New Evo IX Owner - Compression Test Results Not Good!!! - Page 4 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
 
 

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Newbie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 16:05   #46
famz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 9
I am not really shocked nor surprised at that 'comprehensive report'. Is now even a report on huge BHP and money instead.

The cost of purchasing an IX MR at that low mileage aint worth it if you are to overhaul the engine already. Unless you intended to do so from the onset regardless of current state. Refund is what I would be promptly demanding. No ifs no buts. Alternatively seller offsets costs to overhaul that engine to an acceptable state.

Was in this position at the end of last year and I even took pictures for reference.

Your compression figures are similar to my own wet test results and mine were after more than a decade of use.

I wouldn't trust them bore scope images as they tend to exaggerate the depth and size of small things (debris looked huge in them).

If those compression figures are wet test, then the dry ones are horrible. Mine were 90+2 across the four cylinders.

The car drove alright usually but lacked power. The BOV, that usual emphatic oomph was gone.
Oil consumption was 0.5 litre across a service cycle and the vibrations on high load were what made me overhaul it.
Well that and a grandpa in a skoda passing me and angrily gesturing at me to move over :-O

I got quoted for those silly amounts by almost all garages and they even lost interest when I said I am looking to return the engine to OEM spec.

Those amounts quoted, I considered these as cheaper and better options for me:-

- Import 2 clean engines from Japan
- Rebuild my current engine myself x4 attempts with the added bonus of owning engine building tools and valuable experience at the end
- Import another MR and get rid of the current one
- Start with option 2 and then if at least attempt 2 is successful then switch to a new block on attempt 3, new crankshaft, new pistons

Option 2 and 4 and I don't regret my choice so far.

In the end the engine was to my pleasant surprise still within spec and only these really needed to be addressed:-

- Carbon deposits on valves and seats (they were non existent)
- Worn out piston rings
- Slight glazing at the bottom(piston slap area)
famz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 19-11-2019, 10:50   #47
Dave-Cee
Climate Changer
 
Dave-Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oxford
Car: MAD forged 2.2 IX FQ 340 PLG Leccy Bloo
Posts: 3,988
If you really love the car this is what you should do.

Purchase a decent usable ix motor a short engine will do to get you back on the road and run it as stock.

Put the other engine aside for now.

Enjoy your car, get some use out of it and then if you decide to go for the forged route etc, you have your original engine to build at leisure.

It's a win win situation.
Dave-Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-Cee For This Useful Post:
Mita (19-11-2019)
Old 22-11-2019, 22:41   #48
Corsica13
Junior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Basingstoke/Reading
Car: Evo IX MR FQ-360
Posts: 29
Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate all the feedback given.

In regards to purchasing another stock engine, I don't really have the knowledge to do the work myself or more importantly, the time, so most of those options aren't really feasible for me.

I went for a second opinion and had another leak down carried out, the result was very similar give or take.

Therefore the next stage is to strip the engine and as of now I'm working with the seller to have this work carried out, either the engine will be rebuilt and brought back to healthy "Stock" form or potentially forge the engine and upgrade some of the components.

I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome and developments.

Thanks again!
Corsica13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 07:11   #49
plip1953
Phil
 
plip1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Posts: 10,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica13 View Post

I went for a second opinion and had another leak down carried out, the result was very similar give or take.

Was any attempt made during this second test to pinpoint whats'really causing the leakage ie valves, rings etc

But in general I think the course of action you are now following is the right one, and I very much hope you get a good outcome :-)
__________________
Phil
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 08:33   #50
RaeTurbo
Senior User
 
RaeTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: S,Wales
Car: Evo2 mapped antilagged and LC by Mr Fox.
My Car
Posts: 4,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Was any attempt made during this second test to pinpoint whats'really causing the leakage ie valves, rings etc

But in general I think the course of action you are now following is the right one, and I very much hope you get a good outcome :-)
Indeed, makes me wonder why they’re not trying to find the answer, surely the more you know the better and if it is just a couple of valves need lapping in the engine can stay in the car.
__________________
Evo2, 12.1 113 mph. First try.

Last edited by RaeTurbo; 23-11-2019 at 09:29..
RaeTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaeTurbo For This Useful Post:
Mita (23-11-2019), plip1953 (23-11-2019)
Old 02-02-2020, 21:48   #51
flatlemon
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 55
Any update on this? I need to get my engine stripped too as compression is down.

Also, really sorry to hear of the issue you're having. Hopefully light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by flatlemon; 02-02-2020 at 21:50..
flatlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 21:49   #52
flatlemon
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by famz View Post
I am not really shocked nor surprised at that 'comprehensive report'. Is now even a report on huge BHP and money instead.

The cost of purchasing an IX MR at that low mileage aint worth it if you are to overhaul the engine already. Unless you intended to do so from the onset regardless of current state. Refund is what I would be promptly demanding. No ifs no buts. Alternatively seller offsets costs to overhaul that engine to an acceptable state.

Was in this position at the end of last year and I even took pictures for reference.

Your compression figures are similar to my own wet test results and mine were after more than a decade of use.

I wouldn't trust them bore scope images as they tend to exaggerate the depth and size of small things (debris looked huge in them).

If those compression figures are wet test, then the dry ones are horrible. Mine were 90+2 across the four cylinders.

The car drove alright usually but lacked power. The BOV, that usual emphatic oomph was gone.
Oil consumption was 0.5 litre across a service cycle and the vibrations on high load were what made me overhaul it.
Well that and a grandpa in a skoda passing me and angrily gesturing at me to move over :-O

I got quoted for those silly amounts by almost all garages and they even lost interest when I said I am looking to return the engine to OEM spec.

Those amounts quoted, I considered these as cheaper and better options for me:-

- Import 2 clean engines from Japan
- Rebuild my current engine myself x4 attempts with the added bonus of owning engine building tools and valuable experience at the end
- Import another MR and get rid of the current one
- Start with option 2 and then if at least attempt 2 is successful then switch to a new block on attempt 3, new crankshaft, new pistons

Option 2 and 4 and I don't regret my choice so far.

In the end the engine was to my pleasant surprise still within spec and only these really needed to be addressed:-

- Carbon deposits on valves and seats (they were non existent)
- Worn out piston rings
- Slight glazing at the bottom(piston slap area)
Did you do the engine overhaul yourself? Sounds like you got a good result in the end.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
flatlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 17:40   #53
famz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlemon View Post
Did you do the engine overhaul yourself? Sounds like you got a good result in the end.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yes, I totally overhauled the engine myself. The engine is still running nicely several thousands of miles later. I am extremely happy with the results and the lessons learned.
famz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 00:12   #54
Corsica13
Junior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Basingstoke/Reading
Car: Evo IX MR FQ-360
Posts: 29
I've been meaning to update this thread for a while following all your helpful advice and feedback and also to update on the progress with my Evo.

So after my last updates, lots of negotiation with the dealer and working with Mark from MAD, I ended up getting the engine rebuilt from Mark and it only made sense to upgrade the internals.

Though not the best outcome, but with me wanting the keep the car, thankfully Wynford worked with me on contributing towards the rebuild costs. My options were to either have Wynford bring the engine back to "stock" form through their contacts or them pay for half or just over half the cost to have the rebuild done with another reputable garage, in this case Mark from MAD.

After multiple discussions with Mark, we ended up deciding to rebuild it as a standard 2.0 and not going down the stroker route for various reasons, the rebuild consisted of:

- Stripping down the engine
- Machine work to block, deck and bores (from 85mm to 85.5mm)
- CP Pistons
- Carillo H-Beam Rods
- Ferrea Valve Guides
- Ferrea Beehive Valve Springs
- Engine Bearings
- New Oil Pump
- ARP head & main studs
- Engine Gasket Kit
- Cosworth Head Gasket
- Service items
- Labour

This work was all completed in March and I picked up the Evo 2 days before lock down was enforced so I was kind of lucky to get the car back in time. Since then I've been trying to get the car out when I can to run the engine in a bit, I've currently covered around 400+ miles and so far so good, the only difference I can see is the sound is a bit gruntier now but with the larger bore clearance and no balancer shaft, the extra noise is expected as described by Mark. I'm also keeping the RPM under 4k and not going over 0.5 bar of boost until we do the next oil change at around 500 miles.

The only concern I currently have is the car was previously mapped by MG Auto in Derby around 10 years ago by the previous owner, as far as I can see by the paperwork, this was the only time it was mapped and has stayed that way for the last decade. As I'm not sure if this map has been the contributing factor towards the symptoms experienced with the damaged engine, I would like to get the car onto a safe and up to date map. I looked at ECU Tech but I don't want to spend excessive money at the moment as I would like to buy a standalone ECU pretty soon to get it all done safely and properly but for the short term can't justify spending any excessive amount of money (remember I'm still doing all of this without my wife knowing the full extent!!!). The other option is ECU flash but from what I've read and advised by Mark, you need a cable which is quite pricey and the map can be a pain to work with which would be a labour cost I'd have to fork out for. I'm currently not sure what to do in the short term regarding mapping but this is something I'm evaluating - any recommendations or feedback on this would be welcome.

From the details above you can see I'm now planning to make it a project and my plan is to build the car to 600BHP, the intention of buying the car had always been to take it to that kind of power as I had planned to build a fast road car that was also usable but I just never expected to do it after 1 month of ownership and spend that extra money so soon, I wanted to enjoy it as it was for a year or two first - nevermind, I suppose that's life sometimes!

Anyway there is still plenty more to do and I will have many more questions no doubt, which I'll probably add on other or new threads.

I did also want to thank everyone that recommended Mark from MAD, the guy has been incredibly patient, spent hours on the phone with me, answered countless questions over phone, email, messages etc. and you can really sense he knows so much, the extent of his knowledge is amazing and has a lot of passion which is really reassuring when you're spending your hard earned money!

Big shout out to MAD for all their help so far and looking forward to the build ahead!

And for those who asked, here's a couple of pics of the Evo...

Last edited by Corsica13; 20-05-2020 at 00:18..
Corsica13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corsica13 For This Useful Post:
dreMR (23-05-2020), Mita (20-05-2020)
Old 20-05-2020, 00:14   #55
Corsica13
Junior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Basingstoke/Reading
Car: Evo IX MR FQ-360
Posts: 29
Apologies for those pictures, not sure why some came out so big!
Attached Images
      

Last edited by Corsica13; 20-05-2020 at 00:19..
Corsica13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 15:46   #56
Humps85
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 367
I remember looking at the ad when it was for sale at Wynfords, looks a nice car mate. Shame about the issues. Sure it will be well sorted soon though !
Humps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Humps85 For This Useful Post:
Corsica13 (21-05-2020)
Old 20-05-2020, 16:48   #57
Mita
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9,597
MG map

Stick with Mark mate , I know itís all money but might be worth getting his choice of Aftermarket ECU on there now on his map. Keep it all under one roof . Thatís an expansive build you donít wanna mess it up on. A **** map


Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica13 View Post
I've been meaning to update this thread for a while following all your helpful advice and feedback and also to update on the progress with my Evo.

So after my last updates, lots of negotiation with the dealer and working with Mark from MAD, I ended up getting the engine rebuilt from Mark and it only made sense to upgrade the internals.

Though not the best outcome, but with me wanting the keep the car, thankfully Wynford worked with me on contributing towards the rebuild costs. My options were to either have Wynford bring the engine back to "stock" form through their contacts or them pay for half or just over half the cost to have the rebuild done with another reputable garage, in this case Mark from MAD.

After multiple discussions with Mark, we ended up deciding to rebuild it as a standard 2.0 and not going down the stroker route for various reasons, the rebuild consisted of:

- Stripping down the engine
- Machine work to block, deck and bores (from 85mm to 85.5mm)
- CP Pistons
- Carillo H-Beam Rods
- Ferrea Valve Guides
- Ferrea Beehive Valve Springs
- Engine Bearings
- New Oil Pump
- ARP head & main studs
- Engine Gasket Kit
- Cosworth Head Gasket
- Service items
- Labour

This work was all completed in March and I picked up the Evo 2 days before lock down was enforced so I was kind of lucky to get the car back in time. Since then I've been trying to get the car out when I can to run the engine in a bit, I've currently covered around 400+ miles and so far so good, the only difference I can see is the sound is a bit gruntier now but with the larger bore clearance and no balancer shaft, the extra noise is expected as described by Mark. I'm also keeping the RPM under 4k and not going over 0.5 bar of boost until we do the next oil change at around 500 miles.

The only concern I currently have is the car was previously mapped by MG Auto in Derby around 10 years ago by the previous owner, as far as I can see by the paperwork, this was the only time it was mapped and has stayed that way for the last decade. As I'm not sure if this map has been the contributing factor towards the symptoms experienced with the damaged engine, I would like to get the car onto a safe and up to date map. I looked at ECU Tech but I don't want to spend excessive money at the moment as I would like to buy a standalone ECU pretty soon to get it all done safely and properly but for the short term can't justify spending any excessive amount of money (remember I'm still doing all of this without my wife knowing the full extent!!!). The other option is ECU flash but from what I've read and advised by Mark, you need a cable which is quite pricey and the map can be a pain to work with which would be a labour cost I'd have to fork out for. I'm currently not sure what to do in the short term regarding mapping but this is something I'm evaluating - any recommendations or feedback on this would be welcome.

From the details above you can see I'm now planning to make it a project and my plan is to build the car to 600BHP, the intention of buying the car had always been to take it to that kind of power as I had planned to build a fast road car that was also usable but I just never expected to do it after 1 month of ownership and spend that extra money so soon, I wanted to enjoy it as it was for a year or two first - nevermind, I suppose that's life sometimes!

Anyway there is still plenty more to do and I will have many more questions no doubt, which I'll probably add on other or new threads.

I did also want to thank everyone that recommended Mark from MAD, the guy has been incredibly patient, spent hours on the phone with me, answered countless questions over phone, email, messages etc. and you can really sense he knows so much, the extent of his knowledge is amazing and has a lot of passion which is really reassuring when you're spending your hard earned money!

Big shout out to MAD for all their help so far and looking forward to the build ahead!

And for those who asked, here's a couple of pics of the Evo...
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Corsica13 (21-05-2020), Dave-Cee (20-05-2020)
Old 20-05-2020, 19:34   #58
Humps85
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 367
Not an MG fan Mita ???
Humps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 00:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.