Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum - View Single Post - EVO 6 / 4G63 - re-torque of OEM head bolts possible?
View Single Post
Old 27-03-2019, 17:57   #6
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Is this a thing? No, we’re all making it up to give you the run around. Please don’t insult us.

Back on topic?

We are discussing the topic of the oil leak and the most likely cause.

You said comp tests are fine, so why do you want to ‘tear the engine down’ ?

If I were you, I’d remove the exhaust studs, degrease the threads in the head, then re-fit, coating the threads in red RTV or Loctite 5990 or similar.

I wouldn’t touch the head bolts until you know the head gasket is the cause, and even then, if it is, you’ll want to fit a new gasket, so a re-torque of the head bolts is mute.

A final note anyway - the standard head bolts cannot be further tightened once fitted, you need to remove, check they have not permanently stretched (nominal length 99.4mm), re-oil the threads, then re-torque and tighten another 180deg.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'

Last edited by Clivew; 27-03-2019 at 17:58..
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
Arronevo8 (27-03-2019), fletchbog (02-04-2019), Mita (27-03-2019), Tom Dick (27-03-2019)