ND Con Rod Feedback Please! - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Marketplace > MLR Platinum Option Trader: Norris Designs

Old 14-08-2008, 19:08   #16
JamieL

Car: Nissan GTR 1300HP [email protected]
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloke101 View Post
If the job was done in situ could it be people 'hitting' the rod too hard when fitting causing stress on the pin which is amplified when run?
I have never had to hit a rod yet to install it when the rings are compressed with a ring compressor and plenty of engine oil on the pistons and bores they can be pushed into place,
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-08-2008, 19:14   #17
charlie-boy

Car: gt35r 2044cc 600bhp @ 2.4bar
My Car
can i ask what mods are needed to the std pistons in order to run steel rods please guys?
Old 14-08-2008, 19:21   #18
JamieL

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-boy View Post
can i ask what mods are needed to the std pistons in order to run steel rods please guys?
The pistons have to be machined out to accept floating pins also they have to have grooves machined in them to enable the fittment of wrist pin clips
Old 14-08-2008, 19:23   #19
charlie-boy

Car: gt35r 2044cc 600bhp @ 2.4bar
My Car
ah i got ya... thankyou
Old 14-08-2008, 19:39   #20
bloke101

Car: Evoless atm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_v1 View Post
I have never had to hit a rod yet to install it when the rings are compressed with a ring compressor and plenty of engine oil on the pistons and bores they can be pushed into place,
Be supprised what some people do.
Old 15-08-2008, 06:39   #21
EvolutionVI

Car: Evo VI TME GT35R,Evo IX Wagon,white Evo X 09 + a R35GTR 09,what else do i need?
My Car
Quote:
Can u please tell me the what is the diffrence between u compressing piston rings and instaling the pistons in the block then torquing the big end caps up to anybody else that builds engines for a living?
Im not saying that you did something wrong with the install,for sure not,as i have not seen the pistons/parts..........that are broken...

I just said that i had one failure on around 30 conversions,and this was one of two set i have not installed myself,as it was a mailorder job.
Im sure the guy who put it in didn´t assemble the pin security rings correct,as it happend after about 1000km from install.

All conversions done by me are working fine,so there "could" be the problem in the install....as normaly the pistonpin doesn´t get too much pressure to throw the security rings out,when they are installed correctly.
Old 15-08-2008, 06:47   #22
JamieL

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionVI View Post
Im not saying that you did something wrong with the install,for sure not,as i have not seen the pistons/parts..........that are broken...

I just said that i had one failure on around 30 conversions,and this was one of two set i have not installed myself,as it was a mailorder job.
Im sure the guy who put it in didn´t assemble the pin security rings correct,as it happend after about 1000km from install.

All conversions done by me are working fine,so there "could" be the problem in the install....as normaly the pistonpin doesn´t get too much pressure to throw the security rings out,when they are installed correctly.
The rods and pistons come already assembled with the retaining rings fitted from nd ready to install into the block
Old 15-08-2008, 06:55   #23
EvolutionVI

Car: Evo VI TME GT35R,Evo IX Wagon,white Evo X 09 + a R35GTR 09,what else do i need?
My Car
Quote:
The rods and pistons come already assembled with the retaining rings fitted from nd ready to install into the block

That changes the situation a bit.

Have you checked the security rings befor the install?? Maybe one of them was not in 100%
Old 15-08-2008, 07:06   #24
JamieL

My Car
Quote:
That changes the situation a bit.

Have you checked the security rings befor the install?? Maybe one of them was not in 100%
Surely thats what i paid nd to do when i had them machine the pistions and fit the rods onto them for me then when i got them back all i had to do was fit them into the bores and rebuild the engine,

Or should i be checking work that i have paid somebody else to do if i wanted to do that i would of had the pistons machined myself and fitted the rods a clips
Old 15-08-2008, 07:16   #25
Northy 8

Car: i'm back with a proper evo now//Rd and sprint car only//evo 6rs
done

Work done by nr, 2 bar of boost,
10,000 miles,
I have done lots of sprints/dragging,
The car has been used very hard,,
Its been spot on,
500bhp
Old 15-08-2008, 07:41   #26
EvolutionVI

My Car
Quote:
Surely thats what i paid nd to do when i had them machine the pistions and fit the rods onto them for me then when i got them back all i had to do was fit them into the bores and rebuild the engine,

Or should i be checking work that i have paid somebody else to do if i wanted to do that i would of had the pistons machined myself and fitted the rods a clips
Not saying ND did something wrong,everything i had to do with them was spot on,much better then with some other UK Tuners,but mistakes can happen everywhere,maybe one of the locks was not 100% where it should.....

I learned from experience,check everything what could go wrong twice,takes a bit more time but saves you a lot hassle and time in the longrun.

In the end is important how ND handles the situation with you,and from my point of view,he did very good,did you a good deal with the stroker,asks anybody about the experience/failures etc on a internet forum.....this shows how good he is,takes the critic and try´s to get better,other tuners would have said go f*ck yo*rse*f.............

Just my view.
Alex
Old 15-08-2008, 07:51   #27
JamieL

My Car
Quote:
Not saying ND did something wrong,everything i had to do with them was spot on,much better then with some other UK Tuners,but mistakes can happen everywhere,maybe one of the locks was not 100% where it should.....

I learned from experience,check everything what could go wrong twice,takes a bit more time but saves you a lot hassle and time in the longrun.

In the end is important how ND handles the situation with you,and from my point of view,he did very good,did you a good deal with the stroker,asks anybody about the experience/failures etc on a internet forum.....this shows how good he is,takes the critic and try´s to get better,other tuners would have said go f*ck yo*rse*f.............

Just my view.
Alex

I appreciate what he has done and i am satisfied with the outcome but when i pay for a service i would expect it to be carried out correctly so i do not have to check it imho
Old 15-08-2008, 07:56   #28
see yaa !!

Car: evo 5 NR 280
Quote:
I appreciate what he has done and i am satisfied with the outcome but when i pay for a service i would expect it to be carried out correctly so i do not have to check it imho
to be fair pal surely its better to double check everything measure twice cut once as they say

in my line of work quite often you have to follow other peoples work and its just good practise to make sure that something hasn't been overlooked

maintained and modded by meeeeeeester rountree

http://www.nr-autosport.com/
see yaa !! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 07:57   #29
EvolutionVI

My Car
Quote:

Normaly you dont need to check,yes,but we are all human(ok,most of us),we are all doing mistakes from time to time,should not happen,but happens,standing to mistakes that we have done is the best we can do,and Simon did stand to it
Old 15-08-2008, 08:23   #30
evo8mr_bobby

My Car
Quote:

yea maybe so, but like you i sent simon my pistons and rods to do the rod conversion, got them back a few days later, but still checked them over properly as you never know how the post man had handled them etc

(p.s we get loads of parcels a day and the delivery people dont care how they drop the parcels off to you, it could say this way up only, fragile but they still come with them over the shoulder and throw them down.)

Fishing Tackle Shop Owner
evo8mr_bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: