Lancer Register Forum banner

My Evolution VII Thread!

28K views 166 replies 23 participants last post by  Oli924 
#1 · (Edited)
:mitsi: Starting a build thread where I will update everything to do with my car, including the car itself, track days/shows and any parts I buy! :smthumbup

This is a thread I started back when I won the car etc so there are quite a few pictures of the car already here, instead of filling this thread up with the same old pictures! http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=513741

I'm adding a to do list to this thread in this initial post, so people can see what is coming up, and I will be ticking items off once they are done, also if someone has opinions on something I plan on doing feedback is more than welcome! :D

To Do List;

•Fix/Replace NACA duct
•Spray grills & mesh
•Spray intercooler (logo or completely black)
•Replace broken spoiler end cap - DONE
•Varis front splitter
•Remove orange from headlights
•Replace/Retrim steering wheel
•New suspension (Ohlins?)
•Performance panel filter - DONE
•'Airbox Mod' - DONE
•Guages (Triple Pillar Pod maybe?) - DONE
•Bumper exhaust shield (fix angle too)
•Warlboro 255 fuel pump - DONE
•Silicone hose everything ;) (and T clamps)
•Braided brake lines (HEL)
•3 port solenoid - DONE
•Refurbish rocker cover
•Replacement/Carbon Spark Plug Cover - DONE
•Upgrade the sound system!
•RalliArt Style Mudflaps - DONE

To start, just before I flew off to Norway for some snowboarding before Christmas, I received this picture when the company got it back to HQ!

Some gifts I got for Christmas ( the bushings were from myself, to myself :smthumbup )

Then after a long painful 4 weeks, I got to go view the car, as work tied in with me been close to it ( driving 8 hours in my off time isn't justifiable until I actually fully collect the car :lol: )

(Didn't know it had RAYS Aluminium wheel nuts on, and yes the calipers are in definite need of a refurb)
( The chrome window tint, which I was 50/50 on, now I love it in person :lol: It is great, and you can see my beautiful Oakleys! :smthumbup )
( A nice TME parked up next to my Evo :D )

That wraps up my visit to the import company to view my Evo in person for the first time! :smthumbup

Later on that day, I met up with someone to purchase some original Evo 7 GSR Wheels which he took off of a Civic Type R he had bought!

( Had some time the next day while waiting for a delivery, so I sorted out the back of the van, took the centre caps out and ratchet strapped them down, looking like a real race van there! :mitsi: )

Then arrived home tonight to my MLR registration package on the table :smthumbup :mitsi:

Thanks for checking this thread out, I will be updating as often as possible, with everything I do and plan on doing to the Evo :)

- Oli924

See less See more
#83 · (Edited)
What paint did you use for the exhaust heat shield buddy, mine looks the same as yours did, also how hard was it to get them bolts off as I'm scared to try as they are all rusty?

Thanks Chris
If you go to Homebase, where all the rattle can paint is, look for Rustoleum Stove paint (Matt black) I got mine for about £5 on sale, it's usually like £8 or something!

As for the bolts, mine were pretty horrible, so I just sprayed a bit of WD40 on them before hand, the only one which took a LOT of effort was the horizontal bolt into the side of the manifold, but it gave way eventually! The other 3 came out a breeze! =)

Cheers,

Oliver

EDIT: this is the actual paint I got :D http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/rust-oleum-black---stove-and-bbq-spray-paint---400ml-538223

#85 ·
That's brilliant buddy thanks for that, I actually used the same stuff on my mesh grilles etc, didn't know if it would be good on the heat shield but it looks a awesome finish so I will definitely be doing this job one weekend :)

Thanks once again for your help buddy.

Cheers Chris
No worries mate, I used it for the grill/mesh on top of the bonnet, it worked perfectly, and as you said the finish is very good, it's a very forgiving paint! :p

No worries mate,

Oliver

#86 ·
Right, so I have been a bit inactive on here for the last few weeks due to work :lol: I've been floating around too, but only briefly, but this will be my first proper post on here anyway! :smthumbup

Update on the Evo is, it had it's first wash/christening the other day due to my pressure washer getting back from warranty repairs :D

So she was looking clean and sexy till it started snowing/raining the second I got everything packed away :mad::smthumbdo

After that I visisted Ray671984 off of here to collect a triple guage pillar pod, which I can't thank him enough for, it'll look amazing in the car, he is a great guy, and was pretty heart breaking to hear the full story on his Evo to say the least :smthumbdo plus I want to thank you for the chat and the brew, which did not disappoint :lol: :D

Then I spent today adjusting the rear suspension, it sat way too low for my liking and looks much better now, but sadly I didn't get too many photos, I am going to take it out soon for a good photo shoot in somewhere scenic! :smthumbup

I also spent the day cleaning 2 other cars, which again, the second I pack everything away and start to admire my labour, the snow/rain/hail kicks in! :frust: (Also enjoy the last 2 photos of a naughty little AE86 I spotted in an alley way in central London!)

