Lancer Register Forum banner

E5 RS Rear Diff Upgrade

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  parksey 
#1 ·
Hi

After opening my rear diff outer casing up tonight so i could inspect the cover due to it having what looked like a crack in it, it turns out the actual diff casing has cracks in several places.

Now looking to upgrade the rear diff while everything's apart so looking for recommendations please as to which one to go for and the best place to get them. Other option would maybe to replace the diff casing and have someone to look at the plates on the standard RS Diff but not an expect so any advise would be appreciated.

Car is an E5 RS, not road legal and is only used for hillclimbs so twisty narrow tarmac etc

Cheers

Mark

#3 ·
Will try and get some pics up, the rear cover has hairline cracks in it but I've seen Arnside do an uprated version, the main thing is the diff housing that holds the plates it's got several cracks in it.

Seen the kaaz and cusco ones but looking at quaife tbh

#4 ·
Do they look like hairline cracks in the diff housing? I’m not implying it’s ok as need pics but mine had them and it looked like cracks but it was just the casting and surface imperfections that the oil stained and made it look a lot worse than it was . Clive May be along to advise but he did mine and all was ok, I even asked him at the time.

#11 · (Edited)
The rear case inner ‘cracks’ are casting marks, not cracks. I can’t see the out one as the pic is blurry, but I suspect it’s a casting mark, unless it’s physically leaking oil.

If you want to downgrade your rear diff, fit a Quaife and lose plenty of traction, especially if you’re hillclimbing and have modified suspension and uprated anti-roll bars.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi Clive

Thanks for the reply, really appreciated.

Rear cover wasnt leaking oil, but wasn't too sure what to make of the outside mark, could have been where someone scored it with a tool, but could of also been where something had hit it and a slight crack had started to appear, hadn't gone through to the inside though.

Chevron motorsport are looking after the suspension setup and still waiting to hear back from Simon before I make any definitive decisions on the diff. Had read the kaaz diff wasn't really suitable for tarmac applications, I know alot of people run the cusco rs ones, the only other was the quaife. Had been looking at wavetrac but couldn't see anything.

Cars running nitron 3 ways, we've removed the large arb and gone back to the standard rs bar for now. Still looking at the rear frame but have been discussing about getting the rear end plotted on CAD then developing something bespoke and altering the suspension pickup points, whether this is tubular or another option. Simon uses alot of bespoke frames on his time attack and rally cars (subaru). All rear arms will be tubular or similar and rose jointed.

I'm happy to have options from you as I know you have alot of knowledge and excellent reputation.

Cheers

Mark

Been reading up a bit more and looking at the diff options and descriptions on part box and cusco website and the cusco rs 1.5 or maybe 2 way seems to be the way to go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.