Advice needed regarding work within motorsport industry - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Non-Lancer Chat

Old 11-01-2010, 20:53   #1
antbern

Car: Evo 6 hillclimb prep'd
Advice needed regarding work within motorsport industry

As the title implies, I am trying to get my foot in the door and land a motorsport related job. I've done a course in mechanical engineering at the University of Malta, and graduated top of my class with a first class in Motorsport engineering (Hons) at Bristol. I've got a good deal of experience with hillclimb prepping etc etc, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints and tips. I ve been looking at autosport.com for jobs but those all seem to require F1 experience. I'm not aiming for F1 to begin with, just something motorsport related, where i can show off some skills

Any advice is deeply appreciated...

Cheers,

Julian

Old 11-01-2010, 22:33   #2
Dommy

Car: ping again!
My Car
I'd say get to as many race meets as possible. Whichever country is easiest for you to get to, here, france, spain wherever. Then just try and getting chatting to some of the teams in the pits. The old adage definately applies here - "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

I looked into doing some sort of motorsport related mechanical engineering course at ocford brookes, but they were 8 years long! Think I've left it a bit late as I'm 30 next month.
Dommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 18:29   #3
Barry P.
Senior User

Car: Red Evo IX GT, Silver Evo 2 GSR, Radical SR3, Van Diemen Formula Ford,and a big "Datsun".
My Car
If you are prepared to move to the UK it is worth contacting Palmersport at Thurleigh , Bedford. This company is owned by Jonathan Palmer, they run the Formula Audi Palmer cars, F2 and lots of corporate cars. They are usually loooking for mechanics, the pays rubbish to start off with but it is a foot in the door and you could probably get a job with one of the UK based Formula Renault or F3 teams after about 18months.
Old 12-01-2010, 18:43   #4
Kosta

Location: A cosmopolitan North West holiday resort - Morecambe
My Car
Send your CV to loads of teams.

We get numerous emails every week, so if u make yourself stand out from the rest you may have a good chance
Kosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 22:00   #5
antbern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dommy View Post
I'd say get to as many race meets as possible. Whichever country is easiest for you to get to, here, france, spain wherever. Then just try and getting chatting to some of the teams in the pits. The old adage definately applies here - "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

I looked into doing some sort of motorsport related mechanical engineering course at ocford brookes, but they were 8 years long! Think I've left it a bit late as I'm 30 next month.
Cheers for the advice! Yeah i try to get to every race meet close by, but Im finding it pretty challenging to meet the 'right' people.
Old 12-01-2010, 22:04   #6
antbern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry P. View Post
If you are prepared to move to the UK it is worth contacting Palmersport at Thurleigh , Bedford. This company is owned by Jonathan Palmer, they run the Formula Audi Palmer cars, F2 and lots of corporate cars. They are usually loooking for mechanics, the pays rubbish to start off with but it is a foot in the door and you could probably get a job with one of the UK based Formula Renault or F3 teams after about 18months.
Cheers for the info. Ye I've lived in the Uk in the past and would definately be willing to move for a job with palmersport. I've just got such a passion for engineering anything motorsport related that location is not an issue. How do you suggest I contact them, as my normal 'covering letter and CV email' never really get me very far.
Old 12-01-2010, 22:07   #7
antbern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
Send your CV to loads of teams.

We get numerous emails every week, so if u make yourself stand out from the rest you may have a good chance
I've sent my CV to all the F3 teams, but i rarely even got a reply Could it be that i am aiming to high? What teams would you think I ve got a chance with? Would you like my CV ?

Really appreciate everyone trying to help a fellow MLR'er out

Julian
Old 13-01-2010, 23:19   #8
Nad

Car: Evo V, Blue GTI-R, Martini Nova
My Car
I think as most who have jobs within the Industry will agree with, its a case of who you know. All the people I know who have jobs, got them through recommendations of others.

It's very hard to get in. Look at Junior Wilson driving Focus WRC cars, if his dad wasn't running the company, no chance, likewise Colin Mcrae though his father etc.

You could say that experience speaks, but then that in itself is a recommendation anyway. Also, with the economy as it is, jobs are thin on the ground. 18months back Prodrive had 35 motorsport jobs going, it's about 3 now with most others being QC stuff.

Unless you are in the pratical side, from what friends have said, the computer based jobs, design, calibration etc, could be in any industry, they don't feel motorsport biased.

That is why, most people I know never went into Motorsport after uni and ended up elsewhere. Those that did, moved on! It's funny how things turn out. Friend of mine is employed by Prodrive, but works for Ford. Even when you have your foot in the door, it may not be what you think.

Good luck.

Also, try and get a copy of the Autosport Trade Guides, plenty of companies in there to contact.

Last edited by Nad; 13-01-2010 at 23:21..
Nad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 00:52   #9
Nad

My Car
Picked up a copy of the trade guide for you from ASI.

Let me know if you want it.
Old 25-01-2010, 19:43   #10
antbern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad View Post
Picked up a copy of the trade guide for you from ASI.

Let me know if you want it.
Cheers for that Are there any good ones in there?
Old 25-01-2010, 20:22   #11
Nad

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbern View Post
Cheers for that Are there any good ones in there?
For some reason Msport and Prodrive weren't there but loads of other companies. Are you actually in Malta? If so, if its easier, I can scan the pages with the companies in and email them over. 2/3 of the booklet is just adverts from those companies.

Thanks

Nad
Old 25-01-2010, 20:37   #12
Barry P.
Senior User

Car: Red Evo IX GT, Silver Evo 2 GSR, Radical SR3, Van Diemen Formula Ford,and a big "Datsun".
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbern View Post
Cheers for the info. Ye I've lived in the Uk in the past and would definately be willing to move for a job with palmersport. I've just got such a passion for engineering anything motorsport related that location is not an issue. How do you suggest I contact them, as my normal 'covering letter and CV email' never really get me very far.
They had a job advertisement in Autosport recently, they are currently recruiting for this season.Look on Autosport.com in the jobs section. Closing date is 28th Jan so you will need to get your finger out!

Last edited by Barry P.; 25-01-2010 at 20:39..
Barry P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: