Lancer Register Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

30-130mph - The Final Truth - Wed 17th August at Bruntingthorp

60K views 806 replies 106 participants last post by  Cryptwalk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
20-120mph - The Final Truth

Hello Everyone,

A number of other threads have shown the need for a better way of showing a cars performance potential that rollnig road days.

So the the first 20-120mph MLR day has been born:-

The format (based on 2 mins of thought, so ideas are very welcome) will be a rolling start in 1st gear then accelerating flat out through the gears to 120mph.

The location is unknown so far, but Bruntingthorpe is looking like first choice.

We will hire the MLR's timing gear to very accurately measure time & distance taken.

We will also be looking at the cost of the mods on the car, and running an number of UK Mitsubihi cars to get some benchmarks regarding performance for a given price..... and hopefully work out the cheapest way to get a certain degree of performance, and the compromises they bring.

The event will have a nominal charge per run of a car, and (perhaps) a charge for spectators. The aim will be to run the day as a non-profit event.....although any money left over will be donated to the MLR.

Please feel free to table ideas, and please put your name down if you would be up for having ago.

We will also measure 120-0 on the brakes for those that want to try it.....but I understand no all will be up for this as it can give the car a hard time.

(we will be able to extrapolate from this the time you would have achieved in the Autocar's 0-100-0 test for interest & reference).

Thanks for reading!

Date: Wed 17th August at Bruntingthorp

Ben

See less See more
#4 ·
GINGA said:
Could there be other tests aswell possibly like the 340 v 400 test where there were in gear tests aswell? think this would give a better picture of the drivability of the cars :coolsm:
Totally.... from the graphs you can pull out in gear acceleration rates / times etc.

We would aim to gather the same data for every car as the data DaveG & Darin measured for the MR340 vs. MR400 test.

It would be a nice data set for any performance car owner to have for their car.

Ben

#6 ·
GINGA said:
Also this probably wouldn't appeal to some but maybe have the same driver for the tests to remove driver skill from the equation?
Obviously the owner would still get some runs in aswell ;)
Agreed, I will be offering to drive anyones car on a run for them to do this.

I will also remove the gear change time from the comparison graphs to "remove driver variance" as much as is possible.

#7 ·
We will also have a full set of racing corner weight scales and a flat floor, so we will weigh each car with driver and where people are interested (or have adjustable height suspension) I can give them their corner weights.

Having weights, with all the cars being pretty similar aerodynamically we can make the comparison even more accurate.

Ben

#9 ·
A great idea , the result's could be very interesting .

Maybe the resutls could be collected and posted in their own section in the same format as 'MLR Modified'

I hope this happens , it'd be a good test for all cars invloved.
A great oppertunity for the tuners on here to really show their worth ;) :D

Count me in for a run or two :D

#11 ·
TurboTom said:
A great idea , the result's could be very interesting .

Maybe the resutls could be collected and posted in their own section in the same format as 'MLR Modified'

I hope this happens , it'd be a good test for all cars invloved.
A great oppertunity for the tuners on here to really show their worth ;) :D

Count me in for a run or two :D
I could gather some of the most useful information any performance car club has ever had..... i.e. how much you need to spend to get an amount of performance!

It will also highight, which is the cheapest route and what compromises (e.g. lack of warranty etc.) are part and parcel of a car.

Ben

#19 ·
duran said:
what about a top speed run

i wana no if my car will do 180 :confused:
If you want to drive a japanese tin box at 180mph I am sure nobody will stop you..... MADMAN! :D :D :D :D :D

I may try and entice some friends along with other performance cars:-

E.g. F430 Ferrari, TVR Sagaris, F360 Ferrari....

Perhaps Blade will bring his Ferrar 360CS and then we'll all get an idea where we are in comparison to other serious hardware! Good for the pub talk ;)

Ben

#20 ·
Ben_Scammell said:
If you want to drive a japanese tin box at 180mph I am sure nobody will stop you..... MADMAN! :D :D :D :D :D

I may try and entice some friends along with other performance cars:-

E.g. F430 Ferrari, TVR Sagaris, F360 Ferrari....

Perhaps Blade will bring his Ferrar 360CS and then we'll all get an idea where we are in comparison to other serious hardware! Good for the pub talk ;)

Ben
:crackup: :crackup:

i would like to see if will do what they said

i must admit i have had 165 in 5th gear :D

#21 ·
duran said:
:crackup: :crackup:

i would like to see if will do what they said

i must admit i have had 165 in 5th gear :D
I got 174mph out of my "de-restricted" E46 M3.....it had been derestricted & had a performance induction system on it. But that's another story.

I bet your FQ400 will do very close to 180mph if it doesn't actually break the magic 3 miles per minute mark.

Ben

#24 ·
NumptyScrub said:
I may be interested running my almost stock 6 (220atw) in this. If only to see whether changing up at 6k (and therefore keeping the torque at the wheels higher overall) has an impact on performance over running it up near the redline before swapping cogs ;)
Higher overall than what? Torque at the wheels will be highest (for a given ROAD SPEED) at the highest available power. If you change at 6000 and drop back in at say 4200rpm, you will only have the power available at 4200rpm.

If you change at say 7500 and drop bay in at 5700, you should have more power available unless your stock power drops like a stone at 6000rpm.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.