How about 6 to 911 ? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Other Vehicles > Non-Mitsubishi Vehicles

Old 07-02-2021, 17:41   #16
grants
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
All great cars. The Porsche brand is a much more labour intensive car to own and work on.
I wouldn’t sell my Evo for the 911 other than a Turbo.
I own a Cayman S and a 996 turbo but the Evo still does it for me.

Mark
What happened to your "Smarts"
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2021, 17:42   #17
liffy16

Car: white tommi
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
All great cars. The Porsche brand is a much more labour intensive car to own and work on.
I wouldn’t sell my Evo for the 911 other than a Turbo.
I own a Cayman S and a 996 turbo but the Evo still does it for me.

Mark
Thanks for the feedback mark, interesting you wouldn't sell your evo for a 911 unless it was a turbo which seems to be the general consensus on here.trouble is it's a bit of a stretch getting into a turbo cost wise and I could put some money into my tommi instead, rod job bit more power and ohlins suspension
Old 07-02-2021, 19:23   #18
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
What happened to your "Smarts"
I still have that

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 19:29   #19
Mark Shead

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffy16 View Post
Thanks for the feedback mark, interesting you wouldn't sell your evo for a 911 unless it was a turbo which seems to be the general consensus on here.trouble is it's a bit of a stretch getting into a turbo cost wise and I could put some money into my tommi instead, rod job bit more power and ohlins suspension
Not struck by a normal 911 of the 996 generation. My Cayman 987 S is a much better balanced car and great fun and will be 400hp this year.
My 996 turbo goes really well and will be 650hp this year. The running costs of these cars when they go wrong is much higher than a Evo.

Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Shead For This Useful Post:
liffy16 (07-02-2021), mgtkr1 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 17:23   #20
mgtkr1
Senior User

unless its a turbo i wouldnt bother, you will be dissapointed. id opt for a manual 996 turbo over a later 997 non turbo. a solid reliable engine that can make decent power with a filter, map and decat. im sure later 996 had the revised ims bearing which plagues the n/a cars. this shouldnt be a worry on a 997 but there fairly mediocre as far as performance is concerned. evo's are fun even at relatively low power levels. this comes from a mate who had a porsche itch and had a 996 carrera. didnt really rate it. he has owned evo's in various configurations and still rates the evo above anything else he has owned. BUT this is third hand advice that is subjective. id get yourself out in one to try out. definitly consider a 996 turbo though.
mgtkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 19:56   #21
liffy16

My Car
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtkr1 View Post
unless its a turbo i wouldnt bother, you will be dissapointed. id opt for a manual 996 turbo over a later 997 non turbo. a solid reliable engine that can make decent power with a filter, map and decat. im sure later 996 had the revised ims bearing which plagues the n/a cars. this shouldnt be a worry on a 997 but there fairly mediocre as far as performance is concerned. evo's are fun even at relatively low power levels. this comes from a mate who had a porsche itch and had a 996 carrera. didnt really rate it. he has owned evo's in various configurations and still rates the evo above anything else he has owned. BUT this is third hand advice that is subjective. id get yourself out in one to try out. definitly consider a 996 turbo though.
Thanks for the feedback, think I'm going to stick with the TME for what it's going to cost me to get into a turbo I can get a rod job and ohlins suspension fitted to the TME and that would be running just under 400hp with top quality suspension which I think would be a great setup for the road !and I will have plenty of spare money for V power
mgtkr1 (13-02-2021), Mita (12-02-2021)
Old 17-02-2021, 12:10   #22
Barry P.
Senior User

Car: Red Evo IX GT, Silver Evo 2 GSR, Radical SR3, Van Diemen Formula Ford,and a big "Datsun".
My Car
Have you considered an R35 GTR? Great car to drive and reasonably cheap to tune up to 700bhp. Most s/h will have already been tuned, it's nearly impossible to find a standard one these days.
Old 17-02-2021, 20:01   #23
liffy16

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry P. View Post
Have you considered an R35 GTR? Great car to drive and reasonably cheap to tune up to 700bhp. Most s/h will have already been tuned, it's nearly impossible to find a standard one these days.
Yes Barry have looked in the past but have been out of my price range same dilemma as the 911,really needs to be a turbo. Was just doing my homework on the 911 and I now realise why I've had evos for years regards colin
Old 17-02-2021, 20:09   #24
RichW

Car: E6 GSR -> E9GT -> e46 M3 -> M3 CSL -> E6 RSII / M-Sport BMW / GIXXER 750 K5
My Car
When i had my RSII my friend came around in his 996 Turbo and of course, we went out for a blast in it.

I found it very long geared and boring to passenger in, might have been different if i had been driving but i doubt it.

At the time i wasnt really bothered about Porsches, if it was today, several years on, then i would be taking more notice and would be more excited. Really appreciating the marque now i'm older

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RichW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 20:30   #25
Mark Shead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry P. View Post
I have driven one and did nothing for me. Great car but quite dull if you don’t have lots power power.
The 996 turbo now with a stage 1 kit I am developing is great fun and surprisingly fast fights for traction in second on a wet road.

Mark
Old 25-02-2021, 08:50   #26
morpheus1870
Senior User

Car: No car - WANTED Evo 7 FQ
My Car
A stage II GTR gets the blood flowing that's for sure and the platform is nibble considering the size and weight. Since picking up my VII though you realise just how much more nibble the EVO feels and with around 400 bhp and a good suspension setup, the GTR isn't getting away on those twisty broads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: