Why such a massive difference in price for Teins over Ohlins ? - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 13-05-2019, 18:56   #31
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
The best ride handling compromise of the current kits available is the Ohlins for me there is no question on it. The other kits work ok without doubt but I would rather fit Ohlins.
The best kit made for a Evo was the Exe-tc RM04 but you can’t buy these new anymore this is the only kit that I will fit to my own Evo and the rebuild cost as I have a set of used is going to be almost the cost of a new Ohlins kit��.

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-05-2019, 19:06   #32
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X 300 SST
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
The best ride handling compromise of the current kits available is the Ohlins for me there is no question on it. The other kits work ok without doubt but I would rather fit Ohlins.
The best kit made for a Evo was the Exe-tc RM04 but you canít buy these new anymore this is the only kit that I will fit to my own Evo and the rebuild cost as I have a set of used is going to be almost the cost of a new Ohlins kit��.

Mark

All very well to say this Mark, but have you tried eg Meister GT1s or KWs?
Old 13-05-2019, 19:32   #33
Mark Shead

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
All very well to say this Mark, but have you tried eg Meister GT1s or KWs?
Meister gt1 work ok and give a better ride than tein. kw ones I have had in tend to be a bit harder than what I like.
Nitronís are just plain terrible ride for a road car.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Shead For This Useful Post:
MikeC (13-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-05-2019, 03:36   #34
war-machine
Senior User

Car: evo 7 rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauno View Post
So wish to replace my suspension as advised on last service. Also soon to be contacting CR1 for some underside work (thought I could get everything done at the same time)

Personally I feel my car handles perfect for me, ride is a perfect comfort. But the the price of full kit of Bilsteins I can go Coilovers, which I feel most prefer now?

I'm an occasional fine weather driver & attend a few shows each year, car wont be going on track, but want confidence in the suspension if we have a little B-road blast.

Can anyone explain why the large price difference between Teins & Ohlins, are Ohlins really that much better? I've always thought Teins were good quality (never owned any tein suspension before)

Look forward to thoughts, opinions & suggestions

teins are too harsh and not a patch on ohlins....buy some Bilstens and order swift springs from states...if they still sell them...surpose to be best Compromise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
war-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 03:41   #35
war-machine
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav33 View Post
Personally I would just refurb the original suspension. I prefer oem parts. After all Mitsubishi must have done a lot of research and testing to get the best setup.

but Technology has moved on as itís been 10-15 years ? and ohlins and kw clubsport are mileís apart from hap **** teins... you wonít get them refurbished for two reasons I you may as well buy new shocks as the price will be the same or higher and teins have a shocking UK repair service....ohlins which i had on my evo rs... very nice ride.dump the teins in the canal

Old 14-05-2019, 03:44   #36
war-machine
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads9 View Post
Suspension can be quite a subjective thing. Personally Iíve had exe-tc, tein monoflex and now MeisterR GT1. For what I use the car for (90% B road mixed driving) the GT1 tick all the boxes- not too firm/ hard, predictable handling, fair price point (although that may have changed) and they also include adjustable top mounts. Iíd describe the ride as very similar to a standard sporty car, golf GT etc, but when you turn in the car doesnít dive, it sits flat.
The Tein were the harshest of all 3 sets Iíve had and ride was too firm for the road IMO, very much like coilovers used to have the reputation for of being too hard for the road. EXE were good but itís that long ago I canít really recall if it was a very harsh ride or not.
Iíve not had Ohlins but as with many things there will be whatís popular, and right now thatís Ohlins. Iím not saying thatís unjustified, but 10 years ago it was EXE TC or Tein Monoflex.
After all of that, your best bet would be to have a ride in someone elseís car with the suspension setup youíre looking at. Also keep in mind wheel and tire choice will have some effect on the ride. I noticed a big change going from OE 17Ē with 235 to 18Ē with 255 before changing suspension and geo setup.

WRT it being an MR 360 and wanting to retain value/ originality, itís not like swapping out shocks is a hard job and could easily be put back to OE later with a fresh geo setup.

had exe-tec refurbish my shocks...told me no more spare parts available and that was five years ago... they use a company called Faulkner Springs ? they make up any size of spring...

Old 14-05-2019, 03:48   #37
war-machine
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kins View Post
I think all their suspension kits are Phil, even the ST stuff.

snd made of stainless steel unlike the teins when the paint comes loose and rusts...

Old 14-05-2019, 03:53   #38
war-machine
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
The best kit made for a Evo was the Exe-tc RM04 but you canít buy these new anymore this is the only kit that I will fit to my own Evo and the rebuild cost as I have a set of used is going to be almost the cost of a new Ohlins kit��.

Mark

i had the cheaper ones and had them referb by exe-tec and they said no more spares and that was over five years.... whatís the ones Rossport was selling same bodies as exe-tec so could get parts...Again Rossport was selling them 5-10 years ago...ur right mark the comp spec Coilover is king
Old 14-05-2019, 05:51   #39
Mark Shead

Quote:
Originally Posted by war-machine View Post
i had the cheaper ones and had them referb by exe-tec and they said no more spares and that was over five years.... whatís the ones Rossport was selling same bodies as exe-tec so could get parts...Again Rossport was selling them 5-10 years ago...ur right mark the comp spec Coilover is king
The RM04 is still a serviceable part with Exe-tc so no problem there for me only they are very expensive to rebuild.