So that is all for the updates at the moment, got a fun week this week (not) but should hopefully be collecting some more standard 7 wheels on Sunday as 1 of the 4 I bought has a slight buckle, which I'm not even going to risk at all! :blah:

#88 ·
Same for you mate, if you're ever up my way give me a shout if I'm home we'll definitely meet up! Yeah, going to spray it black, get the other interior trims done black too, and it'll all look pretty evil! :D Ahh good good, bet you can't wait to move in mate!

#91 ·
Hi oli, cars coming on a treat:smthumbup
Love the colour:mitsi:
Would love to see it in the flesh.
Kierons got a few days out planned on northeast meets section.
There's a planned seaton carew to Scarborough, coast run,
Check it out . would get some great pictures.
Here's a pic of one of his meets.

Attachments

#92 ·
Hi oli, cars coming on a treat:smthumbup

Love the colour:mitsi:

Would love to see it in the flesh.

Kierons got a few days out planned on northeast meets section.

There's a planned seaton carew to Scarborough, coast run,

Check it out . would get some great pictures.

Here's a pic of one of his meets.
Thanks man! Same for yours :D

I'll definitely try to come to some meets but time for me is a massive issue as the summer is the busy period for me, I hardly see home! :( Liking the progress on your car mate, would be good to see them both together haha!

#93 ·
Another update, and by update I mean I took it out, got it dirty, and cleaned it for it to sit another week and be used again this weekend :mhihi: Oh the joys of my line of work! :lol:

I use Demon Shine "pour on" shine, and by pour on, that obviously means put it in a garden pressure sprayer and dilute in water which works wonders on your wallet and paint work, considering how cheap it is, and the fact it takes me under 60 to get a good coating with the sprayer, I am very impressed with the beading from it :smthumbup

Just bought all of this goodness from my Autoglym guy! Ready to use it this weekend on the evo, I also have a Meguiars clay bar kit, so I will give it a good clean over on Sunday. :D £65 worth of products for £35 I can't compain, I know Autoglym may not be the best of the best, but it's done extremely well by me, and the rate I get the products at I can't justify the prices of other brands! :mhihi:

As for the rest of tonight, you know what I have planned!

Cheers,

Oli924

#96 ·
Took the Evo out for a spin today before it's first clay bar and wax session :mhihi: :smthumbup

Took the Sunoco race fuel dispenser and filled that up too! Always good to have some spare 99 Octane laying around! :D

Then I got home and started washing, claying and waxing every panel (yet to finish, that is Sunday's job haha)

As I said before, still have to finish waxing the car, so I will hopefully get a picture up tomorrow of it all finished ( if I have the time :lol: )

#98 ·
Thanks man! :smthumbup

Yeah it took and is still taking ages haha, I am doing it bit by bit so I don't rush it, and then I put the same effort into every panel! All the front end got finished today, was a PITA that was! :mhihi:

Yeah, the closest Shell or Tesco to me is Ashington, a good 40 minute drive away! :smthumbdo

#100 ·
#GarageQueen :lol:

Cheers man! Yeah, I like caring for the car, so I can thrash it even harder, some people don't understand my 2001 plate Japanese spec Evo 7 isn't as resiliant to rust as there nice UK spec (undersealed) Evo X :D:D:D

#101 ·
So it's been a while since a good update on the car! :D

I have been working away for 4 weeks straight, and over that period I was buying parts ready for my arrival home, this is what had arrived so far!

My order from Ross Sport, big thanks! :smthumbup

As you can see, the old spark plug cover wasn't pretty, my fault for using paint from the local autoparts store, and painting it outside, but it was cracked around the bolt holes anyways! :D

Next on the list was the spoiler, or removal of! I wanted to check the boot lid for rust and blistering, and also change the gaskets underneath at the same time!

Before

After

After this, I fitted the new end cap, as I broke the little clip off of mine a while back, but the only colour Ross Sport could get was white, so I chucked on some 'special' carbon fibre wrap! :smthumbup

I do like it actually, from a far it looks like normal carbon fibre, but up close it colour shifts from purple to a bronze colour, I like it anyway, so f@@k anyone else :D

Strapped in Link and Domo for a little run out around the B roads!
:crackup:

So that is everything up to date, I have just ordered an AEM UEGO Wideband AFR Guage which should arrive this coming week, and I will get that install ASAP! :D

- Oli924

#103 ·
Nice one , like the look of spoiler end caps:smthumbup

Coming on nicely mate.

When working away, it keeps you going , ordering bits!:naughty:
Thanks mate! I wasn't sure if it would look good, but I love it now it's on :D

Yeah haha, passes the time, until you realise how much you've just spent during the last 3 pints! :lol: :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#106 ·
Intake & Exhaust Time!

So today I fitted my new Cosworth Air Filter courtesy of RossSport, as well as doing the air box mod, as I am getting a cold air intake, plus my stock air box is looking a little aged! Also fitted the decat, again courtesy of RossSport, and a major thank you to Ross who organised a O2 sensor bung to be welded into it as it saved a huge job for me! :D

So I went out and picked up an air powered die grinder from Screw Fix to help me cut the side out the air box, it worked great, I need to get some proper grinding attachments to tidy up the cut though, but it'll do for now! I fitted the Cosworth air filter at the same time, which is much better than the old, dirty HKS filter which was in it! :mhihi:

Now comes the fun part, the decat, I attempted to get it done on my driveway, but had to admit defeat when the bolts were stuck on TIGHT! :mad: It took some serious heat and brute strength to crack the bolts, but once that was done, it was a literal 5 minute job to fit the decat! :D

I love that picture of the car on the ramp, it looks sooooo good! :D:blush:

Also got some goodies from Status Error, I like to show support to UK companies, and I've loved there products long time, the quality is up there with the big boys! :smthumbup

Next up on the agenda is to fit my new AEM Wideband AFR tomorrow hopefully weather permitting, as we had monsoon like rain, with a bit of thunder and lightning thrown in the mix!

- Oli924

#108 ·
Thanks mate! Yeah I was pleasantly surprised, I had a VERY good look around when it was up in the air, and there is very minor rust! So hopefully the resto job in a year or so shouldn't take too long! :D Also noticed it has powerflex bushes in the rear, no wonder it's quite stiff in the rear end! :lol:

#110 ·
Thank you, I completely agree! :smthumbup:lol:

Yeah, but remaps aren't exactly cheap, so I am going to get quite a bit done to the car first, some more intake and exhaust mods probably, then I will see where the car is at, what else I might want to do, and then go from there, I won't be driving it for a while anyway due to my very busy work schedule coming up so should give me plenty of time! :D

#118 ·
Thanks man! :D Yeah, the main reason I imported mine was because most people don't care for Evo's as much as they need, which is why I'm not cutting any corners :lol:

Well, I haven't had much use of the HKS as I told Torque GT not to bother changing it, as I already had the cosworth sat there, so it came from Japan full of crap, but with the air box mod and the cosworth filter, the car immediately had a throatier sound to it! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#119 ·
Well today, among other things I wrapped the headlights of the Evo in Fly Eye! I actually love the look of it, and because it started raining just before I did the second one, it gave me an excuse to get a great comparison shot!

I know it won't be to everyone's cup of tea, but I love it, it goes great with the black accents of the car like the wheels and grills etc!

No Lights

Dipped Beam

Main Beam

As per my usual photo session with the car, I love the look of this shot, partially because it allows a great comparison between with and without fly eye, and the fact the car looks boss in this picture! :smthumbup :D

Plans for this next week are;
1. Boost and Oil pressure gauges
2. New oil, filter and spark plugs
3. Remap at Evotune
4. Drive home, rather spiritedly!

- Oli924

#121 ·
Yep I agree love the look of the light , I want :naughty:

Where did you buy it from.

That last picture does look fantastic :smthumbup
Thanks man :D

I just bought it from Amazon, a company called TIS, they make some good quality wraps etc, if I were you I'd go for the 60cm x 106cm if you cut it into two 30cm x 106cm sheets, it'll do both fronts no problem! :)

#125 ·
Thanks mate! Haven't been too active on here lol, had a few things done to it!

Also I'd definitely recommend Jamie for the remap, massive help with the car and it runs so well now! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.