Lancer Register Forum banner

Size of wheel issues?

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Andy1986 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am contemplating changing back to 17" from my 18" Bola's.
They look lovely on car, but are fitted with slightly stretched tyres to fit under arch (has Tein lowering springs at moment). They are 18, 9.5. Is the 9.5 the problem & would say an 18" 8.5 version fit better?
I was also contemplating coilovers so I can adjust height & in theory could I then get tyres to fit rims without stretching them? Would the ride raise solve problem or would they still rub arch liners etc?

One last thing, is it definitely a no no to use the standard space saver I have in boot if needed? I hear it can mess up diff especially if my wheels are 18 at present.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
You might want to mention what Evo... i.e. Evo 9?

I'm not sure you can get 18x8.5" bolas but even if you could it wouldn't give you the dished look you get on the 9.5 version.

Doesn't matter what anyone says on here, 18x9.5 wheels will rub on any Evo apart from a 10....unless you get your arches rolled or run crazy stretched tyres...

#3 ·
Your problem is probably the et you’re running not the width. Think most people go with et20 to get a look, It sticks the wheel out too far and you’d get rubbing. If you check the distance between the rear shock and wheel you’ll see what I mean.

I have 9.5 but et30 with a 265/35/18 and they’re spot on. Et30 is what you want if you want the correct fitment. Et20 is the stance look

#5 ·
Your problem is probably the et you're running not the width. Think most people go with et20 to get a look, It sticks the wheel out too far and you'd get rubbing. If you check the distance between the rear shock and wheel you'll see what I mean.

I have 9.5 but et30 with a 265/35/18 and they're spot on. Et30 is what you want if you want the correct fitment. Et20 is the stance look
Hi, 235/40/18 are the tyres i have on these Bola's. I looked under at the rear shock & their seems to be about 2cm gap from wheel. I would say they slightly stick out from arch but not much more than 5mm.
So on this 9.5 wheel 265 is correct width so my 235 have been stretched to fit?
The fronts have a nice finger width clearance but the rears don't have any, but neither do they rub as tyre sits inside arch slightly. So I'm assuming if I had your tyres on mine as it is, they would possibly rub on rear arches?

#8 · (Edited)
Et20 means the wheel sticks out further hence the rubbing people get. Et30 is the correct et for evos. Et30 sits it closer to the shocks so it doesn't poke .

If I was in your position I'd be changing the tyres to 245 minimum (if 9.5) or get wheels that are et30

This site tells you what goes on what wheel/tyre combo

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyre-equivalence-advice.html

#9 ·
Just so you know mine are ET30 Bola b1s. I have 245 tyres and they rubbed on standard arches. They seemed fine until I really pushed on or fully loaded the car and then it rubbed badly.
I was lowered on teins though not standard suspension

#12 ·
This might help SteveSAS but here is a picture of Bola B1 18x9.5 with ET30 on an Evo 8 with standard arches and some kind of lowering springs:

You can clearly see the wheel comes out further than the arch, and any travel in suspension would see the tyre scrub against lip of arch.

#17 ·
Thank you, yes mine are the same as these in every way except stretched 235 tyres so they don't rub. Don't like the bouncy ride I get with the lowered springs & stretched tyres. Thinking of going coilovers for adjustable height (think rear sits a little too low) & maybe a change of wheel to 18's but 8.5 width.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.