COP coil pack dwell times and energy - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 22-01-2020, 06:55   #16
kes205

Car: EVO VI GSR
My Car
Nice work. I contacted a few of the manufactures to try and get this information and they always said no its intellectual information. Can I ask what equipment you are using to do this?. I wanted to try and repeat for the oem coil packs as I could never find the accurate information on dwell times for checking what has been entered into my aftermarket ecu which uses the oem coil packs.

Unfortunately I don't have oem ecu to try and get the dwell table out of it and could never find the information online.

Last edited by kes205; 22-01-2020 at 06:57..
kes205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-01-2020, 09:30   #17
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kes205 View Post
Nice work. I contacted a few of the manufactures to try and get this information and they always said no its intellectual information. Can I ask what equipment you are using to do this?. I wanted to try and repeat for the oem coil packs as I could never find the accurate information on dwell times for checking what has been entered into my aftermarket ecu which uses the oem coil packs.

Unfortunately I don't have oem ecu to try and get the dwell table out of it and could never find the information online.
Thank you! Yes what information is around is not consistant although someone must know what the OE ECU settings are?

I will check an OE coil pack in due course to compare, just need to think about how to cope with dual output. Using a simple NE555 pulse generator with current shunts to drive oscilloscope and a couple of adjustable PSUs. The energy measurement method I found here. Some care is needed as the voltages are high and energy levels lethal
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 09:54   #18
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
Added a note on post 3 about low voltage dwell time limitation at high rpm - this is a highly unlikley situation but for engine safety needs to be considered.
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 19:29   #19
Ads9
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ320, 2.2 Cosworth, TT S214b, Link G4+ Geekmapped by me (hasn’t gone bang. Yet.)
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
I've done a good search on here and can't find anything either.

Anybody know what happened to Ads9?

He would have the Delphi coil table straight to hand, I'm sure.

I'll have a look on my home PC to see if it still has the Link software and my latest map to find the charge table?
Still alive and kicking

I had a quick search and can't find that thread on here either, but regardless the times that you posted are the numbers I got from Delphi. Let's blame VS for a change!

I have put some miles on my car with them in a sequential setup and no grumbles/ failures in the 4+ years since installation, looks like a good move from Denso.

Back to the OP, I do recall noticing the car felt a bit flat with the OE dwell times when I first went to COP, tweaking the dwell to suit the Denso's as per the original info I had made an improvement, both of which were on Link G4+. I then installed new Delphi coils and set the dwell time as per the table you located and here we are today.

With temperature being the killer I don't generally run the plug cover now, keep thinking about cutting some vent slots into the back of it and then don't do anything at all
Ads9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: