

Car: Lancer Ralliart Sportback
This post is primarily looking to pick Spike's brains regarding his turbo conversion, but, any input would be welcomed, as I have already started collecting parts!

I am looking to convert my RA Sportback to the EVO X turbo and see that a couple of people have been down this route. I was considering just remapping the standard TD04 turbo, in combination with the EVO X intercooler and the freer flowing exhaust that is already in the car. This should give me around 300BHP with quick spooling from the smaller turbo, but, if I go down the route of installing a TD05 turbo I will obviously have greater potential out of the box.

My questions basically run along the lines of "will I always want more" and "doh, I should have fitted a X turbo to begin with", as I appreciate that squeezing anything more out of the TD04 would be well nigh impossible whilst the TD05 should give an easily obtainable 350BHP.

My key question would be, is the spooling of the TD05 turbo from the X dramatically slower, or much higher in the rev range rendering the performance more suitable for the track than a daily driver? Also, if I go down the route of the X turbo, should I also condider aftermarket turbos that fit the X? Perhaps ball bearing turbos that would spool quicker. This would possibly be a step too far with the Sportback, as the brakes need looking at now with circa 250BHP, and the suspension is something that also will need attention with more power.
Gepetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 19:08   #71
SpikeMY09GSR

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
This post is primarily looking to pick Spike's brains regarding his turbo conversion, but, any input would be welcomed, as I have already started collecting parts!

I am looking to convert my RA Sportback to the EVO X turbo and see that a couple of people have been down this route. I was considering just remapping the standard TD04 turbo, in combination with the EVO X intercooler and the freer flowing exhaust that is already in the car. This should give me around 300BHP with quick spooling from the smaller turbo, but, if I go down the route of installing a TD05 turbo I will obviously have greater potential out of the box.

My questions basically run along the lines of "will I always want more" and "doh, I should have fitted a X turbo to begin with", as I appreciate that squeezing anything more out of the TD04 would be well nigh impossible whilst the TD05 should give an easily obtainable 350BHP.

My key question would be, is the spooling of the TD05 turbo from the X dramatically slower, or much higher in the rev range rendering the performance more suitable for the track than a daily driver? Also, if I go down the route of the X turbo, should I also condider aftermarket turbos that fit the X? Perhaps ball bearing turbos that would spool quicker. This would possibly be a step too far with the Sportback, as the brakes need looking at now with circa 250BHP, and the suspension is something that also will need attention with more power.
All good questions, thanks for asking.

Everyone has different opinions but this is what I would do if I was doing it all again...........

Yes, definitely well worth just getting a professional custom remap as it is an instant +60 bhp and makes the SST so much more responsive. Bits you should get to make this safe and reliable are:
X IC and LIC/BOV pipes.
X BOV
3 port boost control solenoid.

I would recommend Andy at AC Speed Tech in Warrington or Matt at TRL in Halifax.

I wouldn't do any more engine mods without first sorting the brakes.....
Unfortunately, only brake upgrade I can recommend is STOPTECH BBK. My car was fine with just the front upgrade. To fit this you will also need to change the wheels for something with more calliper clearance such as X or Rota Torque.

Once the brakes are sorted then you can think about the next power upgrade. Simplest and most cost effective is the X turbo. You will need as follows:
All the parts above
X turbo
X manifold
All oil and coolant pipes for turbo
all can be had at reasonable prices second hand
Full custom turbo back exhaust inc X O2 sensor housing or upgraded turbo elbow

Professional custom remap

The X turbo actually spools better than the RA one as it is twin scroll and makes more power through the whole rev range so you won't loose any drivability.

I wouldn't recommend any further power mods without major and very expensive engine and SST upgrades such as rod job and seal/clutch packs.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions and what you decide?
Good luck Spike
The Following User Says Thank You to SpikeMY09GSR For This Useful Post:
Gepetto (29-07-2014)
Old 29-07-2014, 21:10   #72
Gepetto

Cheers Spike. Much appreciated.

What you have stated has confirmed what I suspected through my reading, although I certainly was not aware of the increased drivability due to the twin scroll. Logical though!

I am going to leave the car as it is for now, and start collecting bits. I've just sourced a manifold and oil pipe from the sale forum, and I already have the X intercooler and all pipes. So, I think brake upgrades have just gone to the top of the list, as well as the turbo and the exhaust pieces. I see there's a kit available from the States that seems to provide the ancillaries needed for the swap. When you say a full custom turbo back exhaust I am assuming I can use my stainless cat-back system and that all the connections from the turbo can be custom made? Is it wise to use a sports cat or should I try to find a X cat? As a daily driver I don't want to run into MOT issues.

Pity about having to change the wheels as I really like the standard ones. Regarding the rear brakes, it appears the X Brembo's can me made to fit the Lancer, according to the American forum, so I'll do some more reading on that. At a cursory glance it appears that the front brake calipers are identical to the EVO IV (or maybe the V), so I was thinking about following that up (as any IV upgraded parts might fit). Also, does anyone run 19" wheels? Whilst on the subject of wheels, and more importantly, stance, do you recommend any suspension changes or simply lowering springs? Mine sits quite high on the standard springs but I'm not really sure about the capability of the standard shocks. She certainly wasn't nailed down in the corners whilst playing with a TT a little while ago.

Thank you for the input. Really welcome!
Old 30-07-2014, 23:59   #73
SpikeMY09GSR

My Car
Quote:
Cheers Spike. Much appreciated.

What you have stated has confirmed what I suspected through my reading, although I certainly was not aware of the increased drivability due to the twin scroll. Logical though!

I am going to leave the car as it is for now, and start collecting bits. I've just sourced a manifold and oil pipe from the sale forum, and I already have the X intercooler and all pipes. So, I think brake upgrades have just gone to the top of the list, as well as the turbo and the exhaust pieces. I see there's a kit available from the States that seems to provide the ancillaries needed for the swap. When you say a full custom turbo back exhaust I am assuming I can use my stainless cat-back system and that all the connections from the turbo can be custom made? Is it wise to use a sports cat or should I try to find a X cat? As a daily driver I don't want to run into MOT issues.

Pity about having to change the wheels as I really like the standard ones. Regarding the rear brakes, it appears the X Brembo's can me made to fit the Lancer, according to the American forum, so I'll do some more reading on that. At a cursory glance it appears that the front brake calipers are identical to the EVO IV (or maybe the V), so I was thinking about following that up (as any IV upgraded parts might fit). Also, does anyone run 19" wheels? Whilst on the subject of wheels, and more importantly, stance, do you recommend any suspension changes or simply lowering springs? Mine sits quite high on the standard springs but I'm not really sure about the capability of the standard shocks. She certainly wasn't nailed down in the corners whilst playing with a TT a little while ago.

Thank you for the input. Really welcome!
I say custom made as you can't buy an RA specific 3" SS exhaust in this country. So you have CAT back all you now need is the O2 sensor and connecting pipe or turbo elbow like mine above. I run a metallic sports CAT and have had no issues with MOT but you will have to turn off the CAT performance warning engine check, can be done as part of the re-map.

The front calipers are from the outlander and are basically not up to the job, 3 stops from 80-20 and they start to grumble. Like I said my car was fine with just the front STOPTECH and is fantastic with front and back.

Everyone loves more power but suspension is very individual. I like quite a soft ride so kept my suspension completely standard until a few months ago. It certainly has more grip on coilovers but is also much less comfortably. It is up to you to decide what you want. Just Eibach springs will get you the stance and improve grip but won't totally ruin the ride, it's a good compromise.

BTW if you go down the X turbo route you will probably have to get the SST rebuilt and upgraded, mine lasted 3 years before it started slipping due to seals leaking. Just a word of warning as it is very expensive. I think the SST is OK with just a remap and SST flash to access S-Sport mode. S-Sport mode has higher clamp pressure so reduces slip to a minimum which should make it last longer.

Happy moding, it is certainly a interesting journey that everyone should do at least once.

Last edited by SpikeMY09GSR; 31-07-2014 at 00:02..
Old 09-09-2014, 16:34   #74
Gepetto

Cheers Spike.

Yes the SST does worry me a little. It does seem a complicated box of tricks.

I have a question regarding your cam swap.

Did you use a standard X cam, or is the "TRL Stage 1" mentioned in your post a more aggressive cam than a standard X? I'm getting some comments (on various Forums) saying the Sportback cams are softer, and some saying they are identical (down to the serial number) as the ones in the X. I bought a secondhand set of X cams from the Forum but there's not much point in changing them if they're identical Doh!

Also, did your cam change make any noticeable difference to the driving characteristics?
Old 11-09-2014, 23:32   #75
SpikeMY09GSR

My Car
Quote:
Cheers Spike.

Yes the SST does worry me a little. It does seem a complicated box of tricks.

I have a question regarding your cam swap.

Did you use a standard X cam, or is the "TRL Stage 1" mentioned in your post a more aggressive cam than a standard X? I'm getting some comments (on various Forums) saying the Sportback cams are softer, and some saying they are identical (down to the serial number) as the ones in the X. I bought a secondhand set of X cams from the Forum but there's not much point in changing them if they're identical Doh!

Also, did your cam change make any noticeable difference to the driving characteristics?
Everyone says the RA cams are softer than the X and that they are different. RA certainly struggle to make the same power as an X with standard cams.

Yes, I changed mine for TRL stage 1 cams for a 40 bhp increase but lost some low end flexibility. I would fthe X cam you should see 20 bhp increase I think?

The tomei turbo elbow was a good mod as well, I would recommend this and then all you would need is sport cat for full exhaust.

Last edited by SpikeMY09GSR; 11-09-2014 at 23:33..
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: