Recommended Full Brake Setup For Evo 6 - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
 
 

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Brakes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 10:56   #16
plip1953
Phil
 
plip1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Posts: 11,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arronevo8 View Post
Ferodo I Dsduo pads and for fast road on Alcon front disc setup are very good and no fade so far. I run std rear calipers but hard PF and they work well. The DS 2500 are crap. The dust is easy to was off.
Do you mean DSUno? ;-)

I know a few people that use them, and like them, but pretty sure they are primarily aimed at serious track use.
__________________
Phil
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2021, 16:16   #17
Arronevo8
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/ireland ballykelly
Car: Std vi imported january 12 mint and very nice in white
My Car
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Do you mean DSUno? ;-)

I know a few people that use them, and like them, but pretty sure they are primarily aimed at serious track use.
Yes you are correct but they are great and get better the warmer they get just like my Yokohama AD08 tyres. Mybe I know how to drive
Arronevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 18:43   #18
Nikos!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 151
I must say that on very fast mountain driving I love my pfc z-rated.

Had the xp10s before, but couldn't bare the noise and vibrations under braking.

The pfc are the perfect balance for me, although I haven't had the chance to test them on track.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Nikos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nikos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 19:12   #19
plip1953
Phil
 
plip1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Posts: 11,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos! View Post
I must say that on very fast mountain driving I love my pfc z-rated.

Had the xp10s before, but couldn't bare the noise and vibrations under braking.

The pfc are the perfect balance for me, although I haven't had the chance to test them on track.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory the PFC Z -Rated shouldn't be a patch on the XP10s in terms of stopping power.

Squeal is a characteristic often attributed to Carbotech XP8s, and seemingly to a lesser extent XP10s, but certainly not by everyone, including in my own personal experience. When you say "vibration" I guess you mean "judder", which is almost always because the discs have become contaminated by pad deposits, and normally that's because the pads aren't being worked hard enough. Squeal is actually vibration at a relatively high frequency and my contention is that it's often linked to poor brake maintenance rather than it being an inherent trait of the pad.
__________________
Phil
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plip1953 For This Useful Post:
Nikos! (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 20:47   #20
Nikos!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
In theory the PFC Z -Rated shouldn't be a patch on the XP10s in terms of stopping power.

Squeal is a characteristic often attributed to Carbotech XP8s, and seemingly to a lesser extent XP10s, but certainly not by everyone, including in my own personal experience. When you say "vibration" I guess you mean "judder", which is almost always because the discs have become contaminated by pad deposits, and normally that's because the pads aren't being worked hard enough. Squeal is actually vibration at a relatively high frequency and my contention is that it's often linked to poor brake maintenance rather than it being an inherent trait of the pad.


With the xp10s you must be taking them constantly through heat cycles to maintain lower levels of noise.

What I mean by vibrations is that when I got on the brake hard the car was juddering (yes better way to say it).

What I miss from the xp10s is the better bite they had (just a bit) and how resistant to fade they were, but modulation is the same stopping power at 80%, much quieter and easier to live with. Oh and I feel that the z-rated are not so hard on the disks like the xp10s were.

Will definitely go through another set.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Nikos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nikos! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nikos! For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 06:44   #21
plip1953
Phil
 
plip1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Posts: 11,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos! View Post
With the xp10s you must be taking them constantly through heat cycles to maintain lower levels of noise.

What I mean by vibrations is that when I got on the brake hard the car was juddering (yes better way to say it).

What I miss from the xp10s is the better bite they had (just a bit) and how resistant to fade they were, but modulation is the same stopping power at 80%, much quieter and easier to live with. Oh and I feel that the z-rated are not so hard on the disks like the xp10s were.

Will definitely go through another set.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out of interest, what pads did you have before the XP10s? And were the discs new or used when you first installed the XP10s? And when you switched to Z-Rated did the vibration/judder disappear, or was that change made in conjunction with new discs?
__________________
Phil
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plip1953 For This Useful Post:
Nikos! (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 08:09   #22
Nikos!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 151
Recommended Full Brake Setup For Evo 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Out of interest, what pads did you have before the XP10s? And were the discs new or used when you first installed the XP10s? And when you switched to Z-Rated did the vibration/judder disappear, or was that change made in conjunction with new discs?


Before I had plain discs with the dreaded ds2500's. Huge pad deposits, awful vibrations when everything got a bit hot (although that could be from damaged wheel bearings, keep reading...).

Then I did a full brake update.

Installed brand new koyo wheel bearings, brand new pfc v3 floating discs, Goodridge brake lines and fresh rbf 600 together with fresh xp10s.

I bedded them in as per instructions after giving some time for the discs to break in.

But after a year or so and 3.000km I changed them for the z-rated.

I must say I'm much happier overall, albeit some disadvantages obviously versus the xp10s.

Hope that answers your questions.

OH edit. The vibrations when I brake hard did disappear. Also I feel that every time I brake I don't destroy the discs. The noise I was getting was painful. Hehe


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Nikos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nikos!; 02-02-2021 at 08:11..
Nikos! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nikos! For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (02-02-2021)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 22:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.