Link G4+ Plug in ECU - Evo IX - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > ECU / Mapping

Old 22-05-2020, 04:51   #1
Corsica13
Junior User

Car: Evo IX MR FQ-360
Link G4+ Plug in ECU - Evo IX

I've seen some threads where this ECU is mentioned but I've not found too much on experiences or feedback of ownership of one these ECUs and was hoping some of you avid Evo owners may be able to advise and share yours before I consider purchasing one?

I would have loved to have gone for an Emtron but I really can't justify the price tag it comes with due to the poor exchange rate at the moment and I really need to get my car mapped properly so this ECU seems to be the most viable option.

Cheers
Corsica13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-05-2020, 08:48   #2
Steviej
Senior User

Car: Evo6
I use one of these on my Evo track car, 675bhp, flatshift for gearbox, dbw throttle control with blipper, lambda and boost control and can communication to dash display etc, great ecu in my opinion.
Steviej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steviej For This Useful Post:
Arronevo8 (22-05-2020), Corsica13 (23-05-2020)
Old 22-05-2020, 09:16   #3
Arronevo8
Senior User

Car: Std vi imported january 12 mint and very nice in white
My Car
Yes very good ECU and when you go into it there site is helpful and email you back. Ant from Indo-gt cam over to N/Ireland to fit it and took a while to road map with Knock censor fitted as the fuel over here is crap, not like in England. It shows knock count and if the car isn't warmed up it will pull timing until correct temp. The lead is in my glove box so I can connect my laptop to it. The ECU comes set up for the Mitsubishi evo and then the mapper fine tunes it the hardest part was getting the pipe for boost to the ecu as the fire wall in the evo is difficult.
Arronevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arronevo8 For This Useful Post:
Corsica13 (23-05-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-05-2020, 09:57   #4
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
I've run the previous generation ViPec V44 plug & play unit for 10 years with various states of tune in my 7. I'm not the tuner but find the easy to use software interface useful for logging, diagnostics and easy stuff like tweaking idle etc. Its been very reliable and has lots of features should you need them.
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrickyDick For This Useful Post:
Corsica13 (23-05-2020)
Old 22-05-2020, 12:03   #5
Ads9
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ320, 2.2 Cosworth, TT S214b, Link G4+ Geekmapped by me (hasn’t gone bang. Yet.)
My Car
Are you mapping yourself or have someone in mind as that’s going to be your biggest issue?

I have had the G4+ PNP on my 9 for the last 5 years and no issues. One thing to be aware of is that the base map has some settings that NEED to be changed for it to work properly, as well as moving a handful of pins at the ECU. No big drama and if you’re using someone that’s done a few they should know all of this.

Given Link have just released the G4X there are bound to be some good deals on old stock G4+. Have you got an AFR meter organised for closed loop and logging?
I would consider selling mine to buy the newer G4X or possibly something else just because. Let me know if that is of interest.

Syvecs may also be an option, I think price-wise it’s in the middle of Link and Emtron and their offices are in Hampshire?
Ads9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ads9 For This Useful Post:
Corsica13 (23-05-2020)
Old 22-05-2020, 13:34   #6
MikeC
Senior User

Car: Red E5
As with anything, go with what your mapper has experience in using. I have heard nothing but good things with the Link unit and it powers some high hp cars.

As Ads said, there are probably some good deals out there at the min.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeC For This Useful Post:
Corsica13 (23-05-2020)
Old 22-05-2020, 13:56   #7
Humps85
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads9 View Post
Are you mapping yourself or have someone in mind as thatís going to be your biggest issue?

I have had the G4+ PNP on my 9 for the last 5 years and no issues. One thing to be aware of is that the base map has some settings that NEED to be changed for it to work properly, as well as moving a handful of pins at the ECU. No big drama and if youíre using someone thatís done a few they should know all of this.

Given Link have just released the G4X there are bound to be some good deals on old stock G4+. Have you got an AFR meter organised for closed loop and logging?
I would consider selling mine to buy the newer G4X or possibly something else just because. Let me know if that is of interest.

Syvecs may also be an option, I think price-wise itís in the middle of Link and Emtron and their offices are in Hampshire?
Maybe interested in this if the op isnít. How much would you want for it ??
Humps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Humps85 For This Useful Post:
Corsica13 (23-05-2020)
Old 22-05-2020, 14:28   #8
McGoo60
Senior User

I can't speak for the 9 but I installed the link G4+ on my 6, very easy to do and setup on the base map, no pins needed changing, then I trailered it for mapping, I think I paid around £1350-1400 for the ECU, the CAN Lambda and the wiring extension so you can get deals if you shop around.
McGoo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McGoo60 For This Useful Post:
Corsica13 (23-05-2020)
Old 23-05-2020, 11:20   #9
Corsica13
Junior User

Thanks for all your replies, super helpful as always

It's good to hear the Link G4 is proving to be a decent bit of kit and for the money, compared to some other ECUs, it's clearly a reputable product that does the job.

I won't be mapping the car myself, Mark from MAD will be taking care of that and has explained he would recommend the Emtron all day being a far superior ECU but happy to map the Link also, which is what I'm contemplating at the moment.

From the research I've done, the Link is definitely a popular option and with the price, very tempting.

I don't know if I should save a bit more and hold off for the Emtron, or for the sake of getting an ECU now and just go with the Link G4+.

I did also look at the G4x and that is a wire in ECU only, not a plug in, it's the same price too from what I've seen.

https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/link-g4-...cer-evo-9.html

https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/link-g4-xtreme-ecu.html

As for Syvecs or Motec, I'm thinking for what they cost, I'm not too far off the Emtron so would make more sense to spend a bit extra and go for Emtron.

It's a tricky one, I'm still deciding!
Old 23-05-2020, 11:22   #10
Corsica13
Junior User

As for AFR monitor, I will be ordering the following:

I tried to add the link but it's not working, it's a "AFR500v2 - Air Fuel Ratio Monitor Kit - Wideband O2 System".

You can find it on their website if interested: https://www.bmotorsports.com/

Last edited by Corsica13; 23-05-2020 at 11:25.. Reason: URL wasn't working!
Old 23-05-2020, 16:24   #11
Gary @ APT
MLR Traders

Car: Evo VII
Send a message via MSN to Gary @ APT
if you going with proper ecu then why add a external afr kit , the bonas of a ecu and its own lambda controller is if theres a error with sensor it will report it ,

personally its always been motec , so many other tuners changed brands like wind or lastest fad.
Gary @ APT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 17:48   #12
grants
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary @ APT View Post
if you going with proper ecu then why add a external afr kit , the bonas of a ecu and its own lambda controller is if theres a error with sensor it will report it ,

personally its always been motec , so many other tuners changed brands like wind or lastest fad.
What a load of blox
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 18:01   #13
Gary @ APT
MLR Traders

Car: Evo VII
Send a message via MSN to Gary @ APT
Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
What a load of blox

Maybe if they have can based but Iíve always found external boxes to be basic 0-5 volt , at least with motec to motec if sensor fails or gets stuck it disables feedback control
Gary @ APT is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: