Bringing a car out of storage - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 12-01-2020, 11:07   #1
rhoran00

Car: On the hunt!
Bringing a car out of storage

Hi all - first post as i'm currently looking for a car.

(I've had a search - there are similar posts but none for quite the same time period)

I have now viewed 4 and the latest one i've viewed ticks most of my boxes. However, it's been stood for 5 years since being imported - it's never been UK registered and has been dry stored at the back of a showroom/workshop for this time (the disks aren't rusty which backs this up).

As it's been stood un-connected to a trickle charger, the battery is obviously shot and even a booster pack didn't get it going (although I do think the pack may have needed charging too).

Obviously before using it in anger it will need a full service, but has anyone got any experience with a car that's been stood for so long?

Generally seals don't like being left static/unused, but i'm not sure if a test drive and heat cycle would be enough to see if it was going to leak like a sieve once it's fully serviced and used in anger?

Of particular worry are;
- The fuel gumming up and blocking the fuel lines/pump/injector etc.
- All the various other seals on pumps - fuel/water/oil/Diffs/Power steering/Aircon/brakes etc
- Even if it had one before export, it'll need another cam belt, and as it's sat, it's likely more prone to have "set" and gone brittle

If it was my own car that I was re-commissioning, I probably wouldn't even start it without doing the full service, flushes & fluid changes, but I can't imagine the seller will be interested in doing the service without a deposit.

Thanks for any help/advice

Rob
rhoran00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2020, 11:23   #2
Mita
Senior User

Hello mate, mines been stood 7 years

I’ve just refurbed my fuel tank and although I drained it, the remaining fuel had gone strange. It smelt awful and was all brown and full of bits. So that would be a concern, not to mention fuel lines (I’ve replaced mine for new) . I know you can put stabiliser in that can last as long as 2 years before needing draining down. Ask them maybe what they have done to prevent issues? But don’t lead them , see what they say .

As for seals etc, I can’t imagine any issues if stored ok?
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 15:02   #3
rhoran00

I'm almost certain that no special prep has been done to store it - there was no mention of it, but that said, there was an intention to keep hold of it while the price went up.

How big a task would it be to flush the fuel lines do you think? Are there any obvious connections in the engine bay that can be disconnected and then cycle the ignition a few times to let the in tank pump do the work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2020, 17:39   #4
McGoo60
Senior User

If you have the facilities it wouldn’t be hard to drop and clean the tank and blow the fuel hardlines through with an airline. It will be even easier if somebody has fitted a new fuel pump the lazy way and cut the lines above the tank!
McGoo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 19:14   #5
rhoran00

I'll have a look, but I don't think the seller has nay compressor or kit like that.
Old 14-01-2020, 10:33   #6
r3k1355
Senior User

The tanks got two drain plugs you can get the majority of the bad fuel out with, there's a couple of small rubber pipes at the end of the hardlines you can pop off to drain those out too.
You'll probs need a fuel filter change as well.
r3k1355 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 12:14   #7
gurubala

Thanking

Thank you for your valuable information. Actually it helps me a lot.
gurubala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 20:35   #8
rhoran00

I had to walk away in the end - had a heavy misfire on the test drive despite some new fuel being put in. The dealer hadn't charged/replaced the battery in the week between first and second viewing and wasn't interested in providing any type of warranty or really do any work to get the car roadworthy .
Old 28-01-2020, 20:40   #9
Mita
Senior User

Think you did the right thing there mate
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 21:09   #10
jmhar
User

Car: Evo VI Tommi Makinen Edition
My car had been in storage for around a year when I bought it - it was fine on the test drive but developed a bad misfire under boost the day after it was delivered.

A set of new spark plugs sorted it out for just £14 (which was over the odds - can get a full set for about £8) - shame the dealer isn't prepared to spend less than a tenner on a set of plugs to attempt to resolve the issue.
jmhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: