Lancer Register Forum banner

Wheel spacers for Standard Evo 5

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  JF 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hi,

I hope I can help.

A couple of weeks ago I fitted 15mm spacers on my V with 17" Enkei WRC Tarmac Evo. The car is lowered on Eibach springs and I had no rubbing and it sits perfectly. I wouldn't advice going anymore than 15mm as I can see that it's pretty close to the arches. I guess 20mm it's too much, at least at the height that my car is atm.

I bought a different brand of spacers so on that I can't give any advice.

I attach some pictures so you can see how it looks.

Attachments

#4 ·
In my case I bought spacers that bolt onto the hub, and for that there's no need to change anything. It's good to check after the first run if it needs retightening.

There's is the other option of getting just the spacer and longer studs, they are both valid, as long as you get good quality ones.

For the longer stud option count on a fair bit more of labour to fit them as you need to get the hub off.

Attachments

#9 ·
Your car looks nice with the spacers,looks just right.
I am after some for my car,i would like to go 20mm but they may rub so 15mm would be better however the one's i have seen in 15mm size require the hub to be removed to fit longer studs but yours fit straight onto hub,what make are these and are they a available in Uk ?

#5 ·
Taking the hub off can be a f***** nightmare. My driveshaft was rust-welded inside the hub spline, I had to CUT the outter cv joint to get it off. What I thought was a simple job turned to be a nightmare. Just keep this in mind.

Otherwise on my 6 I fitted 15mm spacers with std wheels and it just sits fine. I wish I could use 20 or 25mm spacers to make it looking even better but for that you would have to do some work on the arches.

#6 ·
Although it was on a 9 rather than 5/6, I found it possible to fit longer studs in situ ie without splitting the bearings from the hubs. And that was using the super long ARP studs. But it was trickier at the rear where I actually cut a hole in the backplate of the handbrake assembly in order to feed the new bolts through. The other thing you can try is, in situ, to loosen off the 4 nuts that retain the bearings and hammer them (carefully) to partly extend the bearing outwards, which then gives more room to insert longer studs. I've seen this done first hand so know it works, although a lot will depend on the amount of corrosion between hub and bearing that may have built up over the years.

#7 ·
On my vi I run 20mm and ad08r 225/45-17 and wouldn't rub on o/e rims. If you run wider tyres that's when problems happen. I now run Rays ce28 with my tyres off my old rims as there very new and the rims are 8.5 and no spacers and no rubbing and its lowered on coilovers.

#10 · (Edited)
As basic guideline principle on the matter:

-On 5-X evo, stock ride height, stock rims, you can go up to 25mm spacers, without rubbing issues.

-On 5-X, stock rim/tyre combo, lowered on springs, you can go up to 20mm, without rubbing issues.

Anything other than the obove you should not go beyond 15mm.

Also if you go beyond 25mm spacer, things change towards the negative side of performance, so you will also need to employ other adjustable parts, (apart from a set of adjustable coilovers i.e) and correction kits to adjust/correct things for optimum desired outcome.

Marios

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.