Coolant Problem. Any advice? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 04-04-2016, 20:25   #1
[email protected]
BooooooosT

Car: Scotia White 6 GSR, stock-ish
My Car
Coolant Problem. Any advice?

Evo 6 GSR. Bought it recently fresh import.

Recently noticed the water in the expansion tank lower than previous times. Topped it up to the max level. I have a coolant smell from under the bonnet and have smoke coming up from right hand side of engine bay. I have been advised to change rad cap as these can cause problems, what I don't get is as it does it on idle when I have bonnet up and nothing coming out the cap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kev@Evo6GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 20:42   #2
marc9584

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Evo 6 GSR. Bought it recently fresh import.

Recently noticed the water in the expansion tank lower than previous times. Topped it up to the max level. I have a coolant smell from under the bonnet and have smoke coming up from right hand side of engine bay. I have been advised to change rad cap as these can cause problems, what I don't get is as it does it on idle when I have bonnet up and nothing coming out the cap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Common problem with the little white expansion tank, it sorts its own level out dont fill it up just make sure the radiator level never drops and the temp gauge doesnt start moving up for no reason. my 6 does exactly the same thing if i fill the white tank it spits it out the overflow for no reason but radiator always stays brimmed. If the coolant level is changing in the radiator then you have an issue somewhere.
marc9584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 21:02   #3
[email protected]
BooooooosT

My Car
What about the white smoke and smell of coolant. It comes from down the right hand side when looking at the front from outside the car. I can see any leaks, not sure if the rad cap is leaking and the water running down and hitting somethings g hot which is causing the smoke? When would the rad cap leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 21:22   #4
marc9584

[[email protected];5635690]What about the white smoke and smell of coolant. It comes from down the right hand side when looking at the front from outside the car. I can see any leaks, not sure if the rad cap is leaking and the water running down and hitting somethings g hot which is causing the smoke? When would the rad cap leak?[/QUO

Ah sorry thought you meant the leak was from the header tank. In that case yes the rad cap could well be faulty or the rad itself may have a small leak how much coolant is it loosing?
Old 04-04-2016, 21:35   #5
tracker
Senior User

My Car
Have you checked all the hoses? Get a good look at the hoses on that side of the engine, especially the joints
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tracker For This Useful Post:
nickevo4 (05-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 22:01   #6
[email protected]
BooooooosT

My Car
It's not losing a lot, I've checked the radiator a few times and it's always been full, just the expansion tank seems to drop but I seen it go back up once or twice, I have read this is ment to happen but just with the smoke I'm getting thrown off. Also does it take a bit of time for both rad pipes to come to same temp roughly?
Old 04-04-2016, 23:42   #7
marc9584

Quote:
It's not losing a lot, I've checked the radiator a few times and it's always been full, just the expansion tank seems to drop but I seen it go back up once or twice, I have read this is ment to happen but just with the smoke I'm getting thrown off. Also does it take a bit of time for both rad pipes to come to same temp roughly?

one of the hoses wont get warm until the thermostat opens up, i would just run it up to temp wait for the fan to cut in and out then switch it off then look for steam or smells
Old 05-04-2016, 02:48   #8
foreskin fred

That's pretty much normal with an old engine.

Retorquing the head will probably fix it.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:31   #9
Mr Ralliart
Anthony

Car: Evolution 6 TME Ralliart Edition (JDM)
My Car
What pressure cap is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My TME progress & track day thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mr Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Ralliart For This Useful Post:
mantazini (06-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 07:19   #10
[email protected]
BooooooosT

My Car
It's some Japanese thing, doesn't look like a very good one. I have ordered a blitz one. Will try that. Do use think it is safe to run it as normal and just keep an eye on temp?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05   #11
Mr Ralliart
Anthony

My Car
Just make sure it's 1.1 bar if you are using the factory radiator.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:40   #12
wuldo

Car: Evo 7
My Car
I had an issue with the water pump inlet pipe being completely corroded with my 7 so maybe that i understand this is becoming more and more common
wuldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48   #13
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & MR2 Roadster - Previously: Evo9, Evo5, 2 x Evo2, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Could be nothing, in my experience if you fill expansion tank much above minimum when cold then when hot it blows a little out breather which is probably your smell of coolant, try it on minimum level and see if problem stops.

Ian
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 23:06   #14
[email protected]
BooooooosT

My Car
There is white smoke coming from under bonnet, right hand side, can't see where it is coming from yet. Can anyone kind of confirm my head gasket is not away? That's my biggest worry lol
Old 06-04-2016, 04:24   #15
Mr Ralliart
Anthony

My Car
Quote:
Can anyone kind of confirm my head gasket is not away?
Bit of a challenge to confirm that on the internet.
Is the car down on power? Idling funny? Is the coolant a funny colour or got oil in it? If any of these then there is a chance the head gasket is cactus, if all of them then it is most likely, but you really should take it to a garage to be checked properly instead of trying to guess and driving it to try and diagnose risking doing damage (see way too much of that on here).

Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: