HKS Silent Hi-Power Modification - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Exhaust Systems

Old 13-01-2021, 19:32   #1
Tim M
User

My Car
HKS Silent Hi-Power Modification

Greetings!

We recently purchased a non-running Evo 5 project. We had hoped to use the existing exhaust (Fujitsubo), but corrosion has taken its toll.

We prefer a standard exhaust (non-angled) and quiet due to neighbors/laws.

The HKS Silent Hi Power is our top choice currently, but understand it is not a full 3 inch tip to tip. There is a neck down at some point - possibly at the resonator? We are adding a 3 inch elbow/down pipe and would like to maintain to the rear.

We've read where folks modify this section for full 3 inch - ask if folks could offer an image or instructions on how to accomplish.

Thanks!
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-01-2021, 16:05   #2
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & MR2 Roadster - Previously: Evo9, Evo5, 2 x Evo2, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
If your not shooting for much over stock power the neckdown wont be a problem
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetyrant For This Useful Post:
Tim M (14-01-2021), VR-4Squid (17-01-2021)
Old 14-01-2021, 17:52   #3
Tim M
User

My Car
thetyrant: Thanks for the response. Goal is only 400, but hate to be inefficient at 'upgrades.' We aren't even positive where the issue is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2021, 09:47   #4
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & MR2 Roadster - Previously: Evo9, Evo5, 2 x Evo2, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
thetyrant: Thanks for the response. Goal is only 400, but hate to be inefficient at 'upgrades.' We aren't even positive where the issue is.

If you want 3" then i would go the magnex 3" from rossport with rolled in tailpipe version if there is still 2 options, the rolled in tip is much quieter than massive slash cut version and makes sensible amount of noise, might need to add another silencer if you want it really quiet as true 3" and oem type quiet is tricky!
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 16:13   #5
D.D.A
Senior User

Russ fellows should be able to make what you want
squeakyclean32 (27-01-2021)
Old 17-01-2021, 01:01   #6
VR-4Squid

Car: CP9A Evolution V
Quote:
The pipe through the centre of the back box is significantly smaller than 3" (likely a significant part of the reason they're so quiet). You couldn't really fix it without replacing the back box altogether.
Old 22-01-2021, 20:31   #7
Tim M
User

My Car
VR-4Squid: Excellent info! Unfortunate though...nonetheless, quiet is the requirement for the area along with a OEM like install. We ended up ordering the HKS Silent Hi Power system...

Appreciate the comments folks.
Old 22-01-2021, 22:58   #8
j dog

Car: 2007 evo 9 340
Quote:
VR-4Squid: Excellent info! Unfortunate though...nonetheless, quiet is the requirement for the area along with a OEM like install. We ended up ordering the HKS Silent Hi Power system...

Appreciate the comments folks.
I had a HKS hi power silent, i can confirm it's very quiet, too quiet infact... it's wrong on an evo!!!

I remember it being 3" but tapering down in parts to 2.75", it's obvious to see where these parts are. Cutting and welding will be required to make it 3" but if I'm honest I'm not sure if it will be worth it. Good luck anyway!
j dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 17:53   #9
pastymaster
North Wales RO

Car: Evo X FQ360, GR Yaris, Fiesta ST, Split Screen VW & Bay Window VW
My Car
Send a message via AIM to pastymaster
If you were after quiet then you have ordered a good system. I had mine on a VIII 260 for years and it was quiet.

I'm sure the mid pipe was mild steel which was one of the downsides. It was still a nice exhaust though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pastymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 18:44   #10
pastymaster
North Wales RO

Car: Evo X FQ360, GR Yaris, Fiesta ST, Split Screen VW & Bay Window VW
My Car
Send a message via AIM to pastymaster
In fact, on reflection mine wasn't silent it was the Hi-Power. Too many beers!

Wow, the silent really will be quiet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pastymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 19:15   #11
Phil2333
Tarmac Tyre Shredder

Car: Evo 6, Forged 2ltr 8MR engine...405/400
My Car
Ive had both the hks hi power 409 and the hks hi power silent

Both nice sounding exhausts..the silent is full stainless and quality..the 409 isnt all stainless and will rust...and curves around the diff which is crap imo

The silent is VERY quiet and a bit restrictive...but still nice

The 409 is louder but not by that much....pity it isnt full stainless

Phil2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 21:18   #12
Tim M
User

My Car
All - appreciate the comments.

Even if unable to 'correct' the sections to 3 inch, a quiet system is a requirement no matter...especially where we live with lots of interested folks (ie neighbors).
Old 24-01-2021, 15:29   #13
Ads9
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ320, 2.2 Cosworth, TT S214b, Link G4+ Geekmapped by me (hasn’t gone bang. Yet.)
My Car
I did this modification to mine, pic of the offending narrow section attached.
If you buy 2 or 3 x 3" stainless flanges and a few gaskets you can weld the flange to the pipe (after you've chopped it) and then use the other flanges to take up the space. I got away without the 2nd flange as my system was off an 8 which is slightly longer than the 9 to start with.
It seems that everyone that's had a HP Silent fitted says they found it too quiet

If buying used make sure the hanger/ fitting kit is included as it mounts very differently to the Super Dragger. Also if your car is lowered within an inch of its life you may struggle as the backbox is 2x the diameter of the Super Dragger.

The main reason for my change was aesthetics, I didn't like the look of the tapered tailpipe.
It is very quiet when driving normally but once you floor it sounds like a jet fighter. I also run a silenced decat with that eliminates the cabin drone when on a long run. Might have a change and pop the HKS back on this summer.

Short vid of the 2 exhausts. I'm running a TTS214b (which sounds horrific when coming on boost) and circa 550hp.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ads9; 24-01-2021 at 15:37..
Ads9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 16:46   #14
anh165

The internal diameter of the piping (2.5-3 inch) isn't the limiting factor for top end power - unless you're shooting for 600+HP

I used to insist every exhaust I have must be 3inch or more or I am going to lose performance - I was wrong. I ran 21 psi boost on my DR750 Turbo'd GTO - easily 500+ horses based on how it beat other 450+ hp cars with the stock cat-back 2.75 inch system!
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: