7/8 Gr.N Rally Car Project - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Projects & Restorations

Old 15-01-2020, 08:27   #31
Richard_SVK
User

Car: Lancer Evolution VIII
did you use this kit as exhaust ?

http://www.evomotorsport.net/product...haust-options/

I am looking on it for long time for my evo
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2020, 13:14   #32
DEFIKS
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_SVK View Post
did you use this kit as exhaust ?

http://www.evomotorsport.net/product...haust-options/

I am looking on it for long time for my evo
I did but I had my made to my custom requirements etc. to max. out on the torque, so bigger 76mm elbow etc. Built by my local guys, where it was actually built on the car so perfect fitment etc. It was a bit more but also better material used too, as it's not only stainless steel but it's acid steel / not sure the right word for it???

Thanks.
DEFIKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 13:54   #33
madmatt
Senior User

I'm curious. You mention 76mm being better to get maximum torque. I've heard mixed things regarding maximum torque and large exhausts.
madmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 16:41   #34
DEFIKS
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
I'm curious. You mention 76mm being better to get maximum torque. I've heard mixed things regarding maximum torque and large exhausts.
Hello,

76mm / 3" elbow with standard Evo 9 turbo = improved gasses flow, so easier spool / more power / more torque. If you look over online shops you will find 100s sellers offering bigger elbows for standard turbos for the same purpose.

Thanks.
Old 15-01-2020, 20:09   #35
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
my car ran a standard 789 elbow and a standard MR, HKS down pipe the rest was just a straight pipe the was a silencer at the back but it wasnt packed with anything ,id have not got any more torque out of it with anything else im sure
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to super rover For This Useful Post:
Mita (15-01-2020)
Old 15-01-2020, 21:03   #36
DEFIKS
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rover View Post
my car ran a standard 789 elbow and a standard MR, HKS down pipe the rest was just a straight pipe the was a silencer at the back but it wasnt packed with anything ,id have not got any more torque out of it with anything else im sure
Monday / Tuesday will post the graphs, it does make a small difference like few other things and all together you are getting few more Hp with more flat TQ and also a bit more down the range etc.
Old 15-01-2020, 21:08   #37
Mita
Senior User

Looking forward to the graphs
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 05:55   #38
madmatt
Senior User

Me too, looking forward to the graphs. I like your build, there aren't many proper rally cars on this forum, I cannot wait to hear your opinion about the suspension, it looks mega.

Regarding the exhaust and torque, I cannot help to think that of course the biggest the better, but that's regarding HP. You obviously don't want to restrict the flow, but that flow is only getting restricted at high rpm, where you make power, so if you don't have a free-enough exhaust you'll limit your power figure. But the maximum torque is produced at lower rpm where exhaust flow is smaller, therefore having a "big" exhaust will reduce the speed at which the exhaust gasses are travelling inside the pipes, therefore loosing energy. A smaller exhaust at lower rpm will create some back pressure that will help turbo spool due to the pressure differential created between the gas pressure before and after the turbo. Of course there are mixed opinions about this, and I've never seen someone testing back-to-back different exhausts on a dyno, so this is just engine-armchair-engineer stuff (engine is not my field of work )
madmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madmatt For This Useful Post:
Mita (16-01-2020)
Old 16-01-2020, 09:35   #39
DEFIKS
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Me too, looking forward to the graphs. I like your build, there aren't many proper rally cars on this forum, I cannot wait to hear your opinion about the suspension, it looks mega.

Regarding the exhaust and torque, I cannot help to think that of course the biggest the better, but that's regarding HP. You obviously don't want to restrict the flow, but that flow is only getting restricted at high rpm, where you make power, so if you don't have a free-enough exhaust you'll limit your power figure. But the maximum torque is produced at lower rpm where exhaust flow is smaller, therefore having a "big" exhaust will reduce the speed at which the exhaust gasses are travelling inside the pipes, therefore loosing energy. A smaller exhaust at lower rpm will create some back pressure that will help turbo spool due to the pressure differential created between the gas pressure before and after the turbo. Of course there are mixed opinions about this, and I've never seen someone testing back-to-back different exhausts on a dyno, so this is just engine-armchair-engineer stuff (engine is not my field of work )
engine runs now, started instantly, now few hours idling, oil change and then 300km driving using higher revs / not loading it at all just revs and then oil change and Monday & Tuesday Dyno.

Graphs will follow and comment too.

Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEFIKS For This Useful Post:
madmatt (16-01-2020), Mita (16-01-2020)
Old 16-01-2020, 09:44   #40
Mita
Senior User

I too have read in to exhaust gas theory a fair bit. And what youíre saying is pretty much my findings. Itís all a balancing act, if it was that easy then every manufacturer would just go big .

My theory is big at the start as the gases are at their hottest and fastest. And taper as you go back to keep the gases velocity and heat best as possible

Quote:

Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 16:11   #41
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
thing with rally cars you cant go much bigger than 2 3/4 inch pipe other wise its hangs down to far and is soon flattened ,

YES a bigger system could flow better but when the inlets only 33 mm ,look at it on a rule its really is TINY ,the out put side of things neednt be overly large
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 12:52   #42
DEFIKS
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rover View Post
thing with rally cars you cant go much bigger than 2 3/4 inch pipe other wise its hangs down to far and is soon flattened ,

YES a bigger system could flow better but when the inlets only 33 mm ,look at it on a rule its really is TINY ,the out put side of things neednt be overly large
There is gold way...we have 76mm elbow and then 63mm all the way...
Old 18-01-2020, 21:40   #43
DEFIKS
Senior User

My Car

My daily EVO 9GT vs Rally Car (at the moment just temporary wheels etc.)

Old 18-01-2020, 22:36   #44
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFIKS View Post
I had the same identical boost gauge in my old R5 gt turbo.. bought it in Oreca store in paris..

nice project..
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
DEFIKS (22-01-2020)
Old 27-01-2020, 21:51   #45
DEFIKS
Senior User

My Car
Evening Gents,

Unfortunately we had a small problem with clutch which was slipping a little bit under the load on the bottom end and the results below are a bit off as we could not push the car right from the bottom. The graphs are for set up without the restrictor with std. Evo 9 turbo.

Results with clutch working properly would be: 395hp -/+ and 590 NM -/+ no restrictor and 300hp+ with 34mm restrictor.

We have 3 maps / no restrictor

1 map with 34mm restrictor

2 x ALS

LC

Videos:

https://youtu.be/9G1kILwz-0M

Last edited by DEFIKS; 28-01-2020 at 07:30..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEFIKS For This Useful Post:
super rover (27-01-2020), Tom Dick (28-01-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: