Lancer Register Forum banner

Another TME Restro

80K views 308 replies 73 participants last post by  Andy P. 
#1 · (Edited)
Well with the weather being as it is I've taken it on myself to do something that I've been wanting to for the last couple of years but never had the time.

Although the car itself has always been garaged when not in use there were still bits that I wasn't happy with (mainly the under body) and now with a new garage built that has plenty of space, a ramp and all my gear under one roof there was no more delaying the inevitable and so it has started.

I know from past experiences that a restoration project is by no means a quick or easy task but with all the other threads on the go I was feeling left out and inspired.

To begin with I was self convinced that I was only going to tackle the under body and engine bay but as we all know if you're in for a penny you may as well go for the pound so it's now a full blown strip down and overhaul and its going to be getting everything it needs no matter how long it takes.

So far I've been working on it now for about two weeks and it's already a shadow of its former self.

I've already taken over 400 pictures mainly for reference for when it comes to putting it all back together but also so I can look back and see the progress and remind myself of what it looked like many moons ago so ill update this thread as I go for you all to enjoy my pain and probably misery.

Here are a couple of pictures of the garage queen before it all started.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle

See less See more
#91 ·
Thanks, Yup, I have seen that, I read a thread some where on here and googled it, might have even been this thread. Ive looked at so many threads now for inspiration / recomendations I can't remember where I've seen what where! Lol

I take it you have used that product?

#93 ·
A couple of other bits that I've been on with is rebuilding some of the parts that were returned from the powered coaters.

All the suspension arms have had new Raliart bushes fitted then sent for media blasting and powder coating.

Once returned they were fitted back up as much as possible with what parts I have already.

Wood Bicycle part Flooring Hardwood Rim

Wood Bicycle part Tool Composite material Hardwood

Light Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory

Table Wood Flooring Hardwood Revolver

Bicycle part Wood Ratchet Auto part Musical instrument accessory

Light Bicycle part Wood Rim Auto part

#108 ·
Please tell me how you managed to get the rear ABS sensors along with the handbrake cable out? I am having a nightmare with mine. It's almost as if they are welded to the hub. The Bolt has sheered hold the ABS sensor in however I still can't free it even with a chisel! Cheers

#110 ·
Unfortunately if there that bad ( as mine were ) there is no way of getting them out without having to replace them :mad: I tried soaking mine for days in release lube ( plus gas ) but it made no difference.
If you have acces take a hammer and punch to the sensor tip that goes to the ring on the drive shaft and knock the centre magnetic core out.
Once that's free pull all the copper coil out and get a hack saw blade in and cut from the inside out at 12 o'clock 3,6 and 9 then the sensor case will fall out.
As for the broken bolt it's just a case of drilling and tapping it out and fitting a new bolt.
If you need any more info just ask :smthumbup

#112 · (Edited)
Yeah they ain't cheep I only had one come out and that was only because I replaced it about four years ago myself.
Ross sport sell them for £115 each for the fronts and £95 for the rears so if it ain't broke don't fix it unless you really need it out for other reasons.
As for the handbrake cables as Arron says there's a small clip that holds the cable into the backing plate.

#116 ·
I'll have a look through my photos and see if I can find one that shows where it is but it's in the back of the backing plate in a small part of hard tube and all you can really see is a small slit so it maybe that it's covered in mud or rust.
I'll see what I can find

#121 · (Edited)
Its been a while since I've updated the post so I best keep you all informed with my progress.

The front suspension has been blasted, powder coated and rebuilt with new top mounts, shocks and spring cups.

Light Table Wood Automotive tire Gas

Window Bicycle part Gas Audio equipment Rim

The rear hand brake assembly has been built back up along with all new parts including shoes, return springs and hand brake cables.

Telephone Corded phone Table Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive tire Tableware Motor vehicle Audio equipment Gas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.