odd engine startup/ indicator flash? - Page 6 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
 
 

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Electrical / Security / ICE / Navigation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 08:09   #76
danb87
Senior User
 
danb87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sussex
Car: Evo 8 fq300mr 547hp blouch 760xtr
My Car
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
Ok, well, any bigger battery will be better, remember to check:

physical size - can you make it fit
terminal orientation - do the terminals need to be a certain way round for the cables to reach
cca - higher is better

just a quick google for bosch batteries

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.u...FVS4GwodM_oB1g

but there are so many to choose from, you can find 1 to suit your needs

Reason I mentioned gel batteries is they offer higher cca figures for smaller size, they are expensive. Also being in the boot, gel batteries dont need to be vented. But I tried small gel batteries under the bonnet and wasnt a fan, it would need to be a decent sized gel battery, ie physically bigger than the battery you have now

Stu
is a gel battery an agm one?

just looking now so ive an idea of a cost etc. wheres best to buy one of the gel types.?
danb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 18-01-2017, 08:17   #77
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Posts: 21,755
http://www.optimabatteries.co.uk/en/...dtop-s-37.html

This is the kind of thing I mean by gel, people tend to use them for weight saving, and large power for small size

Im not sure but I dont think AGM and Gel are the same, but not sure

I had a small gel battery under the bonnet twice, neither lasted a winter, but, im pretty sure it was just too small to handle the drains and harder starting over colder periods, i do feel the larger gel batteries would have been fine, but didnt try them

Stu
__________________
CPP Motor Developments - CPP MLR page - CPP Facebook
RG Motorsport - www.rgmotorsport.co.uk

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:19   #78
danb87
Senior User
 
danb87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sussex
Car: Evo 8 fq300mr 547hp blouch 760xtr
My Car
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
http://www.optimabatteries.co.uk/en/...dtop-s-37.html

This is the kind of thing I mean by gel, people tend to use them for weight saving, and large power for small size

Im not sure but I dont think AGM and Gel are the same, but not sure

I had a small gel battery under the bonnet twice, neither lasted a winter, but, im pretty sure it was just too small to handle the drains and harder starting over colder periods, i do feel the larger gel batteries would have been fine, but didnt try them

Stu
so is it worth avoiding one of these, i dont plan to put the battery back under the bonnet.

some of the sizes im reading are massive!!

wont beable to get me golf clubs in the boot
danb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:32   #79
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Posts: 21,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb87 View Post
so is it worth avoiding one of these, i dont plan to put the battery back under the bonnet.

some of the sizes im reading are massive!!

wont beable to get me golf clubs in the boot
Golf clubs will fit on the back seat evo boots are useless anyway

Yer, you dont need massive. if it were me i'd go with something similar to that Bosch I posted, but remember to check terminal orientation. If you feel that is too big, an 075T battery is smaller, but still substancially better than what you have at the moment. Personally for me though, i'd go bigger, purely because of the boot relocation. If I were to buy another early evo, i'd put an 075T under the bonnet. I did that with my 5 several years ago, cheapy no brand battery, and several years later, never had a battery issue.

I wouldnt go for a gel battery again, simply because the added cost doesnt justify the weight saving for me

Stu
__________________
CPP Motor Developments - CPP MLR page - CPP Facebook
RG Motorsport - www.rgmotorsport.co.uk

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:33   #80
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Posts: 21,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb87 View Post

some of the sizes im reading are massive!!
You want to see the size of the batteries on my tractors and the cost

Stu
__________________
CPP Motor Developments - CPP MLR page - CPP Facebook
RG Motorsport - www.rgmotorsport.co.uk

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:39   #81
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Posts: 21,755
gel batteries designed for cars do not cope well with being allowed to go flat, or more to the point, not enough left in them to start the car. Mine were fine till the first cold day, the car had not started for a few days, tried and failed to start, after that the battery was knackered. I am sure this was a capacity issue though, ie it was too small. If it had been bigger, thus larger capacity, it would have had enough charge to not have the failed start that killed them both

Same is true for normal car batteries to be fair, but, the demise of the small gel battery for me was instant, once it failed to start the car, it was knackered. normal batteries can be more tolerant of going flat, and performance declines more gradually after going flat

Stu
__________________
CPP Motor Developments - CPP MLR page - CPP Facebook
RG Motorsport - www.rgmotorsport.co.uk

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale

Last edited by stu8; 18-01-2017 at 08:42..
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:45   #82
[email protected] Performance
Senior User
 
James@ECK Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
My Car
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
I think 35mm2 would be 2awg (not sure though)

Stu
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb87 View Post
Hi James,

just to confirm cable is 35mm2, does not have an awg on it.
Hi guys,
35mm is just over 2awg so yep no problem there. Is the ground from battery the same size Dan? And is it connected to bare metal, crimped with ring connectors?

