Cusco lsd in ayc housing - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 14-01-2021, 14:27   #1
Shax

Cusco lsd in ayc housing

Hey! I'm trying to post this thread for a second time, I got banned on my first account on here in the attempt of posting my first thread, reason; spamming? Makes no sense, I tried to get in touch with the webmaster to have my original account unbanned, since it most have been a mistake, I read the rules beforehand, twice now, still can't make sense of my ban, ANYWAYS!

My car is a EVO 5 with AYC.

The Reason I came on here were to look for advice on how to mount a CUSCO LSD in a AYC housing. My thread from yesterday was more thorough, but essentially I linked to another thread on here where someone had done this but they removed all the AYC components inside the diff, I've come to the conclusion that I most likely wont do that, since there is a risk of the misalignment from what I've read, and a lot of hassle to get it to work without the AYC parts in place.

So my option right now is, only remove the mechanical diff, and replace it with the CUSCO, which I need to press new bearings on.
Are these the right bearings?
https://mitsubishi.epc-data.com/lanc...154041,154042/

And can I simply "plug" the ayc lines into the diff? And drain the AYC part of oil completely?

I appreciate all help,
Thanks a lot!
Shax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-01-2021, 16:31   #2
grants
Senior User

My Car
Forget anything you thought about fitting a LSD into AYC housing. It is not viable £/time

Find an RS diff kit which includes mountings and drive shafts/

Your Cusco diff may have a s/h value
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 16:44   #3
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
The question is, which cusco it is...
Those bearings will not fit the ayc case.

I second the converting to RS diff idea.. BTW..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-01-2021, 17:05   #4
Shax

Oh damn, is it that expensive? The RS kit where I live is 2500£, Cusco is diff 600£.

Also, what would the process be? Not sure of the model of Cusco yet

Last edited by Shax; 14-01-2021 at 17:06..
Old 14-01-2021, 17:13   #5
kikiturbo
Senior User

My Car
there is a cusco diff that is a drop in replacement and goes into the ayc housing.. ocmes with the bearings..

https://www.4turbo.pl/cusco-metal-ls...,3,48643,29661

I have no idea which cusco diff you can get for 600

As for bearings.. one of the ayc bearings is not available anymore... the other one is a standard bearing which you can get anywhere... You can reuse the old bearing...

Old 14-01-2021, 17:14   #6
kikiturbo
Senior User

My Car
Frankly speaking.. nothing wrong with the ayc diff..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
alpinaturbo (14-01-2021), VR-4Squid (17-01-2021)
Old 14-01-2021, 20:16   #7
Shax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post
there is a cusco diff that is a drop in replacement and goes into the ayc housing.. ocmes with the bearings..

https://www.4turbo.pl/cusco-metal-ls...,3,48643,29661

I have no idea which cusco diff you can get for 600

As for bearings.. one of the ayc bearings is not available anymore... the other one is a standard bearing which you can get anywhere... You can reuse the old bearing...
Oh yeah it's the one you linked from 4turbo.pl, it's used, but barely. The guy that had it wrecked his car just after installing it.

Also, nothing wrong with the AYC system, but the solenoids in my ayc pumped broke off inside the pump body. I have to get new solenoids and rebuild the pump, not sure what else might break during the process so I opted for the cusco diff. What would you guys have done? You still think it's cheaper to repair the pump than installing the cusco drop in?

Should only be to. Drop in the new cusco diff, check backlash etc.., good to go? Maybe plug the ayc wholes?
Old 14-01-2021, 20:38   #8
Arronevo8
Senior User

Car: Std vi imported january 12 mint and very nice in white
My Car
It's the casing that's the weakness and it's bloody heavy. It works ok though.
Arronevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 21:57   #9
alpinaturbo
Senior User

I think AYC is fabulous, and Cusco may have it's place but somehow it seems wasted on AYC housing.

Cusco would be for race-car that gets abused and you want to setup diffs, after you have exhausted all other areas of potential improvement.

Starting at the AYC..with Cusco..is working backwards and out of synch.

If anything, upgrade to Evo 8/9 SuperAYC, to get more torque transfer.
That is positive direction and plug n play solution.

RS diff is fine, but why? AYC in road car is nicer, RS will introduce understeer if plates are setup to give aggressive lock. It will drive worse, unless again..you drift through every corner, which is only viable in racecar.
alpinaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 10:31   #10
Tyrone6
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 GSR Toyota Glanza V X2
i looked at doing the ayc diff conversion with cusco diff and theres a bearing that the diff dose not come with. and its hard to find i could only get one from the usa and cost about 250+. the diff + fitting and set up. better off a RS diff set up that what i did got a kit under 2k
Tyrone6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 13:51   #11
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

Car: Evo 5 850hp Hillclimb twincharger & Manual Legnum VR4 Type S
My Car
The clutch plates add substantial drag to the unit and are best removed. The casings also break away at the bearing towards the middle of the casing, especially the Evo 4/5/6 casings. The later casing is stronger at that point but still much weaker than an RS diff. One launch could see the casing break. If you take the clutch plates out you can add a strengthener as per this thread: https://www.lancerregister.com/showt...+strengthening which will remove the chance of the bearing support breaking away.
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madmac For This Useful Post:
grants (15-01-2021)
Old 21-01-2021, 18:27   #12
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
All the talk of weak cases etc is pointless.

The AYC Cusco diff no longer comes with the inner bearing which you need, and which is a different size to the standard inner bearing. This bearing was specially made for Mitsubishi, is no longer available, thus why Cusco don't supply this bearing with the diff for AYC install anymore. Good luck finding one!!

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: