Lancer Register Forum banner

How to hardwire a fuel pump. Evo 7 8 9

66K views 62 replies 24 participants last post by  robinjamess 
#1 ·
How to hardwire a walbro 255 fuel pump in an evo 7,8,9
It is rely quite simple when you know how. To do this i bought the neverneverman kit for 35pounds. But you can buy the parts for about 10 max from maplins etc.

The main component is the four pin relay. If you know how these work then its easy to understand what your doing. Basically, its an electric switch turned on and off by the existing low voltage from the loom. How its wired:

[/URL][/IMG]

Right now how i did the install, start by locating the trigger wire that goes to the pump. Take out back seat, remove plastic side sill and pull rear carpet up a lil bit behind drivers seat.

[/URL][/IMG]

I mounted the relay right next to here, so needs a feed from the battery. Easiest way is to go across the back seat, down the passengers side of the car, then into the engine bay where the rest of the loom goes through. Make nice and neat with cable ties etc.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Leave plenty of wire to get to the battery in engine bay. Next get the relay. You can connect the wires to it ready with spades. The neverneverman kit comes with fancy holder and the wires with crimps on ready. But not to hard to make up youself.

[/URL][/IMG]

You need to connect one of the trigger sides of the relay to ground. Drill a little hole, and put a small self tapper through a hoop crimp thing, connect to relay.

[/URL][/IMG]

Next i secured the relay, as i already had the wires attached. I just sticky padded it in the corner our the way and put a cable tie around as a safety.

[/URL][/IMG]

Okay so now get the pump wire we will use as the signal. The single red one down there, and cut it leaving a few cm each side to strip and crimp onto.

[/URL][/IMG]

Now crimp the side with the plug on as your trigger wire to the relay. And the other side as your outlet from the relay.

[/URL][/IMG]

So thats that side done. All you have to do now is connect up in the engine bay. Put the wire round to the battery neatly, and connect an inline fuse holder before connecting onto the battery.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

And thats it. Check it all works and put your car back together.

See less See more
#43 ·
Quick question, do Evo 6s have the same 1 wire connector behind the front seat that can be used as a trigger for the relay of the hardwire "kit"? Does it make a big difference not to have the big 2.5 or 4mm wire all the way from the battery to the pump rather than from the battery to the relay (and then use the factory wiring from the relay to the pump)?

#56 ·
This is killer info!

But I'm wondering if the method would be the different for rewiring a walbro 450? I feel like the harness on the pump itself would be the component that needs the upgraded gauge wire? I bought the STM Tuned Rewire kit:

https://stmtuned.com/collections/universal-fuel-pump-install-parts/products/stm-fuel-pump-rewire-kit

I called them and they assured me it was RND'd on the walbro 450 but I can't find a proper step by step on the 450 pump as most of the how to's are based around a smaller 255. Help? I'd really like to bang this out soon!

Thanks.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.