High milers + rebuild = low milers? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 10-02-2020, 11:14   #1
billy786_1988

High milers + rebuild = low milers?

As per the title really, if en Evo 8 is "fully forged" at circa 90k miles, is it in essence a new engine?

Those of you with forged engines, do you only refer to engine mileage as if it was reborn when forged?

I ask due to my interest in one currently on the market.

I've waited this long for en evo 8/9 but dont want its resale to be a hassle if its a high miler.
billy786_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2020, 13:17   #2
dreMR
Senior User

If everything was replaced block bored oversize etc I would class as a new engine. If just rods done or drop in pistons then it’s not. Also a forged engine won’t last as long as a standard engine 30-50k miles and it will need a refresh from what I’ve read.

Last edited by dreMR; 10-02-2020 at 13:21..
dreMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 13:28   #3
Mita
Senior User

Don’t forget the transmission is something to factor in as that would of covered the total mileage.

With regards to engine, I see what you’re saying re the forged and yes it’s essentially new. But that won’t impact on the resale the same as a stock engine
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
dreMR (10-02-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2020, 13:43   #4
dreMR
Senior User

Agreed the Rest of the car has still done 90k
dreMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 14:18   #5
r3k1355
Senior User

In the grand scheme of things it makes little difference.

You've no idea if the engine was built properly.
You've no idea if the engine was mapped competently.
You've no idea if the car was looked after or had it's guts thrashed out every day.
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r3k1355 For This Useful Post:
Christopher (13-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 16:19   #6
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
I see it as forged at 90k, its not a new engine, but obviously a hopefully better engine than a standard 90k engine

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 16:54   #7
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
theres not really issues with HIGH milers ,theres ONLY good and bad evos these days

while mileage is a consideration its not the bee all and end all

you can have a complete basket case at 80K miles or a minter at 130k miles

VERY VERY many of these car especaily imports have had a haircut at some time in there lives ,buy on the condiction and dont get to held up on miles and or service history
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to super rover For This Useful Post:
Mr Max (15-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 16:55   #8
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Depends what your definition of forged or a built engine is. For some people it's changing the rods only... for others it's replacing pretty much all components with new, uprated parts... they could even start with a 0 mile engine.

On an engine that's done 90,000+ miles components will have been subject to various loads and cycled so fatigue should be taken into consideration as well as wear.

In short, a forged engine will never be new despite the fact it may be able to run more power.
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 11:50   #9
Mark richardson
Senior User

I think with 15yr old plus cars the mileage is not the key thing.
I have an 8MR with 43k miles on which I know is gen - doesn't mean that there will be no engine issues going forward and doesn't mean a potential buyer would know the condition of the engine internally either but they can look at the rest of the car, listen to it etc and take an overall view which is all any of us can do really.
Buying any car of these ages has an element of it being a lottery so good judgement ios the best tool we have.............
Mark richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark richardson For This Useful Post:
Christopher (13-02-2020), VR-4Squid (15-02-2020)
Old 15-02-2020, 04:21   #10
VR-4Squid

Car: CP9A Evolution V
Once a car has covered 100k km (~62k miles) you're into the area where things start potentially needing replacement, clutches, bushes, bearings, etc... Once you are in that area mileage is almost irrelevant because there's no guarantee on the lifespan of components that haven't been replaced. Having said that, chances are most parts (timing belts excluded) that aren't consumables will likely be fine for another 100k, so just replace parts as and when they give trouble.

In the case of a rebuilt engine I'd have more concern over who assembled it, who tuned, etc than how many miles it had done before the rebuild.

IMO if you are worried about resale value buying any 15-20 year old performance car is a had idea. While a significant drop in value isn't too likely, the potential for maintenance and repair bills that make that number irrelevant is definitely something to keep in mind.
Old 15-02-2020, 16:35   #11
ClunValleyEvo

Car: Evo Viii FQ300
Don’t get to hung up on engines , it’s all about condition underneath now. We are now entering a stage with these cars that they will all need work / welding underneath. A guy I know of bought a genuine 50k miles car that looked like new underneath it was immaculate, with no under seal hiding anything and now 2 years down the line the chassis legs are beginning to blow out. They all rot from the inside out, don’t listen to anyone saying they don’t as they all do.

Get one that’s had the legs / filler neck / front cross members / Cills done as if you’re planning to keep any of these cars any length of time now you will end up doing some and likely all of the above work.

The price of under body repairs will drastically out weigh an engine re build.
ClunValleyEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:15   #12
Mita
Senior User

Iím guessing he didnít wax the box sections when he got it then?

And salt isnít kind to these cars. If you want them to last, donít use them in the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunValleyEvo View Post
Donít get to hung up on engines , itís all about condition underneath now. We are now entering a stage with these cars that they will all need work / welding underneath. A guy I know of bought a genuine 50k miles car that looked like new underneath it was immaculate, with no under seal hiding anything and now 2 years down the line the chassis legs are beginning to blow out. They all rot from the inside out, donít listen to anyone saying they donít as they all do.

Get one thatís had the legs / filler neck / front cross members / Cills done as if youíre planning to keep any of these cars any length of time now you will end up doing some and likely all of the above work.

The price of under body repairs will drastically out weigh an engine re build.
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 18:51   #13
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
also, does "overhauled at 90K" include the head, valve guides, valves, etc??
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: