quaife atb centre diff what benefits??? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 25-09-2015, 13:41   #16
Arronevo8
Senior User

Car: Std vi imported january 12 mint and very nice in white
My Car
Hi Clive I am having the 2-3rd syncro hub etc changed and on bearing would run Redline or miller oil to help the syncro as the parts come to £600 without labour and would like to help the box as much as possible Thanks
Arronevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-09-2015, 13:45   #17
welded1

Clive
Do you not fill the transfer box and gearbox separately.
Would you put the wavetrac ahead of the standard evo helical front diff
Old 25-09-2015, 16:43   #18
alpinaturbo
Senior User

Thank you Clive:

TME is awesome
Wavetrac works great.
Guess we'll leave it alone!
Unless you come up with suggestion for VCU?!
For handling- am speculating that widening front track and adding bit more caster would help even more:
It's on "E6 TME Tarmac front arms" with ball joint in arm: Momentun Arms are an option but too expensive, so am thinking of picking up set of Evo 6 standard arms with separate ball joint bracket, and making a custom bracket to press in ball joint in location forward (20mm) and out (20mm) to widen the track and add caster.

What do you think?
Then cover front with GP Sports wide wings.
Tie rods need lengthening.

The E8: it's track car, street driven often- but track focused:
Front is OEM Torsen, center ACD, rear your recipe plated(thank you - it transformed the car!).

Front Torsen is ok, but if you have better proposal: I am listening.
Rear diff is noisy at low speed and I am ok with that!

Thanks Clive.
alpinaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 09:22   #19
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by welded1 View Post
Clive
Do you not fill the transfer box and gearbox separately.
Would you put the wavetrac ahead of the standard evo helical front diff
Yes, but the gearbox oil is pumped through an oil way by the final drive gear (thus the o-ring between the gearbox and transfer box) into the centre of the 'bell' in the transfer box to lubricate the front diff. So, there are two oils in the transfer box, the oil that lubricates the CWP and bearings (transfer box oil) and the oil that lubricates the front diff (gearbox oil) This is also why the 'bell' is sealed with an o-ring, to stop the 2 oils cross contaminating.

Yes, Wavetrac is superior to the standard helical. It has a higher bias ratio, and it also works if one wheel is lifted due to an internal cam which creates a force to push the internal gears against friction pads to create torque transfer. (A standard helical acts like an open diff if one wheel is off the ground)

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
welded1 (02-10-2015)
Old 07-01-2016, 02:06   #20
mantazini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
Also, on the Evo 4/5/6/TME, the transfer box and gearbox oil supply system needs modifying unless you're running a dogbox because the gearbox oil lubricates the front diff, and the plated diff needs an LS oil, the syncro gearbox a non LS oil!
So whats the solution on cars running front RS diffs if not modifying ? Whats the best oil which can be used in this case? As some E6s with this setup came from factory instead of open diff .

Sorry for a bit of hi jacking ...
mantazini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:11   #21
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantazini View Post
So whats the solution on cars running front RS diffs if not modifying ? Whats the best oil which can be used in this case? As some E6s with this setup came from factory instead of open diff .

Sorry for a bit of hi jacking ...
You're confusing the standard helical LSD which mustn't be lubricated by LS oil, to a plated (non standard) LSD that must be lubricated with LS oil (which is the subject of the quoted statement)

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
mantazini (07-01-2016)
Old 23-07-2019, 08:56   #22
madmatt
Senior User

I bump this thread back up because I want to replace the open front diff in my Evo 6 TME, but cannot decide if going for a Quaife ATB or Wavetrac. Car is not used on track, just on mountain roads ("fast road driving"). Any advice/experiences?

Last edited by madmatt; 23-07-2019 at 08:59..
madmatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 18:21   #23
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
I bump this thread back up because I want to replace the open front diff in my Evo 6 TME, but cannot decide if going for a Quaife ATB or Wavetrac. Car is not used on track, just on mountain roads ("fast road driving"). Any advice/experiences?
WHY ??? do you want to swop whats the car doing that you think an LSD will solve
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 06:34   #24
madmatt
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by super rover View Post
WHY ??? do you want to swop whats the car doing that you think an LSD will solve
With the open diff I get front inside wheel spin in tight corners, I feel like I could improve traction and reduce bit of understeer.
Old 24-07-2019, 09:01   #25
madmatt
Senior User

I just realized I bumped a thread regarding center diff, but I was referring to the front diff. My mistake. Cannot delete/move my post now
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: