Evo intercooler recomendations - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 22-05-2020, 22:20   #16
2+barplease
Senior User

Car: Porsche 911 C4S + Evo 5 + SL350
Interesting you mention Autobahn 88 coolers, I run one on my RVR (400bhp) for years and found it good cooler for the money. Run a Evo 9 oil cooler and the temps stayed pretty much where I wanted them.
Advertisement

Old 23-05-2020, 18:38   #17
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g638 View Post
I have to disagree with you on the tube and fin vs the bar and plate comment. As far as size is concerned, because there are more factors one needs to take into account before buying a cooler. Not all tube and fin cores are the same, and actually they can differ very much in all their characteristics, end tank design, grade of aluminum used, the design of the tubes and their size, the internal structure of the fins, the amount of fins per 1cm, the amount of tubes per inch. Some tube and fin cores have smaller and less tubes with poor design than other cores of the same overall size. Air velocity and speed is more increased in a quality tube and fin core than in a bar and plate one. Yes you do need to add some additional cm3 area when using a tube and fin in comparison to a bar and plate but it's around the 20-30% max from what I have seen, worked with, made, and used. A good quality tube and fin core has more tubes than a bar and plate of the same size and their total weight is almost the same. So if a 600 x 300 x 150 bar and plate core has 12 bars, the tube and fin one of the same size will have 16 tubes or more, so there is your added cm3 area. In other words , same size core but with different structural passages and different design that provide the same cm3 area. Another advantage of having more air passages for the air to move into is that you allow the air to break down into more smaller cfm parts and go through more cooling passages and this cools down the air more evenly and more. The tube and fin core allows more fresh air to enter the engine compartment, and to reach the radiator. Price wise, it depends what you are buying from who.For instance, Garrett bar and plate cores are expensive, people used to swear on them being the best cores out there, well they ain't the best cores out there, there are much cheaper bar and plate cores that are equally efficient. The same goes for tube and fin. HKS intercoolers are all tube and fin design, their coolers are quality ones, but they are expensive, you can find exactly the same cores in HDI and Autobaghn 88 kits and yes I have compared them side by side. same exact core, both companies copied the HKS core. Stock cooler is also tube and fin.

Hopefully you will not get me wrong for posting this, but it contains certain points that I wanted to share with people. I have nothing against bar and plate cores , but I personally prefer tube and fin cores for the reasons I mentioned. You may not agree with me and I respect that, just wanted to share my point of view and experience. I'm also in the field of tuning cars, designing and engineering parts for around 25 years.

Marios
I will often disagree with Marios on varous subjects, but this is spot on..
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
Gary @ APT (23-05-2020)
Old 23-05-2020, 19:23   #18
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post
I will often disagree with Marios on varous subjects, but this is spot on..
And I totally disagree lol.

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: