Lancer Register Forum banner

NON TURBO 4G63 to Turbo

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  JOHNDQ 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello
I have a few questions about the 4g63 Non turbo (silver top)

How does the engine block and head differ from that of the 4g63 as fitted to the EVO ?

Is the block casting the same as the turbo version?minus the oil pickup for the turbo?
Is the cylinder head casting the same as the turbo version
Is the valve train the same as fitted to say an evo 6 ?
I can see the Valve cover is not magnesium ?
Has anyone fitted evo pistons to this non turbo block and turbocharged it ? Did you encounter any issues ?

#7 ·
Wouldn't the compression ratio be different between a N/A and turbo application?
Pretty sure that the Evo 4G63T has a lower compression ratio due to forced induction and that this setup wouldn't suit a N/A application in terms of drivability, fuel consumption and efficiency?

I'd be surprised if they really were the same... even though I don't possess the actual technical specifications for either the 4G63 or 4G63T.

All the best

Mark H

Reactions: Coggy and Mita
#9 ·
Is it *just* the pistons that are different? What about rods and/or crank?

I would expect head components to be different as well, but if somebody confirms they're exactly the same then that's good. Surprising, but good.

#10 · (Edited)
There the same don't forget the engine isn't anything special designed from the ground up it was made from a existing engine in the Mitsubishi range. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact years but I had a friend who worked in Mitsubishi who got me the part numbers for Evo crank and rods as well as a non turbo 4G63 and the part numbers were all the same other than the pistons. If you have a little look around online you'll see in America people do this conversion a lot that's what lead me to checking in the part numbers as I was looking to fit a Evo engine into a Rover but didn't want to pay thousands for a engine that wouldn't fit etc where as you can get on non-turbo 4G63 for a few hundred. the American boys who mostly seem to use them for drag racing say you don't need the oil squirters unless you're running high power on track and they don't seem to be having many failures. I wouldn't like to say 100-percent on the cams as I know that these were changed as time went on and I can't remember exactly what year is the cars we used for part numbers were

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.