Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo VI RS2 Weekend/Fast Road Toy

15K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  146732 
#1 ·
So, where do i begin?

Since i was a teenager the Evo 6 was my dream car. I got the bug from cars since i was very young due to my dad being a car enthusiast and specially a rally fan . The rest is history as they say :)

I had many cars before and many projects (I´m a Mx-5 Turbo guy for many years) but never got the chance to buy the Evo. But in 2018 I had the opportunity .

Regarding my Evo 6, I bought it in May 2018 in desperate need off tlc . The paint was a mess, the body rough and mechanically it needed a big service since the car stood still for about 3 years.

The day I bought it .:blah:

After the purchase I sent the car immediately to a friend of mine for a full strip down. Bonnet, doors, trunk, glass, everything was removed for a proper paint job . While I was there i bought all the trim brand new at the Mitsubishi dealership. That was painful to my wallet, but in the end the result makes up for it. :thumbup:

On the way home from the Paint shop .

And finally at home.

Not that I got the car my plan was to strip the interior to clean everything and install the new interior that I have bought. My car had the interior trimmed in leather and I hated it. So I bought a interior from a Evo VII RS2.

Meanwhile the parts were starting to arrive

And I could not help myself and bought a HKS Silent Hi-power catback :eek:

But I could not get distracted. So let´s start striping the interior down for cleaning purposes!

Dad helping me as always :smthumbup

filthy :crackup:

Many many hours of scrubbing after ! :thumbup:

In the meantime I removed with a help of a friend the old alarm installation.

And finally started reassembling the interior

Since I was waiting for parts for the interior I decided to attack the engine bay

First I decided to check the inner front sills

All good!

Then I decided to wire down to bare metal the front crossmember and hit it wit por15 .

New radiator arrived

Fitted

New radiator hoses

New radiator cap

New radiator supports

Radiator Brackets

Thermostat

Also arrived :

M2 Decat (Not a big fan of the quality tbh)

Walbro Fuel pump

Then, a few days to install everything .

To be continued :)

See less See more
#30 · (Edited)
Hello guys!

Time for a small update, but a frustrating one! :goingmad:

A couple weeks ago I went for a drive I noticed a weird sound. It turned out it was my cooling fan. I assume 20 years is fair enough and she deserved retirement :) .

I went online to see what were my options and found that Mishimoto made a shroud with two 13" fans. Before buying I searched on MLR and found two people that could not fit the shroud due to clearances with the Turbo actuator. But to be honest, not much information was released.

Knowing this, I decided to contact Mishimoto to clarify this issue. They asked me where I have seen this issues, and I provided the MLR threads stating it. They came back to me and assured me that I would be a "one off" problem, and I could buy with confidence. So I did that. :thumbup:

So here is the shroud when it arrived:

Test fit...

And then the problems began ! :goingmad:

As you can see, there is not enough clearance due to the Turbo / Actuator, just as other people have mentioned here on MLR.

I went ahead and decided to take a few measurements .

From the radiator core to the actuator you have about 38mm.

The shroud with the fan in place have 73mm thickness …

And the fan itself has 57mm.

Great, just great :rolleyes:

I decided to contact Mishimoto, since I have raised this question before and was reassured that everything would fit. They first question was this (literaly copied from my gmail ) :

"Filipe,

Do you know if the vehicle was ever in an accident?

Are the turbo parts stock?"

You can imagine what i wanted to call them... :goingmad::goingmad::goingmad::goingmad:

Well, I am still discussing this trough email with them. I am disbelieved by their customer service and engineering (??) background.

#32 · (Edited)
Continuing. :thumbup:

Since I am not the type of guy to quit, I decided to make this my own way. I bought some parts that would make this fit. I had a idea on my head, so it was time to put in practice.

Since my car does not have Air conditioning , I decided to mimic the factory set up and install one fan in front of the radiator. To accomplish this I had to change the polarity of the fan. Before she was a pull type, and now is a push. I know this is not perfect because due to the angle of the blades they are supposed to work at their peak efficiency only in one direction. But I reckon that two 13" new fans car surpass the cfm produced by the old 20 year old fan.

The items I bought :

I decided to align the fan in the direction of the opening of the shroud. So had to take a few measurements to be sure that everything was aligned.

I Fabricated a new wiring loom to keep the stock plugs preserved and to be plug and play (or pray?) :mhihi:

The right hand side with the opening for the fan (that fan is in the front of the radiator like the stock AC fan)

And the left hand side with the fan in place.

Once upon testing, everything works and I would say this setup is more efficient that the old one. The fans kick for about 15 seconds and then turn off.

Decided to celebrate with a sunset cruise .

More updates soon :thumbup::thumbup::)

#34 · (Edited)
First of all, happy new year to everyone. :smthumbup Can´t believe the Evo is almost 21 years old. But more on that later. :D

Since it was a year since I had performed the major service I decided to change all the fluids one more time. I always change Engine oil and filter every year despite mileage, but this year I decided to change also the gear/diff fluids despite they being only one year old. Adding to that, I decided to do a few more things. So, the list was the following:

- Engine Oil and Filter
- Gearbox/Transfer Case/ Front diff oil change
- Rear diff oil change
- Head to Exhaust Manifold Gasket
- Replace all exhaust gaskets
- Resurface Exhaust Manifold
- Sand Blast Exhaust Manifold
- New Studs/Nuts Exhaust Manifold
- M2 Turbo Elbow
- New Turbo Water Hard Lines
- New Water Pump Pulley and bolts
- Coolant Replacement

And a few more bits that I am forgetting for sure :mhihi:

Pictures of everything

And everything in place :coolsm:

Also decided to weight the car to see how much a RS2 weights, and it´s a bit more than I expected to be honest!

The car is full weight (Rear spare tire, everything in the boot), fire extinguisher and had half a tank of fuel.

And as he sits right now :eek:

The car is still only making about 0.9 bar of boost despite all the vacuum hoses being new. I have tested the actuator for another one and is the same. I am thinking that maybe my dump valve is leaking. I will try that later. Despite that I decided to try to perform a measurement 100 - 200 km/h with my car using Dragy. For the ones who don´t know what it is , it´s basically a App for your phone with a external GPS , it´s extremely accurate and it´s the the standard now for performance measurements. Since it does not validate any measurement with more that 1% slope there is no way of cheating.

I lef in 4th gear and made 12.25 Seconds 100-200 kmh. I´m very happy with that ! If I had accelerated in 3rd I assume it would be maybe a few tenths faster? Anyway A stock A45 amg with 360 ps from a friend made 13.2 stock! A 360 Hp Focus Rs (The last one) made 14.2…so the old boy still has a lot of tricks under his belt :D

In the end of the video i have the print screens of the Dragy !

:mitsi::mitsi::D

#37 ·
A little update, nothing major but to just keep it up to date.

After having the car for almost 2 years finally decided to buy the mats I always wanted. Not cheap, but after having them in hands it´s worth every € !

They look just right on the car

And this was the last time i drove the car, pré Covid 19 lockdown 23-02-2020 . So almost 2 months :wallbang:

#41 ·
Felipe

OEM Stock Boost Setting stock ECU and stock boost solenoid, etc..it was 0.9-1.0 bar, depending on temperature and more, and overboost up to 1.1 bar.
This is my experience with my TME RS2 EUDM (Euro LHD).

Ideally you do 1 of 2 things, use CaddyMod ROM to reflash OEM ECU, or swap to USDM Evo 8 ECU- and use Tephra-Rom-7.

I did the later, as Caddy is not updated nor used very much, while Tephra and E8 ECU are constantly being upgraded- to the point that now you can run "Flex Fuel" with just Ethanol Content Sensor (GM Sensor) via ROM and nothing more.

Few wires to swap, I can advise (have to look it up) if and when you decide to maybe go this route.
ECU is dirt cheap in USA, and of course it is reliable.

So I think your RS2 is behaving as it should.

One other thing I suggest is to upgrade OEM oil cooler to Evo 9 standard: it is 2x the size, not necessary but an "OEM upgrade" and bit of safety in hot Spanish weather.

#42 ·
Felipe

OEM Stock Boost Setting stock ECU and stock boost solenoid, etc..it was 0.9-1.0 bar, depending on temperature and more, and overboost up to 1.1 bar.
This is my experience with my TME RS2 EUDM (Euro LHD).

Ideally you do 1 of 2 things, use CaddyMod ROM to reflash OEM ECU, or swap to USDM Evo 8 ECU- and use Tephra-Rom-7.

I did the later, as Caddy is not updated nor used very much, while Tephra and E8 ECU are constantly being upgraded- to the point that now you can run "Flex Fuel" with just Ethanol Content Sensor (GM Sensor) via ROM and nothing more.

Few wires to swap, I can advise (have to look it up) if and when you decide to maybe go this route.
ECU is dirt cheap in USA, and of course it is reliable.

So I think your RS2 is behaving as it should.

One other thing I suggest is to upgrade OEM oil cooler to Evo 9 standard: it is 2x the size, not necessary but an "OEM upgrade" and bit of safety in hot Spanish weather.
Thank you for your input :smthumbup :)

The Evo 9 Oil cooler is in my plan :D The ecu, for now I will keep it stock :mhihi:

#43 ·
Well, time for a small update. I decided to take advantage of the current times (i.e. not being able to drive the car) and decided to tackle a few jobs that were on my mind. :mitsi:

I ordered some products from Buzzweld in order to apply to my chassis rails and all holes and crevices that I would be able to. After using this I must say that the product surpassed my expectations and seems very, very good. Before I bought I searched for reviews including here on MLR and they were spot on regarding the quality of it. :thumbup:

Here it is the products that I used (Cavity Wax and Zero Prep Cavity Wax) .

Since I was lifting the car and cleaning everything prior to the application of the cavity wax I decided to exchange the rear discs (I suspect they were still the factory items) and pads (which I have replaced when bought the car ). My choice for de discs were the Godspeed G Hook and for pads I went with carbotech Xp8.

Old discs and everything dirty but fortunately with no rust in the chassi .

Disc out showing the hub and brake shoes

In the process of cleaning everything (Messy job)

And after lot of hours cleaning everything the new discs finally installed.

When attacking the other side, decided to remove the protection shield from the fuel filler pipe. Shocking the dirty this thing accumulates.

Removed everything and fortunately not a single spot of rust either on the shield or on the filler pipe .
Everything cleaned with a fresh coat of paint.

When removing the exhaust one bolt broke. I bought this exhaust used from UK a few years ago and I was not in the best shape (to be polite).

Dilled the hole and installed stainless steel hardware on the exhaust mounting points.

And view of the underside of the car. Not restored and neither factory fresh but pretty decente for 21 years old

Everything mounted on the rear.

Decided also to exchange my ignition leads. They were the factory ones and were a little brittle and dry rotted. Replaced them with Magnekor KV85.

Next step will be replacing the front Discs / Pads and after bedding the brakes flushing the brake fluid.:smthumbup

#44 ·
Totally forgot to update this :bored:

Installed the front brakes...

New floor mats...

And have been driving the car the most I can !

In 2021 i would love to buy a new clutch / flywheel and maybe remap the car to a super safe 1.4 bar? Don´t know. I don´t have much free time between work...and buying cars. Funny that since i have the Evo i have bought and sold probably 6 or 7 cars :mhihi::mhihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.