Evo X - suspension discussion - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 07-02-2020, 13:14   #16
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: Evo VI GSR Import (& F80 M3 Comp & 997 Turbo)
My Car
Sounds like your particular set of helper springs is solely to prevent the main coil from becoming loose when at full droop. (This is normally only achieved when chassis is jacked up - and these helpers are to prevent MOT fail - I think I'm right in saying a loose spring is an MOT fail???)

If there is no full extension of the main spring when the car is jacked up, I'd definitely remove them, they're there for no reason at all if they're fully coil bound at full extension...

However, if you plan to raise the ride height a little, and to extend the spring perch platforms (if that is possible on your setup) such that extended main springs become loose enough to rattle, then retain the helpers.

{IIRC:}
{The term "helper" spring is normally properly used for what I've described above;}
{A smaller spring that is used to alter spring rates and aid in actually suspending the car is properly named a "tender" spring.}

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2020, 14:36   #17
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
Sounds like your particular set of helper springs is solely to prevent the main coil from becoming loose when at full droop. (This is normally only achieved when chassis is jacked up - and these helpers are to prevent MOT fail - I think I'm right in saying a loose spring is an MOT fail???)

If there is no full extension of the main spring when the car is jacked up, I'd definitely remove them, they're there for no reason at all if they're fully coil bound at full extension...

However, if you plan to raise the ride height a little, and to extend the spring perch platforms (if that is possible on your setup) such that extended main springs become loose enough to rattle, then retain the helpers.

{IIRC:}
{The term "helper" spring is normally properly used for what I've described above;}
{A smaller spring that is used to alter spring rates and aid in actually suspending the car is properly named a "tender" spring.}
Perhaps I didn't explain myself especially well in earlier posts. With the car jacked up (both sides together) the helper springs are fully unwound. And therefore, of course, they are necessary (although that wasn't my first thinking, and I then corrected it). However, with just one wheel jacked up and off the ground the helper spring on the raised side remains fully coilbound. That is because the anti roll bar is transmitting some force across from the side that is on the ground. Leading on from that, my contention was that, in practice, in any normal road of track situation, both helper springs would always be coilbound. But as Clive has quite rightly pointed out there might be situation in which both wheels on the same axle cease to have contact with the road/track surface (eg a hump back bridge taken at speed, or negotiating The Mountain at Cadwell in flamboyant style!), and that's when the helper has a valuable roll to play.

By raising the car, and given that my coilovers don't have separate ride height and spring preload adjustability, the full droop situation will be that the helper spring will at all times be become partially compressed.

I couldn't tell you how an MOT tester would view things if a main spring was found to be loose on full droop (but would that ever be measured?), but what I do know is that the German TUV accreditation would definitely not be forthcoming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: