Lancer Register Forum banner

Strange moves from the rear / AYC Fault ?

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim Salter 
#1 ·
Hi,

I own an Evo 6 GSR OEM, except Tein Coilovers and currently on winter tyres at 2.4b of pressure.
Since many days, specially on rain, the rear make some strange moves and it’s worst with 2 peoples at the back... Like if the left rear wheel want to snap. Everything is tight however.

Another issue, I spotted a leak on the left side of the rear diff, more from top. Checked AYC boot Bottle and it was near «*Min*», checked the gear oil lever, ok. AYC fluid lever, not ok... I drained it and the oil was black and thick. I dunno when the previous owner drained it, but it’s not a right color for AYC fluid. After the drain, I re checked AYC Boot Bottle, and I was suprized that Fluid lever was at the middle of jauge...
To conclude all that stuff, diff is noisey on some turns (rainy days), ABS light (I saw that a common issue...) but no AYC light ATM. I don’t want to refill it until I find where is the leak

I hope you understand what I mean... Thanks for your help

#2 · (Edited)
Had increasing noise and a AYC fluid leak develop on my diff and garage said it was likley a gasket failure. I'm replacing the diff with a used low mileage unit as this is cheaper than a rebuild.

You mention AYC fluid what about the gear oil side? Normally you can drain and refill the AYC fluid from the diff AYC bath without affecting the level in the bottle.

#3 ·
There are three different levels in the rear diff.

1) Standard gear oil.

2) An AYC fluid bath.

3) The AYC fluid under pressure to push the plates.

They all need regular servicing (every 6 months is recommended for the AYC).

I'd service all three and then keep an eye on the levels.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi

Thanks for your replies guys.

This still a mistery…
I drained AYC bath a first time like I said before. Refill it, 50km test drive, still noisey and jerky moves from the rear.
I decided to drain it a second time, (AYC fluid was more liquid and more red than previous draining) and try to bleed manually the AYC pump. 50km test drive, no more noise!! However, after more agressive driving, car restart to move by itself, mainly to left side on strait lines. Really risky to drive it right now. In right curbs, car tend to go on the other side of road (I live in France).
I haven't AYC light, only ABS. Oil diff is at the right level, and clear.

By the way, my rear left hub bearing start to be noisey when I take right corners.
A worn HUB bearing can be a issue for rear differential fonctionment ? or maybe some air trap in AYC pump circuit that bloke one of solenoïd to fonction correctly ?

Thanks for your help MLR Community

#10 ·
If you are reading the codes by bridging pins 1 and 4 I think you have to disconnect the abs relay under the bonnet to flash the ABS codes out, I would find out the ABS fault codes first as the AYC uses the ABS sensors to work, you may find it’s down to a failed ABS sensor or broken reluctor ring etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.