Ball joint problem on front suspension arm Evo 6 tme - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 30-10-2020, 10:11   #16
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushpex View Post
I thought the evo 6 had the ball joints in the knuckles, are you putting evo 5 arms on there? If you haven't put the old ones back in, you could try putting the ball joint in the freezer and the arm somewhere warm in the house for a bit, and go over the mating surface with a scotch pad to remove some of the paint
TMEs ran alloy E5 arms
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2020, 10:16   #17
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by spn View Post
Yes, the TME used Evo 5 arms, I'd be interested to know why; weight, cost, some other reason.

The Evo 6 arms give a lower roll centre which should be better from a handling perspective but do increase the unsprung weight when compared to the Evo 5 arm.
rally cars tend to drop of edges of roads and gravel track and the like can soon remove the bolts hanging down ,while it may just be coinsidence it could have been considered as lets face it the evo was made as a cometition car ,but i think it was also down to hub flex ,whey they went back to the 5 design
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 10:51   #18
madmatt
Senior User

I've measured the ball joints diameter where they sit in the arm. The factory one is 39.95mm, and the ebay one 40.15mm.
madmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-2020, 20:39   #19
spn
Senior User

Car: EVO 6
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post
well, that ball joint weight is just moved to the upright, isnt it?

Position of the roll centre influences how much the car will roll/lean in a corner. Better said it is the distance between the centre of gravity and roll centre that defines the roll moment. The larger the distance between centre of gravity to the roll centre, the more the car will lean in the corner. Now. the real issue is that mcpherson suspension has the roll centre that is not fixed in relation to the car / centre of gravity, but moves with suspension movement. If the axis between the outer ball joint and inner arm joint is close to horizontal that movement will get quite large which is not the best for handling. This is the reason that lowering the car on its own usually makes the handling worse *****ill you stiffen the springs and ARB). Most of the lowered competition cars will have a corrected roll centre, via the extended bottom ball joints or different uprights.
The 6 GSR arms are much heavier; thicker and have a metal plate to mount the inverted joint.

What I meant was lower pivot point relative to the hub, doh! which would raise the roll centre and as you say is advantagous, however having looked more closely, it appears that the pivot point is the same on both arms.
Attached Images

spn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 20:43   #20
spn
Senior User

Car: EVO 6
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rover View Post
rally cars tend to drop of edges of roads and gravel track and the like can soon remove the bolts hanging down ,while it may just be coinsidence it could have been considered as lets face it the evo was made as a cometition car ,but i think it was also down to hub flex ,whey they went back to the 5 design
The 6 GSR arms are much stronger than the 5 / TME ones and the ball joint can be easily replaced.

IIRC, the TME was a tarmac spec 6 and the standard 6 was gravel spec, so it would follow that lighter (cheaper) arms would be acceptable as opposed to the stonger arms required for a gravel.
spn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 16:26   #21
Pushpex
User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
I've measured the ball joints diameter where they sit in the arm. The factory one is 39.95mm, and the ebay one 40.15mm.
Try putting the ball joints in the freezer as thermal expansion can make a difference
Pushpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 16:25   #22
madmatt
Senior User

Since the seller doesn't want to refund me despite the fact he sold me ball joints that don't fit, I advise people to avoid him. His name on ebay is ziggy-a2z.

Also putting them in freezer and oven won't solve the 0.2mm difference, no need to even try.
Old 16-11-2020, 17:27   #23
nplatenkamp
Senior User

My Car
Maybe you can turn them a bit down on a lathe ?
nplatenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 10:27   #24
madmatt
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplatenkamp View Post
Maybe you can turn them a bit down on a lathe ?
For sure I could, except now that I've tried to press them into the arm, one ball joint is stiff, not useable anymore (the outer part compresses now the ball joint because it was "crunched" a bit upon fitting). So its just gonna go to the bin.

The most annoying part for me is that the ball joints I wanted to replace were fine. I changed all rears so I thought I would change the fronts as well. "If it works fine, don't mess with it" they say.
Old Yesterday, 12:04   #25
Greenstar
Senior User

My Car
eBay can be great but also your worst enemy . Beware .....
Greenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: