Lancer Register Forum banner

Sprinting Ideas...

47K views 127 replies 54 participants last post by  Shakey_Jake188 
#1 ·
It was a sad day at Cadwell when Darin announced MLR sprinting was cancelled for the for forseeable future...
The series has been such a great asset to the club and I'm sure everybody involved personally has enjoyed it, so I'm just struggling to understand what is wrong with the series?
As a company we have sponsored for many years and I thoroughly enjoyed being involved.
Some people think it's because the value of our cars is increasing so don't want to risk damaging them and others argue it's because the series became so competitive & expensive to be competitive.
Unfortunately it's always going to be a little bit like that with any non-one make series but the fun factor was always there regardless so I'd like to throw out for discussion what was really wrong with the series or if there is any way of resurrecting it for the future.
Just trying to understand if it's really dead because nobody is interested or if there is some way of taking things forward?
What does everyone really want from it other than a cracking day out testing yourself and your car against your pals.

#93 ·
I've never competed in the MLRSS, I was going to do Blyton in 2014 but I never got my car back from being in a RTC in time so had to cancel.

The reason I have never competed is quite simply, life and other priorities and interests have taken over. I'd rather put £30 in my Triumph Daytona and go for a ride through The Lakes or Snowdonia than pay several hundred pounds to use my car on a track day or sprint. It's a more cost effective thrill for me being a 30 year old singe male who for the last few years has been saving up to get in the property ladder.

#97 ·
I did my first Sprint Series this year at Combe. With two runs left my clutch went and to this day it's sat in the garage missing out on all of summer because I can't afford the repairs.

For me the biggest turn offs was the necessity to launch to keep up with everyone taking it so seriously and there's no opportunity to warm up and cool down your car after a hot lap! It was mechanical abuse at it's finest.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day, but I'd never do another one. Even in the bottom class I was the only car on standard road tyres, it's too inaccessible to those of us who want to enjoy these cars but don't have a race team budget to **** into the wind.

#peasant

#98 ·
problem with the half trackday, half sprint would be wearing out soft sprint tyres. Or even just trashing a set of tyres that would otherwise last a whole season. for me trackdays are trackdays and sprints are sprints, you set your car up for one or the other, rarely both in the same day.

Ben_r1 I would suggest if you trashed your clutch in one sprint it was on its last legs anyway

#101 ·
That could indeed work would also give the cars some time to cool down check pressures etc it was very fast paced at Coombe not that I'm complaining

I think leaving it open to other club forums would be a good idea also as Im sure there would be others interested in doing a sprint or track session

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

#108 ·
I have just read through the entire thread and it amazes me how people get so put off by the fact the top guys spending 150k plus on there cars are beating them...

I am looking into sprinting/time attack this year and i dont have a massive budget but that's not why i want to do it. I want to compete with anyone in anything and compare lap times, ill give you an example...

Phil Reed Cadwell Park this Year 1:25.866 in a what £250k car? (Thats a guess)... my best time outside of competition of 1:39.262 in a car worth less than 10% of Phil Reeds car with 370bhp i personally think Ross Paceward and the team chose the wrong driver :mhihi::lol:

You get my point, everyone is different i guess but for me thats a result on its own! Set yourself a target ignore podiums trophies etc find someone in a similar speced car or just someone you dont like and go for it!

I'll be racing this year in something, its looking increasingly likely ill be doing time attack in a few rounds but would love to have a go at MLRSS..

#109 ·
Phil Reed Cadwell Park this Year 1:25.866 in a what £250k car? (Thats a guess)... my best time outside of competition of 1:39.262 in a car worth less than 10% of Phil Reeds car with 370bhp i personally think Ross Paceward and the team chose the wrong driver :mhihi::lol:
If Jez at Paceward was insuring that car for a quarter of a million, I doubt he'd let us get it out of the trailer :lol::lol::lol:

If you half that figure you'll be closer, and that's with many parts being a few years old and even borrowed! Considering Gav's record had stood for a number of years and neither SVA, Black Mamba or even Olly Clark in Gobstopper 2 had managed to pip it, shows Phil's time was decent for circa 800bhp and encountering traffic.

Always look forward to seeing more people in Time Attack, although 14 seconds off the pace would stick you around the class level of the FWD Fiesta's/Saxo's with 300-400bhp. :smthumbup

Attachments

#117 ·
Moderator don't shoot me down for posting this in an old thread :handsup:

Interesting read to see the different opinions. I would like to share my idea of improving on this concept.

I think a good basis would be to do something along the lines of the older Group N rules.

Using the restrictor and having blanket rules for modifications between different classes, will allow a certain level of transparency.

For example (this is just a theoretical example):

Class A: 30 mm inlet restrictor+stock turbo, suspension (your choice), tyres (your choice)
Class B: 35 mm inlet restrictor+stock turbo, suspension (your choice), brakes (your choice), tyres (your choice)
Class C: 40 mm, etc. etc.

With the restrictor the governing body of the series will charge say XXX pounds. And the sprint entrance price can be reduced. At the end of the season, the restrictor is to be given back (it is like the 'ticket' to the race series).

This way the participants have made the commitment to the series (made the subscription for the year with the restrictor), this means when the next event comes up. The individual will think 'hmm I have already commited XX pounds, I might as well go and compete'.

And having a category Class 'Z', where everything and anything goes. Regardless if the cars are :mitsi: or not.

Just my 2 cents :smthumbup

#127 ·
Doubt it as the MLR doesn’t have any leader or organisation any more, no idea what happened to all the equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.