Lancer Register Forum banner

Muddy Detail: Nick Rowntree's Lancer Turbo 2000

7K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  LancergtCam6 
#1 · (Edited)
I was contacted recently by MLRs's very own Nick Rowntree to detail his very special 26 year old
Mitsubishi Lancer Turbo 2000.

Originally it was only going to have some TLC by having a wash and wax, but after some
consioderation it was decided to go for the full works with Paint Correction too.

Nick had only just recently taken the car out of it's storage bubble having been stored
for 3 years (Yes 3 years).
He had driven it a few times before the day of the detail.

Here's some before pics:

The car was first treated to a pre wash with with Einszett Anti insect and pre cleaner and left to soak for 3 mins and then rinsed off.

The wheels were then sprayed with Megs Wheel Brightener,and the inside rim agitated with an Attle and OXO spoke brush and then washed with a microfibre mitt.

The wheels were then rinsed.

The whole car was then treated to a Pre foam wash to remove the loose dirt and grit that had accumlated on the body surface during
it's 3 year sleep and from the few times it had been driven recently (SSF and TFR). This was left
to soak for 3 mins and then rinsed off.

The body and wheels (Again) were then washed using a lambswool mitt and the 2 bucket method.

Thew whole vehicle was then rinsed and dried with a Poorboys Waffle weave towel.

The pre foam treatment:

Any large bits of tar were then removed with tar remover and the paint surface was then
subjected to some Sonus Ultra fine clay treatment as I felt the contaminents on the paint surface
weren't too major. Last touch Quick detailer was used as Lube.

Next onto checking the paint.. firstly I checked the paint thickness across the whole car.
Everything was in order as was to be expected with only a few slightly below readings
which I was carefull around.

The swirls:

The car taped and prepared ready for polishing:

Paint correction:

Before:

After:

A 50/50 on the door which brings to light the painbt correction is not only removing the swirls but bringing the cream paint back to white again:

Paint correction was carried out using various combinations as the single stage paint was being very stubborn and soaked everything I put to it.
I guess after 3 years of not being polished it wanted nourishing some way.
Anyway a comination of Meguiars Cut & polish pad and Menzerna IP 85RD3.02./ Power Gloss / PO106F|F & then followed by PO85RD all on the Metabo proved to work out in the end.

I found the paint to be quite hard for a Japanese car so had to make a few passes over each panel.

I chose to opt for Blackfire Wet diamond all finish paint protection, applied using a finishing pad on the PC.

Having never applied the blackfire range to a white car before I thought it gave outstanding results.

It gave a really deep glossy shine.

I then followed this up with a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond Ivory Paste Wax, which really made the white paint really glossy.

A fantastic finish was achieved, I recon approx 90% correction was achieved on the day. The only defect's left were the odd really deep scratch.

The interior was then degreased, and dressed using Jeff Werkstatts Satin Protec and the carpets and mats were vacuumed.

The rest of the car was treated to the following:

Trim - Poorboys Trim restorer.

Tyres - Pre-soak with Hyper dressing followed by Autoglyms Tyre dressing.

Arch trim - Pre-soaked and then re applied Megs Hyper Dressing,

Glass - AG glass polish

Wheels - Chemical Guys Wheel Sealant

Total time for detail 12 hours.

And here's the finished shots:

Thanks for looking :D

Craig

See less See more
#6 ·
:crackup: m3 mirrors

thanks for the gud price u done on those CARBON mirrors jon ;) they ,ll look ud with my window vents ,vortex and lip spoiler.

any fitting tips so they r secure! i thought about using no nails round the leading edge aswell as the three screws?

i,ll put them on after craigs done car & post some pics :)

#7 ·
:crackup: Im sure they were m3's ;)

Dry fit them first they usually fit very well - snug against the rubbber seal. if not you could use some black silicone to get a neat edge around any small gaps.

Cant wait to see , should look :coolsm:

stig said:
:crackup: m3 mirrors

thanks for the gud price u done on those CARBON mirrors jon ;) they ,ll look ud with my window vents ,vortex and lip spoiler.

any fitting tips so they r secure! i thought about using no nails round the leading edge aswell as the three screws?

i,ll put them on after craigs done car & post some pics :)

#13 ·
another excellent detail done there craig on a very nice and individual car ill bet there arnt many of those left in that condition how soon would you recomend having a detail done after a respray of the front end its something im concidering having done but i want the stone chips removing first ive heard diffrent storys of details after resprays with the paint being so new :confused:

#16 ·
Phill W said:
Is it difficult to detail a white car compared to other colours?
It's no harder than most colours to do the paint correction on but the hard part is to get it looking really good when you've finished (wax/sealed) White dosen't have any real depth to it so you don't get great reflectons & some wax's can make it look almost a creamy off-white :eek:

Good job Muddy Detail :coolsm: & interesting to hear the paint is harder than most newer jap motors, what was the thickness like compared to the current models?

#23 ·
excellent job done there craig, but nick what is under the cover in one of the photos :confused:

#25 ·
thetyrant said:
Looks like the new NR toy to me ;) ...good job there Muddy D looks superb :)

Ian
thats what i thought ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.