So could've just been a faulty battery all together Dan. The thing with batteries is, you never know how long they've sat for before purchase.
Do you have any warranty on it? Worth a look also.
__________________
ECK Performance Ignitions
EVOCOPKITS.COM
[email protected]


James@ECK Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:49   #83
danb87
Senior User
 
danb87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sussex
Car: Evo 8 fq300mr 547hp blouch 760xtr
My Car
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Performance View Post
Hi guys,
35mm is just over 2awg so yep no problem there. Is the ground from battery the same size Dan? And is it connected to bare metal, crimped with ring connectors?

So could've just been a faulty battery all together Dan. The thing with batteries is, you never know how long they've sat for before purchase.
Do you have any warranty on it? Worth a look also.
will have to check all the earths, i believe the cable to be thinner ( not by much though) visually anyway.

yes battery is covered for 4 years. so ill also be looking into that!
danb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:50   #84
danb87
Senior User
 
danb87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sussex
Car: Evo 8 fq300mr 547hp blouch 760xtr
My Car
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
Golf clubs will fit on the back seat evo boots are useless anyway

Yer, you dont need massive. if it were me i'd go with something similar to that Bosch I posted, but remember to check terminal orientation. If you feel that is too big, an 075T battery is smaller, but still substancially better than what you have at the moment. Personally for me though, i'd go bigger, purely because of the boot relocation. If I were to buy another early evo, i'd put an 075T under the bonnet. I did that with my 5 several years ago, cheapy no brand battery, and several years later, never had a battery issue.

I wouldnt go for a gel battery again, simply because the added cost doesnt justify the weight saving for me

Stu
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
You want to see the size of the batteries on my tractors and the cost

Stu
tbh, ive found the boot, alot better than a new golf R i had! does what i need it to at the mo anyway.

im going to avoid a gel battery, as ill probally have another daily soon anyway. an if cars sat for a few days with no use its a waste of money.
danb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:53   #85
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Posts: 21,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb87 View Post
will have to check all the earths, i believe the cable to be thinner ( not by much though) visually anyway.

yes battery is covered for 4 years. so ill also be looking into that!
if its visibly thinner, that would be quite substancial with regards guage. But, it is only a short run on the -ve, so that wouldnt worry me as much

Personally, i'd just go with a decent sized battery, even if it doesnt fix the problem, it narrows down the search, and will be far better suited for a boot relocation than the battery you have

Warrenty wise, i'd feel a little uncomfortable trying to claim, it maybe faulty, but it may also have failed as you have bought a battery that is too small for its purpose, in that case its not really a fair warrenty claim

Stu
__________________
CPP Motor Developments - CPP MLR page - CPP Facebook
RG Motorsport - www.rgmotorsport.co.uk

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:55   #86
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Posts: 21,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb87 View Post
tbh, ive found the boot, alot better than a new golf R i had! does what i need it to at the mo anyway.

im going to avoid a gel battery, as ill probally have another daily soon anyway. an if cars sat for a few days with no use its a waste of money.
Ok, well if the car is going to be sat for periods, that justifies even further the cost of buying a bigger battery, and if it may be sat for several days the bigger Bosch maybe more wise than the smaller 075T I mentioned

Stu
__________________
CPP Motor Developments - CPP MLR page - CPP Facebook
RG Motorsport - www.rgmotorsport.co.uk

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
danb87 (18-01-2017)
Old 18-01-2017, 08:55   #87
danb87
Senior User
 
danb87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sussex
Car: Evo 8 fq300mr 547hp blouch 760xtr
My Car
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
if its visibly thinner, that would be quite substancial with regards guage. But, it is only a short run on the -ve, so that wouldnt worry me as much

Personally, i'd just go with a decent sized battery, even if it doesnt fix the problem, it narrows down the search, and will be far better suited for a boot relocation than the battery you have

Warrenty wise, i'd feel a little uncomfortable trying to claim, it maybe faulty, but it may also have failed as you have bought a battery that is too small for its purpose, in that case its not really a fair warrenty claim

Stu
il see what the cable is shortly, but going to hopefully do some tests this evening.
danb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 09:27   #88
[email protected] Performance
Senior User
 
James@ECK Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
My Car
Posts: 174
Measure the wire without the sheath
__________________
ECK Performance Ignitions
EVOCOPKITS.COM
[email protected]



Last edited by [email protected] Performance; 18-01-2017 at 09:29..
James@ECK Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] Performance For This Useful Post:
danb87 (18-01-2017)
Old 18-01-2017, 09:30   #89
danb87
Senior User
 
danb87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sussex
Car: Evo 8 fq300mr 547hp blouch 760xtr
My Car
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Performance View Post
Measure the wire without the sheath
wheres that chart gone?
danb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 10:00   #90
[email protected] Performance
Senior User
 
James@ECK Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
My Car
Posts: 174
Sorry Dan, i got side tracked.
Here you go;
http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?
__________________
ECK Performance Ignitions
EVOCOPKITS.COM
james[email protected]


James@ECK Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] Performance For This Useful Post:
danb87 (18-01-2017)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.