Mark
Old 14-05-2019, 07:46   #40
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: Evo VI GSR Import (& F80 M3 Comp & 997 Turbo)
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Just for the record, both the KW V3 and the next level Clubsport kits (ie with adjustable solid topmounts) are both TUV approved.
I already suspected as much - my point was that perhaps the TUV certification was performed on standard top mounts and that it might "invalidate" the TUV approval if you mated them to an aftermarket (non-TUV approved) top mount, in which case KW would be honour bound to discourage the end user (particularly in Germany - but probably whole-Europe as well) to fit any other top mount.

This is just one possibility of many that I could think of - one in which they told the user not to fit top mounts - but the reason for this being nothing at all to do with whether top mounts are any good or not.

Cheerz

Mark H

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rampant For This Useful Post:
Blood Speed (30-05-2019)
Old 15-05-2019, 19:02   #41
zefal
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ340
My Car
I was in exactly your situation. A road car with OEM B9s that needed replacing. I was running Tein lowering springs and happy with the way the car drove and sat (looked).
It was basically £800 to replace the OEM B9s and top mounts etc. I looked at coilovers and everyone mentioned how good the Ohlins were.
I bit the bullet and got the Ohlins but was worried it would ruin the way the car drove compared to standard.
I didn't need to worry at all the Ohlins are as amazing as everyone says. They are a little harder (marginal) then OEM at lower speeds but not harsh or crashy. You can feel the quality of the dampening. However at higher speeds they really do come improve everything. Reduced roll and stability and I can't believe how it deals with even the worst road surfaces and bumps. Just rolls over them.
If you have the cash, get the Ohlins but you won't go wrong with OEM if you don't have the cash. OEM is still a good ride for a performance car. You do get what you pay for in the Ohlins. I would find it hard to go back to OEM now after feeling what it's like to drive with Ohlins but it wouldn't be end of the world.
The true test though was the wife, she didn't say it was more bumpy
Old 15-05-2019, 19:40   #42
dreMR
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefal View Post
I was in exactly your situation. A road car with OEM B9s that needed replacing. I was running Tein lowering springs and happy with the way the car drove and sat (looked).
It was basically £800 to replace the OEM B9s and top mounts etc. I looked at coilovers and everyone mentioned how good the Ohlins were.
I bit the bullet and got the Ohlins but was worried it would ruin the way the car drove compared to standard.
I didn't need to worry at all the Ohlins are as amazing as everyone says. They are a little harder (marginal) then OEM at lower speeds but not harsh or crashy. You can feel the quality of the dampening. However at higher speeds they really do come improve everything. Reduced roll and stability and I can't believe how it deals with even the worst road surfaces and bumps. Just rolls over them.
If you have the cash, get the Ohlins but you won't go wrong with OEM if you don't have the cash. OEM is still a good ride for a performance car. You do get what you pay for in the Ohlins. I would find it hard to go back to OEM now after feeling what it's like to drive with Ohlins but it wouldn't be end of the world.
The true test though was the wife, she didn't say it was more bumpy
Just been out in my car for a quick blast. Your description is exactly how I find mine now Iíve softened them up a bit they just swallow the bumps up how have you got yours set?
dreMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 20:54   #43
zefal
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ340
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreMR View Post
Just been out in my car for a quick blast. Your description is exactly how I find mine now Iíve softened them up a bit they just swallow the bumps up how have you got yours set?
What ever ohlins recommended out of the box with a neutral geo setup. It does me fine
dreMR (16-05-2019)
Old 16-05-2019, 06:56   #44
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X 300 SST
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
I already suspected as much - my point was that perhaps the TUV certification was performed on standard top mounts and that it might "invalidate" the TUV approval if you mated them to an aftermarket (non-TUV approved) top mount, in which case KW would be honour bound to discourage the end user (particularly in Germany - but probably whole-Europe as well) to fit any other top mount.

This is just one possibility of many that I could think of - one in which they told the user not to fit top mounts - but the reason for this being nothing at all to do with whether top mounts are any good or not.

Cheerz

Mark H
I understand your point, but it is pure speculation and my information (from KW) is that it has no foundation in fact.

The truth is that KW designed and set out to market the V3 kit for cars intended for road use only. So as you rightly speculate, it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether adjustable/spherical bearing top mounts are any good.
Rampant (16-05-2019)
Old 16-05-2019, 07:33   #45
b00sted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo6er View Post
Itís like everything in life you get what you pay for. If itís just a B road bomber Iíd consider Bilstein B14ís which are a comfy good quality coilover that arenít as expensive as ohlins.

absolutely, but I hear about fake teins last time, same price, same packaging, but those are not original, just chinese crapy copy, So I recommend to find used coils
b00sted is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: