Lancer Register Forum banner

F90 M5 Competition or FQ-440?

7K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  peeler 
#1 ·
Just wondering what others think if choosing between the FQ-440 MR or the new BMW M5 Competition.

Obviously the M5 is better equipped and is also 4wd, quicker than the 440, but the 440 is still a blinding car and is less to buy.

Would anyone opt for the 440 instead of the new M5 X Drive?

#2 ·
Have owned an E93 M3 and an X FQ-300 tuned up to around 360 bhp, so not quite the same league, but maybe close enough for a comparison?

In my experience they are very different cars and you need to decide what you want out of your ownership.

If you want a comfortable daily driver that you can do medium to long trips in with family/friends, but is great at the traffic light grand prix and can also be thrown around on occasion, then go for the M5.

If you want a more dedicated fun car that you'll take on track/on spirited drives fairly often and aren't going to be doing too many long or fully loaded journeys, then I'd go for the Evo.

Driving wise the Evo is much easier and more rewarding to chuck around, whereas the BMW can still do that, it's just not as eager to do it as the Evo. The trade-off is comfort though - inside the BMW is a much nicer place to be.

Both cars have a very different image too, so bear that in mind if it's important for work etc.

#10 ·
There is no comparison. I was asking what one people would opt for, not asking to compare. I have the M5 now, but was thinking of putting it in to get a 440 to go with my others.

I don't want another house as I already have one and another doesn't get my blood pumping to be fair.

#12 ·
I'm kinda thinking if you got time & money go for the FQ440 but! Swap the SST box to a Manual as there seem to problems with the SST box on the FQ440 or all the SST boxes :blah::rotz::lol:.
Either that or go for the M5, I guess that's what I'd would do Mic.
This is the one Ish.

Attachments

#9 ·
If deprecation isnt a issue M5 every time, much better all rounder

I loved my M5 :coolsm:

Reactions: Evomentalist
#11 ·
If deprecation isnt a issue M5 every time, much better all rounder

I loved my M5 :coolsm:
The depreciation on the M5 doesn't bother me mate as it has been hit by it already.

I have bought it with just 1600 miles on and the price it dropped from new to now is crazy.
I do love it....too many smart functions on it to be fair, but with the X Drive on it and being able to switch between 2wd and 4wd, it is a nutter.
For something that big it is absolutely bonkers.:D
I've just put my M6 Gran Coupe in and the M5 made it feel normal.:lol:

I was just contemplating a 440 instead. Why I have no idea!! I already have Evos.

#30 ·
Hi Ray, yes still working away to keep the horses in the stables! I am in Israel for now and due home in 2 weeks.
Haven't been near the RS in a while, but when home this time I am stripping the interior out of it to remove the cage. That'll be me able to make some progress with it then.

Not really joking about the wife. Think it's time to ring the bell and call time.

How's your little Cooper you bought?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.