Trickle Charger - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 23-05-2020, 12:31   #1
LancerLifer
Junior User

Trickle Charger

Hi all,

I have just purchased the Halfords Advanced Smart Battery Charger Plus and I could do with some advice to ensure I don't do anything wrong! Sorry for the elementary question...

- My battery is located in the boot of my car and is a standard battery
- It mentions in the booklet to hook up the Positive Terminal of the Smart Charger directly to the positive on my car battery
- It then mentions to hook up the negative terminal of the smart battery onto a part of the vehicle, i.e a bracket

The question I have...

Do I disconnect the positive and negative terminals from my existing battery whilst the smart charger is hooked up? Or, do I keep the existing negative terminal attached whilst the smart battery negative is connected to a part of the car. It doesn't mention anything in the booklet about removing it.

Really hope this makes sense! Just don't want to cause any damage to anything connected wrong.

Would also love to know if it's OK to keep these chargers attached full time, especially not being able to take the car out at the moment.

Thanks for any help
LancerLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-05-2020, 13:04   #2
stevebt
Senior User

My Car
Mine hasn’t been driven in six months and I have had a trickle charger connected all this time. It’s connect onto original pos/neg clamps as if you try messing with them it will kick the alarm in
stevebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 13:27   #3
Stug360
Senior User

Car: A Pure IX 360MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerLifer View Post
Hi all,

I have just purchased the Halfords Advanced Smart Battery Charger Plus and I could do with some advice to ensure I don't do anything wrong! Sorry for the elementary question...

- My battery is located in the boot of my car and is a standard battery
- It mentions in the booklet to hook up the Positive Terminal of the Smart Charger directly to the positive on my car battery
- It then mentions to hook up the negative terminal of the smart battery onto a part of the vehicle, i.e a bracket

The question I have...

Do I disconnect the positive and negative terminals from my existing battery whilst the smart charger is hooked up? Or, do I keep the existing negative terminal attached whilst the smart battery negative is connected to a part of the car. It doesn't mention anything in the booklet about removing it.

Really hope this makes sense! Just don't want to cause any damage to anything connected wrong.

Would also love to know if it's OK to keep these chargers attached full time, especially not being able to take the car out at the moment.

Thanks for any help
You don't disconnect anything.
Stug360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-05-2020, 14:37   #4
LancerLifer
Junior User

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Ahh OK. I thought I might need to remove the original cables yet I won't disconnect anything. Seems to be working OK as I am getting a green flashing light.

It does mention on the manual that gases can be released during the charging and to make sure space is well ventilated.

With the car being shelled, and the battery in the boot, am I OK to close the boot safely whilst the Smart Charger is doing its thing?

Thanks for your help
LancerLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 17:07   #5
stevebt
Senior User

My Car
My battery is in the boot and the lid is closed as it’s on my drive.
stevebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 05:43   #6
pmugabi

Car: Evo 4 with E8 ECU, XS Engineering 272 cams, 80 series turbo
Significant gases are only released at high charging rates.

If the trickle charger is worth anything, it will be charging the battery very little so it's fine with the boot closed.
pmugabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: