Kenny1's Evo 5 RS - Throughout the years - Page 10 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 17-02-2018, 18:14   #136
alpinaturbo
Senior User

Kenny,

I was busy working, but I followed the thread from the sidelines:

Kikiturbo answered your concern - to explain what Vishnu modeling discovered - with graphs and showed you that the roll-center migration side to side, actually worst when arms are horizontal...is a problem.

That is why its better to lower car too much, or raise it too much, as Mitsu competition cars are, to at least have roll-center at near-static location: than you stiffen it and it does not move much...ha ha but it works.

Deck-Mechanical chief driver/builder, Hideki-San - years ago advised me about ride heights.
He said an Evo 5/6 that he was competing with at the time, when lowered 65mm in the front has an issue with understeer on corner entry, due to poor weight transfer as its stiff, but once settled it drives through and out of the corner superbly sweetly

Hideki-san may have done some modeling, or maybe it was empirical-only data (Experience), but they did extended ball joints and brackets for these cars so they learned how to set them up.

In all cases, we love your OMEGA achievements, and we love your E5 RS...Kikiturbo and I drool over E5 RS cars all the time like two sloppy Mastif dogs ...

And we love Lightweight cars, which makes yours scrumptious delicious specimen to worship and admire.

Personally, I shoot to correct (adjust) front and rear roll center with uprights, to be able to run square springs setup suitable for Dual Purpose road and track car, such as 10/10 kg front and rear, and some sway-bars to aid in roll resistance, to have a truly optimized dual purpose fun car that works on track to kick some GT3/cup car butt as required.

No front bar requires more spring rate, which is OK on race car but not so nice on bumpy B-roads.
alpinaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alpinaturbo For This Useful Post:
Unobtainium (17-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 01:40   #137
Unobtainium

My Car
Alpina you are too kind. Thanks for you comments.

The Omega designs Evo 5 upright kit is now anodised and logo'd. One kit is for me, the other for Alex Bones/Luke Clayton.

https://flic.kr/p/23XeLwJ

The Nitrons will be back this week after some major changes. The spring rates were 10kgs and 10.5kgs before but they aren't now. It will be interesting to see how it feels with higher spring rates and new valving. Btw, the total saving for this whole kit including titanium bolts is 11kgs over what i had before. The rear D2 camber arms were heavier than stock though...so about 10.5kgs over an oem setup.

When I last drove the car it was about 1070kgs with fuel and a passenger seat in. I'm looking forward to finding out how so many changes in one long stint affects the car.

1. Weight loss - Sub frames, titanium exhaust/carbon prop/lighter rear discs/uprights etc
2. Suspension refurb and higher spring rates
3. No front ARB
4. I'm hoping to lower it a bit
5. 40mm lower ball joint at front
6. Bosch Motorsports ABS

This is how it went when I last did a trackday in it: Click here

The question is, have I made it a bit faster or a lot faster?

Last edited by Unobtainium; 12-03-2018 at 04:12..
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Unobtainium For This Useful Post:
Clivew (12-03-2018), evo5d (13-03-2018), leeslancer8 (12-03-2018), Realbadman (12-03-2018), RG55 GAR (12-03-2018), Stoff (12-03-2018), Tom Dick (12-03-2018), Tony Clifton (13-03-2018), Trev-the-Rev (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:52   #138
TimC
Senior User

Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
What tyres are you going to be running? Surely now, running new slicks will be where you can make the most time over old second hand stuff.
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 13:44   #139
wozzy

No front arb? I've heard whispers of another well sorted evo doing the same with great results
Old 12-03-2018, 23:51   #140
VIIIMREvo
Senior User

Car: Evo V RS
My Car
Interested to know what front spring rates you run front with no ARB..
VIIIMREvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 13:43   #141
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Kenny, why are you changing spring rates?

Lowering the cars weight and reducing unsprung mass will have increased suspension frequency with the original springs anyway. What frequency were you running front and rear, and what will it be with the new springs?

Also, why the need to increase damper valving? Were you on maximum rebound adjustment?

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 16:51   #142
Unobtainium

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
What tyres are you going to be running? Surely now, running new slicks will be where you can make the most time over old second hand stuff.
Various tyres at various tracks mate....but for a good comparison at cadwell I really ought to try the same old slicks for a run or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzy View Post
No front arb? I've heard whispers of another well sorted evo doing the same with great results
Yep...The omega evo being one and (a good mate of mine being the other) that only has tein suspension on. The spring rates on those are whatever used to come with teins as standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIIIMREvo View Post
Interested to know what front spring rates you run front with no ARB..
I bet But it's useless info for anyone else mate, unless your car is the same weight etc...and even then, I haven't tested the car yet to see if the higher spring rates are helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
Kenny, why are you changing spring rates?
Hi Clive. Because I'm going with what the Nitron technicians recommended.

Quote:
Lowering the cars weight and reducing unsprung mass will have increased suspension frequency with the original springs anyway.
Yep.

Quote:
What frequency were you running front and rear, and what will it be with the new springs?
I've no idea mate. I've left it all to them. If it doesn't work, we will keep changing it till it does. Suspension frequency looks like quite a complex subject:

http://www.worksevo.com/Spring_Rates_1.pdf

As you say, lowering the cars weight and reducing unsprung mass will have increased suspension frequency with the original springs. The problem is, the unsprung mass at the front is going to change quite dramatically later in the year, and possibly the car's weight too...so even if someone did go to the effort of calculating the suspension frequencies, it's going to change anyway. I informed Nitron of my car's weight. I think they have come up with a happy medium based on their experience of other TA cars that do very very well but are a fair bit heavier.

Quote:
Also, why the need to increase damper valving? Were you on maximum rebound adjustment?
I never said they will "increase" damper valving? I just said new. When I asked them they said they will fit the up to date components. Whether they increase it or not I don't know mate. As they know a lot more than me (which is nothing) I'm going with what they recommend.

Once all this is sorted and the car tested I reckon it's time you put some cusco diffs in for me....then I'll probably leave the car as it is for a while.

Last edited by Unobtainium; 13-03-2018 at 17:04..
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtainium For This Useful Post:
Trev-the-Rev (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 19:27   #143
P20SPD
The better Dark Side

Car: 600bhp Subaru Wagon, Heap of a 206gti, Type R race shell & a Navara! Oh and the Banana!
Mega weight saving Kenny. Some great machine work by Jonny and Omega.

Look forward to the imminent destruction of records!
P20SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 21:44   #144
gordonm
Regional Organiser

Car: 9 GeeTee
My Car
Those cnc uprights and arms look amazing, well done
gordonm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gordonm For This Useful Post:
Unobtainium (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 21:51   #145
leeslancer8
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 260 - EVO 7 RSII - EVO 8 FQ320 MR - EVO 4 GSR
I'd love to see this car in the metal let me know if I can ever take a peek
leeslancer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leeslancer8 For This Useful Post:
Unobtainium (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 22:48   #146
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
Hi Clive. Because I'm going with what the Nitron technicians recommended
Ok, sounds logical, what feedback did you give them for them to decide to change the rates? Did you have any issues with the set-up as it was before? Had Nitron technicians previously dialed in the dampers for you at the track, based on your feedback to them, so you were running an optimum set-up?

Quote:
I've no idea mate. I've left it all to them. If it doesn't work, we will keep changing it till it does. Suspension frequency looks like quite a complex subject:

http://www.worksevo.com/Spring_Rates_1.pdf

As you say, lowering the cars weight and reducing unsprung mass will have increased suspension frequency with the original springs. The problem is, the unsprung mass at the front is going to change quite dramatically later in the year, and possibly the car's weight too...so even if someone did go to the effort of calculating the suspension frequencies, it's going to change anyway. I informed Nitron of my car's weight. I think they have come up with a happy medium based on their experience of other TA cars that do very very well but are a fair bit heavier.
Working out frequency is fairly simple, taking into consideration motion ratio, and suspension strut angle at the front. There are a few excel calculators that make it easier to work out. Itís a good starting point before testing.

Quote:
I never said they will "increase" damper valving? I just said new. When I asked them they said they will fit the up to date components. Whether they increase it or not I don't know mate. As they know a lot more than me (which is nothing) I'm going with what they recommend.
No, you didnít, I assumed that due to the increased spring rates. Ok, sounds like newer, better designed parts going in, all good. Decent dampers normally have a huge range of adjustment to allow for big differences in spring rate anyway.

Quote:
Once all this is sorted and the car tested I reckon it's time you put some cusco diffs in for me....then I'll probably leave the car as it is for a while.
You know where I am when you need them. Better traction equates to better lap times, as long as it doesnít cause understeer, unless of course youíre not losing any traction with the set-up you already have.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
Cryptwalk (14-03-2018)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: