Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Other Vehicles > Bikes

Old 14-04-2009, 08:50   #1
RevoVII

Car: Evo 7
My Car
Send a message via MSN to RevoVII Send a message via Skype™ to RevoVII
Bikers answer me this please!

Bit of a vent, but also a genuine question

Why do bikers come and sit on your rear bumper but on the offside of the car as if they are going to overtake

they make you feel bad and one pulls over as far as possible (as I always do when I see a bike just incase) but they just sit there inches away from your bumper and dont bother over taking?

Amount of times it happens to me and I cant work out what they are trying to do?!

Seems very dangerous as if I need to emergancy stop they are going to come off a lot worse than the back of my car..

RevoVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-04-2009, 08:54   #2
lady lancer

Car: evo 4 Icelle blue SOLD sharing a mental 6 :-) VFR400 SOLD saving for an Enduro
My Car
No idea I never do that, you get idiots on bikes as well as in cars

Whatever happened I didn't do it
lady lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 09:48   #3
PFC

Car: Wingo
They sit on the offside so they can see ahead of you. They may well have no intention of overtaking.

I'm no great fan of car drivers pulling right over to left, you get all sorts of ****e thrown up at you as the car driver "does you a favour".

On me bike I'll overtake when I want to, not when a car driver thinks I should.

As for riding too close, no reason for that. Much the same as there is no reason for anything else to be glued to ya bumper.

HTH.

PFC
PFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 10:06   #4
jabberwocky

Car: Evo 4.6 & Honda VFR800
My Car
I tend to move left to right for a better view through the corners but never glued to a bumper intentionally. IAM instruct you to move closer when over taking biut not to sit on the tail of a car.

I agree with PFC just do your own thing, most bike should be out overtake and in very fast I'm a great believer in not being on the wrong side of the road for longer than needs be.

HTH

Jabb
jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:36   #5
DesEvo 8

My Car
bikers

as a bike rider of 18 years,i would say bikers ride close to your rear off side to get better view over your car at road ahead,as for braking a bike will stop quicker than you, i always ride covering front brake. if a car driver pulls to the left to ease overtaking i always give a thumbs up as a thank you .
Old 14-04-2009, 11:56   #6
evo9ian

Car: Geek Tweaked VIII MR FQ340
Send a message via MSN to evo9ian
i was out on monday in the yorkshire dales and its big biker country, the roads are fantastic.

i have no problem with bikes at all, generaly there quicker, dont hold you up and most are curtious.

however some seem to hang on my back bumper as described above.

even when there was a prime overtaking oppertunity, there still sat there, only when i indicate and slow down and force them to pass me.

so f***** annoying

that and when they force there way in traffic i feel like knocking them off, or come past you on the out side on bends at over 100mph.

every thing said it seems to be the minority that are like this

ian

PS3 - NickelSpinner
evo9ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 15:57   #7
bakuk

Car: EVO-less
My Car
I try not to sit to close to the bumpers, but as above, keep moving from left to right for better visibility....
Staying near centre of the road makes me more visible for car drivers on the front as well (as they can see bright light -not for long though )
Also..... when I'm getting ready to overtake, I keep getting closer to the car so I can see drivers face in side mirror/.. just to find out wether he see me or not.
Never stay right behind for too long WELL... I try anyway
Bikers You're on about does my headache as well, blocking me up

I try overtake on low rev/high gear as well....
I've been overtaken ones in traffic with window opened by bike doing 80+ on (must of been) seccond gear. I though I DIED!!!.... HAHAHAH
bakuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 16:04   #8
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

Car: Evo 5 850hp Hillclimb twincharger & Manual Legnum VR4 Type S
My Car
They're maybe waiting for you to floor it!
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 17:16   #9
DuncanIV

Car: F80 M3 ,Pug expert pro,Evo IV with MR heart,Gems brain..........
My Car
normally they just sit on your bumper to see if your "up for a bit of banter"
DuncanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 17:17   #10
Spanpody
Moderatorô

Car: Evo 5 GSR NR500 (2.0 GT30) + VW Scirocco GT TSI
My Car
Anti lag
Old 14-04-2009, 17:32   #11
wh0s_the_daddy

Car: Evo 5 370bhp - stripped for parts - replaced for now with a Duke 999
My Car
There's no reason to sit on your bumper, bikes can overtake effortlessly, I had some complete knobs on Saturday on bikes overtaking my missus (me in passenger seat), 5 bikes decided to do it at the same time and cut in front of us because there were other cars coming the other way - the last bike had to cut in quick because he misjudged the gap and his/her rear indicator stalk touched the front corner of our car !!!!! - fncking idiot !!!, then he/she gave us the finger because my missus blew the horn, he wasn't on a sports bike but one of those Harley things.

I ride bikes and i overtake but i don't sit on the rear bumper of cars, PLUS the headlights on full beam p!ss me off when its all i can see in my mirrors.

One day they'll come a cropper.
Old 14-04-2009, 17:56   #12
youngsyp

Car: Shiny silver VII
No offense ment to you or your fellow bikers but, that's a very dangerous thing to think and quite wrong.
Logic will tell you that the bike has far less tyre contact area with the road than a car does. Factor in reaction times, regardless of whether you have the brake covered or not. Then factor in how pivot points work very much against a bikes stopping ability when using the front brake. Road condition, weather the list goes on...
If you are anywhere near a car and they brake suddenly and heavily at speed, you will be in their rear window full stop (no pun intended).
People may argue that the weight of the bike, versus the weight of the car will work in your favour. It will, in the right conditions but, you won't have the time, distance or state of mind to use it to your advantage in that type of situation.

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesEvo 8 View Post
as for braking a bike will stop quicker than you, i always ride covering front brake.
youngsyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:15   #13
johnd
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ340, APS 3" Exhaust, APS Intercooler, APS Cold Air Intake, Motec
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoVII View Post
Bit of a vent, but also a genuine question

Why do bikers come and sit on your rear bumper but on the offside of the car as if they are going to overtake

they make you feel bad and one pulls over as far as possible (as I always do when I see a bike just incase) but they just sit there inches away from your bumper and dont bother over taking?

Amount of times it happens to me and I cant work out what they are trying to do?!

Seems very dangerous as if I need to emergancy stop they are going to come off a lot worse than the back of my car..
I always sit on the offside but not on your rear bumper

It is part of your test that you should be on the offside of vehicles in front for visibility purposes. The majority of Vans/Lorries do not have rear view mirrors so you have to make sure they can see you in their driver side mirror
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:32   #14
johnd
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ340, APS 3" Exhaust, APS Intercooler, APS Cold Air Intake, Motec
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsyp View Post
No offense ment to you or your fellow bikers but, that's a very dangerous thing to think and quite wrong.
Logic will tell you that the bike has far less tyre contact area with the road than a car does. Factor in reaction times, regardless of whether you have the brake covered or not. Then factor in how pivot points work very much against a bikes stopping ability when using the front brake. Road condition, weather the list goes on...
If you are anywhere near a car and they brake suddenly and heavily at speed, you will be in their rear window full stop (no pun intended).
People may argue that the weight of the bike, versus the weight of the car will work in your favour. It will, in the right conditions but, you won't have the time, distance or state of mind to use it to your advantage in that type of situation.

Paul
Forgetting the highway code (60-0 in 240feet) what distance does an average Evo cover in stopping from 60mph
An average sportbike would do this in around 140feet

I agree that if you are on the back bumper it is down to your reaction time to avoid contact but I am interested in the comparison of evo v bike
can't find the MLR test on this search function
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 19:05   #15
jhfozzy
S.Wales R.O./Electrician

Car: Evo VI
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Forgetting the highway code (60-0 in 240feet) what distance does an average Evo cover in stopping from 60mph
An average sportbike would do this in around 140feet
Had a quick look as I was interested in the figures.

2003 Evo does it in 106 feet apparently. From HERE

110 feet HERE

I couldn't find a bike test, but a quote from HERE

Quote:
Combined with sticky radial tires, motorcycle braking distances are getting shorter and more controllable, and in some instances they are approaching the short stopping distances of the best sports cars (120' or less from 60-0 mph).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: