Does EvoX SAYC fit an Evo6 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 06-05-2020, 06:19   #1
nikjt

Car: Evo 6 Tarmac rally car, caged, MCA suspension, Pirelli Trofeo R tyres on Enkei WRC Evo
Does EvoX SAYC fit an Evo6

My AYC squarks like a parrot, so I'd like to change it out for an SAYC unit, I have found a diff from a EvoX SST, which I believe is SAYC, but trying to work out if it will be a direct replacement for my standard AYC unit.
I believe I just have to change over the input flange.
Can anyone confirm this fitment?

Any info much appreciated, thank you

Nik
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 10:41   #2
djmisio85

Car: Lancer Evo 2 RS
Have you tried replacing the fluid in the clutch pack oil chamber? This worked for me on my 5 recently (awful grinding and squawking, the mitsu dealer told me I need a new diff... idiots)

Someone correct me if Iím wrong, but I think the evo 10 rear diff casing will need a bit of modding to fit your 6. The 7,8,9 diffs will all fit as a straight swap, but you wonít get the full benefit of the s-AYC on the 8&9 diffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djmisio85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 22:07   #3
nikjt

Car: Evo 6 Tarmac rally car, caged, MCA suspension, Pirelli Trofeo R tyres on Enkei WRC Evo
I'm not certain of the comment about getting the full benefit of SAYC, but what I will get is the benefit of improved torque transfer due to the planetary gears in the SAYC diff ILO of the open diff in a early AYC, which is the full point of changing it to this and seems like a reasonable performance improvement.

Obviously the 6 doesn't have ACD, but that's not what I'm looking for, just the best rear diff I can with a performance improvement, without the full cost of an RS diff.

I have tried replacing the fluid, only once mind you, and it still squarks, although clearly still operational.
I first cooked the diff on a 55km twisty tarmac rally stage, and wonder if the clutch packs are now damaged.

Last edited by nikjt; 06-05-2020 at 22:09..
nikjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 09:04   #4
r3k1355
Senior User

There are two fluids to change aren't there? Clutch bath and diff oil?
I assumed you've tried bleeding the system to check for air?
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r3k1355 For This Useful Post:
djmisio85 (07-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 12:50   #5
Wertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikjt View Post
My AYC squarks like a parrot, so I'd like to change it out for an SAYC unit, I have found a diff from a EvoX SST, which I believe is SAYC, but trying to work out if it will be a direct replacement for my standard AYC unit.
I believe I just have to change over the input flange.
Can anyone confirm this fitment?

Any info much appreciated, thank you

Nik
you will not be able to put the AYC from EVO X to Evo 6 drive shafts are different in the spline part. there are also different flaps on the main pair . you will also have a big problem with the gear ratios as they are very different . we put the SAYC from EVO 8 to EVO 6 the result is the gearbox fell apart after 200 km when driving calmly
Wertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: