Brake Upgrade or simple Pad and disc change? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Brakes

Old 29-05-2019, 10:04   #1
Mxr156
User

My Car
Brake Upgrade or simple Pad and disc change?

Morning all,

I have been shopping around and reading up a little with very little confirmation as to what would be recommended.

My Evo 8 GSR is in the need for new discs and pads (They have become very rusty over the last 2 years of sitting around off the road unfortunately) and i'm looking to either change the discs and pads or upgrade the braking systems completely.

My query is, would it be beneficial to upgrade the brakes or stick with the factory Brembo system and just change the discs and pads?

What would others recommend for upgrades and would they require any change of wheels? I know the standard wheels have very little clearance around the brakes so I would need to take this into account as well (Especially as my standard wheels have been refurbished recently)

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Mxr156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-05-2019, 11:23   #2
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X 300 SST
My Car
The Brembos are perfectly adequate, especially with the right pad and disc combination. But if they've been on the car from new the calipers could certainly do with a good clean and quite possibly a new seal kit. And it would be surprising to find that the paint finish isn't looking rather tired too, so maybe a full caliper refurbish, by a company such as Godspeed, could be called for - I believe costing around £500 (but I may be wrong). So overall, what with the cost of good pads and quality discs the total price can push up well over the £1,000 mark.

So it might be worth looking at the many aftermarket options, most of which will probably be as good as the Brembos in performance terms and several that may out perform them - depending on usage and driving style. And in my personal opinion most look better than the OE Brembos. But, as you already identified, you need to be careful about size as most aftermarket kits require an 18" wheel to be used.
Mxr156 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 18:22   #3
MrBlobby
Senior User

Car: Evo 5 Rally Car
My Car
Literally what has been said above.
I use standard Brembo’s on my rally car on tarmac, have been refurbed by Godspeed for £500, I have some cheap £150 disks all round and some very good pads Forodo Uno’s Which is about £1k all in but for a road car you can go with some cheaper road friendly pads and your golden!
MrBlobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBlobby For This Useful Post:
Mxr156 (03-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 18:37   #4
Mxr156
User

My Car
Thanks for the info's guys, Appreciated. I've had the wheels all refurbished, and am looking at getting the callipers off for a refurbushment along with clearing up the Drive Shafts (As they are in good shape except some surface rust) along with replacing splash shields on the back of the brakes.... My wire brush went straight through them...

I've also got some nice new Pagid Groved discs and Pads as recommended by the guys over at Ross Sport to go straight on once it's all refurbished so hopefully I should be all good after a decent wire brush clean.
Mxr156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: