Car Purchase Dilemma - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 10-02-2020, 21:00   #1
KuramaInc

Talking Car Purchase Dilemma

Hey! I'm really new to this site! I've been following it for a bit just trying to learn what I can. I'm not sure if this question has been posted yet but here I go.

As the title suggests I am in a dilemma for which EVO to buy. I have two options so far. I'm torn between the Evo 3 and the Evo 4. Currently, the 3 is legal in the states but I can't really find much support for it as far as forums or videos for repairs and whatnot. If I'm mistaken which I'm sure I am and if someone could point me in the direction of good mechanic forums or also shops in the DC, MD, VA area that specializes in these types of cars that would be great!

The 4 looks to have a bigger and more popular fan base from what it seems and more options for parts as it kind of works in with the 5-9 Evo's. But I digress. My one problem is the 3 is available now but the price point is around 16-23k which is pretty high. The 4 is around 9-14k but won't be legal for another year+ at least. I really like both for their own reasons. The 4 looks better to me but I will have to wait a long time for one. The 3 from what I hear feels rawer and if need be could be my daily until I get something to be my new daily. Would it make more sense to wait for a year-ish for the 4 or just pull the trigger on the 3? I'm just torn haha because if I get the Evo 4 and wait for the legality I will probably have to buy another car to drive for the time being. I just feel ancy with the second option even though it will save me money haha. (I moved from the city and currently do not have my own car, I'm borrowing my brothers).

I have a lot of other questions haha But these seemed like the most reasonable since It actually involved getting the car first. Also, has anybody had any trouble financing these cars from a bank? I plan on paying a chunk of the cost but I will probably need a loan to get the last bit.
KuramaInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2020, 06:07   #2
Mita
Senior User

Wait a bit longer and get a 5 is my advice.
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Cardsharky (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 16:34   #3
RSgeoff
Senior User

Car: Audi S4 3.0 V6 Supercharged
My Car
Both very old cars now and a massive risk to buy any without seeing them in the flesh. For example there's currently a III available which looks superb in the photos but in reality is a shed.
Both models can also suffer from Crankwalk.
Biggest problem now for Evos is you have to pay over double what they were 5-10 years ago and in return get a far worse car.
RSgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2020, 22:02   #4
Sleeping Dog
Junior User

Car: Evo 4, Apexi filter, 3" Cat back, Ralliart Triple Gauges, HKS Bov
My Car
Buy the car the car that appeals to you, it's always best to see the car in the flesh as most evos at that age are rotten on the underside.
Personally I drive a 4 and love it, the way it drives and especially the looks, yes people always mention the dreaded crankwalk but your talking about a nearly 25 year old car most newer evos have had an plenty of engine work by then (rebuilds) if not New engines.
I was told don't buy a 4 but went with my heart.... 10 years on and the original engine is still going strong but I'm always waiting for that fateful day... BANG New engine but I would still feel the same with a newer evo,
when that happens of course I'd put in the newer engine.
You could buy a 4 which has already had the engine swap.
I know people who paid 10 times what I did for mine and sure the look pretty but they've had a lot more problems.
Find a solid car then I think a lot of luck is involved.
All the best.......
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: