Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo for £10k or less?

3K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  roosie 
#1 ·
Hello all.

Just signed up to the forum and wanted to ask a question.

Is it possible to pick a good evo 6, 8 (not 260...) or 9 up for £10k or less?

I see a few ads for 6's for under £10k but wonder if they're too good to be true? (They look pretty good in pics).

I've been looking at evo ads for like the past 5 years and I just keep seeing the price go up, and up, and up...

PS: Friend has an evo so know a lot about them, just not what they're worth at present time.

Thanks in advance.

#13 ·
A 260 is a good starting point if you're aiming for bog power mods as you end up ditching the FQ bits anyway.
Fair point, the For Sale section is littered with FQ owners getting rid of their Xenon lights and six grand's worth of upgraded gearbox. Waits for some Tedious Terrance to say the 5sp is stronger even know the 6sp is well proven as a reliable box beyond even 400BHP

#17 ·
Something strikes me as strange here , seems the common concencess here is that the 6 would be the cheaper out of the cars mentioned which I agree with. But it's well known the 6 is the 'poster evo' and thus popular...with that in mind I find it odd they have not overtaken evo 8s in value now.
I appreciate the 6 is an older car but surely they are all old cars now so should make little difference.
Just thinking out loud really :)

#19 ·
Haha and rally winner. :handsup:

OP....best decide on which model you'd prefer. 4/5/6 or 7/8/9.

Once you decide then make a decision on what you can afford. If it helps the earlier models are more 'raw' (eh Aidy) and the later cars are more daily friendly. If you are really leftfield and want to track it then personally I preferred the earlier models.

Good luck on your hunt. :D

Reactions: Mita
#20 ·
Cheers to everyone for advice.

Please don't think I'm bashing the 260, but I would just prefer something faster out of the box as I doubt I will be modding any time soon.

I really would like a 6 or an 8 FQ300, but I don't think the 300 is possible with this budget. A nice 6 would be perfect. I'm not massive fan of the 7's (no offence meant to anyone who has one), mainly down to the shape, but I kick myself these days for not picking up a 7 RS when they were hovering around £10k a few years ago! :'( The RS is my fav variant of the Evos and would love one in 6, 7, 8 or 9 form haha!

Thanks again for all your help. Will update this if I end up picking an Evo up...

#21 ·
That's my point, there's not many 'standard' 260's left. Most are stage 1 and have decent spoilers lol.

My advice would be to go and see a few cars around your budget and see what you can get. TBH it's all about rust now so wouldn't rule out a fresh import. :smthumbup

#22 ·
if its purely down to performance, dont dismiss the 260, as you will find tidy ones in your budget more easily than other versions, and if its had basic stage 1 and remap, from a power point of view, it will be quicker than a standard 300 or 330. Most 260's are modded to this point at least. The 260 engine is the same as other 8's, just with 1 cam slightly milder, and slightly different injectors. A 260 with decat, exhaust and filter can easily be 350 hp

If you want the extras of the other specs, then stick to avoiding the 260, especially if you plan to keep it standard

Stu

#31 ·
At last someone speaking sense.

You're stuck in 2007 so your experience is irrelevant. :D

Seems to be the same culprits davie. I'm gonna park up my eight since it's not a real evo. Best go dig out the 6 that way if I meet other owners I won't be embarrassed.
It's the usual MLR snobbery mate but I used it to my advantage and bought a 260 and with the 6 grand I saved I bought a track 5.

Don't get me wrong, I did have a few restless nights worrying about not having xenons and ridges on the roof but after a while I got over it. :smthumbup

#28 ·
You have to drive them to actually decide what you want, then find the budget required. Imo a 6 is a different car to an 8 or 9 in that it's more raw, whereas an later EVO's are more comfortable daily. Just my opinion and I've owned both! If you could stretch your budget to £12k it would open you up to a lot more cars i.e. RS's, 8FQs, 10's etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.