Evo is not liking this weather!! - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 24-12-2013, 12:44   #1
Patchb

My Car
Evo is not liking this weather!!

Right after last nights rain my evo 5 has been playing up a bit. The first issue is that the speedo has become very erratic, sitting at 0mph quite a lot and then it will suddenly jump to say 60, then 30 then 0. Completely random figures that have no relevance to how fast I'm actually going.

I've also lost power steering a couple of times, but both times it has come back after 30 seconds or so.

And the worst one is that the car will now only rev to 5000rpm before letting off a series of loud cracks and some flames out the exhaust. It's like the stationary launch control is activated even when it's moving.

I have tried to avoid any standing water and havent been through any deep enough to enter the engine but I did get a full on wave come over the car from a lorry this morning.

Any ideas as to whether these problems could be linked/any suggestions as to what could be wrong? I was thinking maybe damp coilpacks or something for the engine issue but not really sure.
Patchb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-12-2013, 14:00   #2
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
try the auxcillery belt tensioner that may be seizing up ans screwing up the alternator and power steering pump
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 14:17   #3
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
No idea re the power steering, but sounds like water in the speedo sender unit (top of gearbox) and also worth checking if water is sitting in the spark plug wells.
Advertisement

Old 24-12-2013, 14:52   #4
Patchb

My Car
I've just figured the engine issue is probably the 5000rpm limit for launch control, as the speedo is reading 0 the stationary rev limit may be active?
Old 24-12-2013, 14:58   #5
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
id still cheak the tension on the alternator belt ,if its to slack it wil screw up allsorts with the alternator and you will lose powersteering as youve expeiranced
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 16:09   #6
Patchb

My Car
Yeh I will do, to be honest that was on my to do list as it's been squeaky the past couple of mornings, hopefully just the tensioner as it had a new belt not too long ago.
Old 30-12-2013, 23:49   #7
davidol

Car: 98 scotia white evo 5
Hit the nail on the head with the launch control, the ecu reads the gearbox speedo sensor to activate launch control, if the ecu isn't seeing a signal it assumes your stationary and launch will engage, mate had the same problem with his 4, turns out the plastic cog on the end of the sensor had come adrift
Old 31-12-2013, 00:10   #8
oooPageyooo

Car: EVO IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidol View Post
Hit the nail on the head with the launch control, the ecu reads the gearbox speedo sensor to activate launch control, if the ecu isn't seeing a signal it assumes your stationary and launch will engage, mate had the same problem with his 4, turns out the plastic cog on the end of the sensor had come adrift
would have been happy with the sensor but it was the nylon drive in the box that had come adrift in mine. god i love evos

oooPageyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 18:28   #9
Patchb

My Car
I've had the speed sensor out twice and the nylon cog looks fine. Cleaned and dried the connector and made sure it's not corroded and still nothing.

I then found this tiny pcb connected to the plug which I'm presuming is my kmh-mph converter? I've done a lot of reading but it all seems to relate to ralliart cars and mines an import. This pcb looks a bit corroded so I'm going to clean it up and make sure none of the solder joints are touching and hope it works.

Old 07-01-2014, 19:08   #10
b6lee
Senior User

Car: now on my 3rd evo :-)
My Car
youll need to replace the speedo drive sensor. had exactly same problem with my old mak. fiddled and swapped the converter or chip like you shown but made no difference till I got another speedo drive.

had the same issue with the launch as well, most confusing on the road when put foot down and discovered I had a 5k rev limiter lol

same issue with the needle, fluctuating 40-140mph while going round tower corner at castle combe circuit lol
Old 07-01-2014, 20:08   #11
plip1953
Phil

My Car
You should be able to remove the wiring with the PCB on and plug the lead that goes to the dash straight into the sender. That should then make the speedo work, but it will read in kph. If it doesn't work at all the problem seems more likely to be in the dash. On my VI the original PCB was encapsulated in a small grey box attached to the bulkhead. I carefully removed it and managed to re-house the new pcb (bought on Ebay) inside the original box.
Old 07-01-2014, 20:41   #12
b6lee
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
You should be able to remove the wiring with the PCB on and plug the lead that goes to the dash straight into the sender. That should then make the speedo work, but it will read in kph. If it doesn't work at all the problem seems more likely to be in the dash. On my VI the original PCB was encapsulated in a small grey box attached to the bulkhead. I carefully removed it and managed to re-house the new pcb (bought on Ebay) inside the original box.
or the actual speedo drive in the box. I know where my money is
Old 07-01-2014, 20:47   #13
Patchb

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by b6lee View Post
youll need to replace the speedo drive sensor. had exactly same problem with my old mak. fiddled and swapped the converter or chip like you shown but made no difference till I got another speedo drive.

had the same issue with the launch as well, most confusing on the road when put foot down and discovered I had a 5k rev limiter lol

same issue with the needle, fluctuating 40-140mph while going round tower corner at castle combe circuit lol
Hmm looks like you may be right, just took it up the road and still nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
I don't reckon it is the dash as it only happened after driving through some unavoidable standing water, did some reading and it seemed to be a common issue after it getting wet. Only trouble was I didn't get chance to dry it out straight away so I'm wondering if it has damaged the speed sensor itself.

What would I have to do with the wires from the PCB if I removed it? I have 5 wires going to that but only 3 going to the plug on the gearbox? Any other tests I can try before I fork out for a new speed sensor? I can live with it being in KM/H but I can't live with a 5k rpm rev limit for much longer!
Old 07-01-2014, 21:11   #14
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchb View Post

I don't reckon it is the dash as it only happened after driving through some unavoidable standing water, did some reading and it seemed to be a common issue after it getting wet. Only trouble was I didn't get chance to dry it out straight away so I'm wondering if it has damaged the speed sensor itself.

What would I have to do with the wires from the PCB if I removed it? I have 5 wires going to that but only 3 going to the plug on the gearbox? Any other tests I can try before I fork out for a new speed sensor? I can live with it being in KM/H but I can't live with a 5k rpm rev limit for much longer!
On my car the pcb has a male and female connector such that it can removed from being in series in the circuit and the two ends that remain are simply joined together. Does that make any sense? I don't know whether it makes a difference whether the car was originally UK supplied or an import.
Old 07-01-2014, 21:22   #15
b6lee
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchb View Post

id say the water is more of a coincidence. just get yourself a used one off here. any 5 speed evo one will do and usually about £40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: