Wheel/brakes rubbing - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Tyres / Wheels

Old 27-07-2019, 11:21   #16
dreMR
Senior User

Did you have marks on both front wheels or just one? C1R think it was rubber/stones got stuck in there. They couldnít find anything else wrong and canít see them expanding 6mm. The marks on mine were not uniform all the way round.
dreMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-07-2019, 14:33   #17
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
The scoring is only on the left wheel and is even around the wheel but gap is small and I think it was most likely the wheel/hub flexing. Could also be slight tolerance difference between wheels as I swapped front/rear wheels prior to Snetterton. I'll post up results when I do some further inspection next week. The caliper is not loose but thats not to say it hasn't moved a little on its mounts. Originally I had a minimum 4 to 5mm gap so will be interesting to see if that has changed.
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrickyDick For This Useful Post:
dreMR (27-07-2019)
Old 28-07-2019, 08:43   #18
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Had exactly the same issue at Snetterton the other day when it was 38.1 deg. They had been OK at Cadwell earlier in the month.

343mm discs on 17" Evo 8 Enkies. The clearance was 3mm worst case static/cold. Its not runout as marks on wheel are even all around.

I saw an old thread suggesting taking a little off the brackets to add a bit more internal clearance - I measure up again and probably try that to give bit more clearance.
I had the same kind of issue with some APs on a X and taking a few mm off the bracket did the trick. But you do need to watch out that the pad will then be in a different position relative to the disc face. Also the caliper to disc edge distance will be reduced. In my case that wasn't an issue as there was still sufficient clearance room for the pads to extend towards the bell and adequate disc edge to caliper body clearance too.
Old 05-08-2019, 13:41   #19
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
To complete my story my minimum gap was only 0.8mm with the problematic wheel and that wheel was 1mm smaller than the set I used when fitting the brakes (both sets E8 Enkie). The scoring was actually not at the minimum gap as that was caused by a small stone embedded in the caliper. Anyway after some carefull measurement I had 1mm at the top and 1.5mm at the bottom machined off the mounting bracket and so now have 2mm minimum gap. Still a bit tight but good enough.

I recon you would be unlikley to get more than 0.25 mm of differential expansion and its mainly the issue of getting stuff caught between wheel and caliper that will cause problems.

One thing not mentioned above was balance weights which are often positioned immediately behind the spokes for two plane balancing. There is definately not enough clearance for those (5 or 6 mm needed) which I'd already noticed so asked tyre fitter to balance at the centre of wheel only - that has worked fine.
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrickyDick For This Useful Post:
dreMR (05-08-2019), plip1953 (05-08-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: