MLR is still one of the best clubs, But..... - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 07-05-2019, 08:19   #1
shauno
Senior User

Car: Gunmetal MRFQ360 HKS
My Car
MLR is still one of the best clubs, But.....

Returned from Silverstone late Sunday, Was another great Japfest, the stand really did look great and did deserve the trophy. We genuinely did have a superb display of quality Evo's. If there were another award of best maintained & cleanest Jap cars I'd say we would have won.

But it was a shame the MLR stand had nobody really representing the club, or taking charge of the stand. i.e parking people up, meeting & greeting, and getting people interacted etc. Think everyone just followed suit from last year and have to say everyone did a great job & it looked superb. So well done!

Just I can remember years ago there would be the MLR trailer with Darin & co interacting with the owners, doing club trophies, mini comps etc, the trailer used to be a hub for meeting all the owners. I even think I can remember they used to put coffees on for owners.

I chatted briefly to a couple of owners who I'd recognised from other shows, but most (including myself) just buggered off and looked around the show, leaving the stand as empty as the forum. Because the forum is so quiet these days it felt like all the club members were just all strangers (which we are)

But when the forum was really busy, people who may have never met, felt liked they knew each other. I actually spent more time on the subaru owners club stand, catching up with a few old faces.

How can (if even possible) can we all inject some life into the MLR? Maybe just the effects of social media? or is it people just have much less time?

Why does the MLR have such little social media presence? I feel an auto updated feed to Insta, Twitter & FB of " the most recent posts " would/could get people on the forum much more.

I'm sure this has been said many of times before, but this was the first time I had to admit it...

But saying that, I cant wait for next year, it really is one of the best Jap shows & the MLR is no doubt the best evo club, but just feel the MLR needs some life injecting back into it.
shauno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shauno For This Useful Post:
Mark richardson (09-05-2019), mikegsi (07-05-2019), Stallion (09-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 09:33   #2
TMEEMT
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauno View Post
Returned from Silverstone late Sunday, Was another great Japfest, the stand really did look great and did deserve the trophy. We genuinely did have a superb display of quality Evo's. If there were another award of best maintained & cleanest Jap cars I'd say we would have won.

But it was a shame the MLR stand had nobody really representing the club, or taking charge of the stand. i.e parking people up, meeting & greeting, and getting people interacted etc. Think everyone just followed suit from last year and have to say everyone did a great job & it looked superb. So well done!

Just I can remember years ago there would be the MLR trailer with Darin & co interacting with the owners, doing club trophies, mini comps etc, the trailer used to be a hub for meeting all the owners. I even think I can remember they used to put coffees on for owners.

I chatted briefly to a couple of owners who I'd recognised from other shows, but most (including myself) just buggered off and looked around the show, leaving the stand as empty as the forum. Because the forum is so quiet these days it felt like all the club members were just all strangers (which we are)

But when the forum was really busy, people who may have never met, felt liked they knew each other. I actually spent more time on the subaru owners club stand, catching up with a few old faces.

How can (if even possible) can we all inject some life into the MLR? Maybe just the effects of social media? or is it people just have much less time?

Why does the MLR have such little social media presence? I feel an auto updated feed to Insta, Twitter & FB of " the most recent posts " would/could get people on the forum much more.

I'm sure this has been said many of times before, but this was the first time I had to admit it...

But saying that, I cant wait for next year, it really is one of the best Jap shows & the MLR is no doubt the best evo club, but just feel the MLR needs some life injecting back into it.

Thanks for such a thorough post. As a newbie on here it was very interesting to see some if the previous history info you posted.

I very much agree with your ideas around social media posting and feeds. These days you need to create interest and interaction, or like some other forums, this great site could fade out.

One suggestion I have is to go to other brands forums and check activity there. Some other car brand forums - in different parts of the world - have some amazing input and traffic.

I really think MLR has been great for me and Iíll be staying around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TMEEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TMEEMT For This Useful Post:
shauno (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 10:13   #3
shauno
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMEEMT View Post
Thanks for such a thorough post. As a newbie on here it was very interesting to see some if the previous history info you posted.

I very much agree with your ideas around social media posting and feeds. These days you need to create interest and interaction, or like some other forums, this great site could fade out.

One suggestion I have is to go to other brands forums and check activity there. Some other car brand forums - in different parts of the world - have some amazing input and traffic.

I really think MLR has been great for me and Iíll be staying around!

Me too, and whilst Iím an evo owner I will still be a member of the MLR as the wealth & history of knowledge is amazing.

But for the first time I have felt the end is near if they donít interact with modern society & social media. It would be so easy to set up and would practically run itself if itís set as auto feed. Then anyone following on the 3 main social media sites would be prompted to have a cheeky look back on the MLR forum if something caught their eye.

Likewise for people posting new topics on the forum, as they would feel it would be more likely to be seen & have more a chance of someone replying...

Sometimes including myself, when you post a new topic these days itís eerily silent ....

The Following User Says Thank You to shauno For This Useful Post:
TMEEMT (07-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 10:48   #4
Tom Dick
NR555

Car: Evo VII, forged at NR with a 3076
My Car
But who is the MLR?

In days gone by when Darin & Co was running the club & website both the forums & meets were well attended & the club was very well represented.

Now the forum has been sold on to a "hosting" company who have no interested at all in anything & Darin moved on to pastures new there is no representation. It just goes to show how much time, effort & energy he put in the MLR.

It's a shame to witness its dying, but without a "leeder" it will never improve
If your beliefs bring comfort to your heart, Then who am I to try and tear your world apart? I wish you well in your endeavours and your life, And I'll leave you to yours if you leave me to mine, It's not your place to impose religious law on the rest of us like so many have before, and it's equally not my place to say you're wrong I don't have to read your book and you don't have to like this song
Tom Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom Dick For This Useful Post:
Blood Speed (09-05-2019), Goginawa (07-05-2019), RichW (09-05-2019), shauno (07-05-2019), TomCatGoad (08-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:13   #5
mikegsi
North East RO

Car: JDM Evo 9 GSR
Completely agree with the post, I was there yesterday and spoke with a few owners, but also had my kids with me as it was a day out for them which had to take my priority. I didn't arrive till around 9 after queuing for some time to get in, by which time the stand was pretty full. After reading about last years event I thought there'd be more interaction on the stand, but as you say there was very little.

TBH I'm not sure if there were any other RO's there, I couldn't bring any of the flags that I have as I couldn't get them in the car with the kids and luggage having stayed in a hotel the night before.
mikegsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:28   #6
Antares
Senior User

Car: Evo9 gsr \ Evo 6 TMErs
My Car
if it's any consolation, our italian community, the one on my sig., is totally dead.

www.lancerevoclub.com
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:31   #7
shauno
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
if it's any consolation, our italian community, the one on my sig., is totally dead.

Sorry to hear that. But from the good quantity of evos still out there in UK the MLR should still be busier than it is.

Promoting via social media is really the only way. And surely the hosting admin company must agree ? If nothing is done soon there maybe nothing to actually admin in a few years

Old 07-05-2019, 14:06   #8
Silent_Scone
Senior User

Car: Viii FQ340 MR (Stock - EBC Blue pads)
Count your lucky stars to be honest. Forums are dying, it's great there's still a club presence at all.
Silent_Scone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 14:44   #9
Darren4

Car: Evo 9 MR Import
I've only really seen a few cars on the MLR stands most times, i saw like 3 cars at tunerfeast last year . As said it's easier to use facebook or instagram as most use phones for communications, and most forums are just a mess to navigate tbh. It's a shame as the quality of cars MLR has is A1.
Darren4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darren4 For This Useful Post:
shauno (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 14:59   #10
shauno
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren4 View Post
I've only really seen a few cars on the MLR stands most times, i saw like 3 cars at tunerfeast last year . As said it's easier to use facebook or instagram as most use phones for communications, and most forums are just a mess to navigate tbh. It's a shame as the quality of cars MLR has is A1.

On Sunday there was about 30 odd MLR cars, so to me that is a positive sign.

So surely creating a simple & effect social media campaign/feed would help give the MLR the boost it needs, and in my opinion, just that one simple thing could give the MLR that little injection that is needed and give it a helping hand for say the next 5-10 years.

And best of all itís the most powerful free tool out there to promote businesses, and like the guy who handed the trophy out said in his own words ďthe MLR is more than just a club, itís actually run like a businessĒ and as being a business owner we know full force how effective a social presence can have

Old 07-05-2019, 19:14   #11
ClunValleyEvo

Car: Evo Viii FQ300
Sadly it’s a fact that pretty much all forums are dying although this one does seem to have taken a huge nose dive recently and completely agree the end is now in sight.
Clearly social media has taken its toll, but there are so many ‘evo groups ‘ already on there and well established that I feel any more could struggle to get the numbers as these days there are a lot fewer people interested in evos.

The rapidly declining numbers of cars on the roads does not help the situation neither does the image problem that the evo has always had. Seems many younger car fans now have zero interest in them with the preference now being sleek German stuff rather than crazy Japanese Halfords specials as many see them.

The good old days really are long gone so I just think it’s time to accept the inevitable really as the situation will not improve and ultimately the evo scene will continue to diminish by the day.

It’s a shame but it happens to all cars and now it’s the evos turn. I personally believe people will be shocked at what will be left of the scene in 5 years time as once it starts it can be a rapid process of decline. Sadly I really can’t see the MLR being about in 5 years , if the current rate of decline is anything to go by it could be a lot less.

Last edited by ClunValleyEvo; 07-05-2019 at 19:26..
ClunValleyEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 19:18   #12
evosuk
User

I've had a couple of evos now but never been to show or meet.
I personally would like to meet on regional Mlr meets then progress to larger festivals. The forum has been absolutely essential for me in getting my current evo. I would be lost without it.
Social media would help, but no one to do it though I guess.
Fingers crossed for more regional meets.
evosuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 19:34   #13
shauno
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunValleyEvo View Post
Sadly itís a fact that pretty much all forums are dying although this one does seem to have taken a huge nose dive recently and completely agree the end is now in sight.
Clearly social media has taken its toll, but there are so many Ďevo groups Ď already on there and well established that I feel any more could struggle to get the numbers as these days there are a lot fewer people interested in evos.

The rapidly declining numbers of cars on the roads does not the situation neither does the image problem that the evo has always had. Seems many younger car fans now have zero interest in them with the preference now being sleek German stuff rather than crazy Japanese Halfords specials as many see them.

The good old days really are long gone so I just think itís time to accept the inevitable really as the situation will not improve and ultimately the evo scene will continue to diminish by the day.

Itís a shame but it happens to all cars and now itís the evos turn. I personally believe people will be shocked at what will be left of the scene in 5 years time as once it starts it can be a rapid process of decline. Sadly I really canít see the MLR being about in 5 years , if the current rate of decline is anything to go by it could be a lot less.

Hear what your saying. But..... 30 odd evos on MLR stand this year at japfest, more than any other evo stand... thatís positive to me.

The quality of evo on MLR stand to other was 2 worlds apart... again thatís positive

The MLR is still an active forum, no where near it used to be, but many other forums have already gone... so again thatís positive it is still here & people still paying member fees

My eldest & his mate said the evos & GTRís were the best cars at show .... positive to say younger generation still amazed by an evo...

young kids are only getting German hothatches as they have cheap payment plans... not positive

Since I started this thread this morning ive had 3 people send me a message saying they agree we need to help the MLR keep going & theyíd be happy to dedicate some time.... positive

I honestly do feel the MLR could be given a new lease of life if it promoted on social media. Just look at the photo below, this was a post on insta 3 days ago with over 3000 likes. Just look at the simplicity of the hashtags. Why shouldnít/ couldnít the MLR be at the forefront of the evo scene again???

Just do a few simply searches of evo hashtags and the proof is out there that the evo still has a strong following

The Following User Says Thank You to shauno For This Useful Post:
Mita (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 19:37   #14
Mita
Senior User

Youíre a ray of sunshine. I think after reading that Iím going to jump out in front of the next bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunValleyEvo View Post
Sadly itís a fact that pretty much all forums are dying although this one does seem to have taken a huge nose dive recently and completely agree the end is now in sight.
Clearly social media has taken its toll, but there are so many Ďevo groups Ď already on there and well established that I feel any more could struggle to get the numbers as these days there are a lot fewer people interested in evos.

The rapidly declining numbers of cars on the roads does not help the situation neither does the image problem that the evo has always had. Seems many younger car fans now have zero interest in them with the preference now being sleek German stuff rather than crazy Japanese Halfords specials as many see them.

The good old days really are long gone so I just think itís time to accept the inevitable really as the situation will not improve and ultimately the evo scene will continue to diminish by the day.

Itís a shame but it happens to all cars and now itís the evos turn. I personally believe people will be shocked at what will be left of the scene in 5 years time as once it starts it can be a rapid process of decline. Sadly I really canít see the MLR being about in 5 years , if the current rate of decline is anything to go by it could be a lot less.
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 19:37   #15
[email protected]
User

Car: Evo 8
Anyone Could make a MLR group on Facebook and redirect the traffic back to here if they wanted.
EVO@750BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
shauno (07-05-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: