Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum (https://www.lancerregister.com//index.php)
-   Technical Questions (https://www.lancerregister.com//forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Oil Temps on Track c130'C (https://www.lancerregister.com//showthread.php?t=380951)

stevo_n 19-07-2011 06:32

I use Titan S, 5w40, just been to Nurburgring, 2 consistant laps 110c twice round the track, no higher, hard driving and very warm day.
I was told 120c is ok but anything more and its getting dangerous.
My tuner installed a new sensor after testing the orignal and finding it was 10% below what it should be. A new sensor now reads 80-82 on the motorway, where it should be imo, just below water temps.
I also have braided cooler lines and a 19 row oil cooler.

Check your sensor, also check how much air is available to the cooler as said.

plip1953 19-07-2011 07:17

Temps of 90-100 on the road seem very high to me. I may drive my VI pretty sedately relative to some of you, but I rarely see temps much above 70 degrees C.

And even in my TA car we don't see temps go much above 100 - although that is dry sump and has a biggish cooler etc.

straightliner 19-07-2011 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by plip1953 (Post 4045605)
Temps of 90-100 on the road seem very high to me. I may drive my VI pretty sedately relative to some of you, but I rarely see temps much above 70 degrees C.

And even in my TA car we don't see temps go much above 100 - although that is dry sump and has a biggish cooler etc.

They do to me as well , my 6 rarely gets over 90 on normal driving , and only around 100 when hooning on the roads

I suspect the gauge first

super rover 19-07-2011 07:42

any chance of a pic of the front bumper infront of where he cooler is

id have said this will be a major issue ,its had to see in the pic on your banner but it doesnt look good

martinw 19-07-2011 07:49

mine ran at 110 on track permanently and then last year it started to run high at the kind of temps you are talking about, changed parts on gauge etc and nothing happened, then one day on track the engine went. BE CAREFUL

i would take it to garage and get them to give it the once over just to be on the safe side

Deano_123 19-07-2011 08:05

the only time i ever saw 90 was sitting in traffic for 10 mins in the middle of summer, apart from that it was between 75 - 85 and never higher

i think i'd be abit worried to see 110+ on track

Ferg F 19-07-2011 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by plip1953 (Post 4045605)

:eek: I don't give mine any boost till the oil is up to 70 degrees :eek:

On track it sits at about 110~115.

wozzy 19-07-2011 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD7BOY (Post 4045558)
I didn't want to go for thicker oil as it seems like it will be too thick when the car's not on track, which causes it's own problems.

I guess I could take some 10w60 and 5w40 to the track and change the oil at the start of the day to 10w60, then change back to 5w40 at the end of the day.

Not sure if I would fancy 'keeping' the old oil and swapping it back in/out, but using fresh each time would get expensive quickly, so getting a cooler looks like a more reasonable idea?

the oil you're using is one of, if not the best oil you can use in your evo. Address the other issues and leave the fuchs/titan where it should be........ in your engine!! :D

Nevolution6RSII 19-07-2011 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferg F (Post 4045642)
:eek: I don't give mine any boost till the oil is up to 70 degrees :eek:

On track it sits at about 110~115.

Because your sensor is at the filter housing and his at the back of the engine/sump :)
There is about a 20 to 30 degrees difference between those two !!

Mine is at the filter too (sandwich plate) and when it's hot my Defi gauge says 100 degrees @ 140 Km/h (90 Mph or so) while it's around 90 degrees during the colder days.
Letting the car cool down (off boost driving) shows a difference too :

Winter : 82 degrees.
Summer : 90 degrees :(

I might have a look at those 24 row coolers one day... if it fits a VI why not buy one :naughty: :mhihi:

anttist 19-07-2011 13:40

I saw 135 C at oil filter sandwich plate at track with stock Evo 5 cooler. Now I have 19 row Setrab cooler (same as HEL) and sensor in oil filter housing and still see 120+ at track after just few laps. It might be the fact that Evo 5 doesn't have outlet at front bumper like Evo 6 does to help airflow. I have changed the oil cooler thermostat as well with no effect.

At motorway it can go up to 105-110 depending on speed. Normal cruising around 85-95.

I did not find any problems in engine bearings when I took it apart so I'm not that worried. Red Line 5W-40 must be doing it's job well.

GUM EVO 19-07-2011 14:29

With a stock oil cooler the temps you are mentioning are normal for very hard use... simple solution is upgrade oil cooler. However those temps soon drop if you allow cool off right?

Nevolution6RSII 19-07-2011 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUM EVO (Post 4045959)
With a stock oil cooler the temps you are mentioning are normal for very hard use... simple solution is upgrade oil cooler. However those temps soon drop if you allow cool off right?

In my case : Yep! :)

I don't think 19 rows will cool any extra by the way... I think the stock cooler is 19 rows too ?!

GUM EVO 19-07-2011 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevolution6RSII (Post 4045986)
In my case : Yep! :)

I don't think 19 rows will cool any extra by the way... I think the stock cooler is 19 rows too ?!

you will find the aftermarket oil coolers use a different style core and this is where the cooling advantage is from. A 19row is fine but bigger will obviously be better. I run mocal 19 row on my evo ix and installed myself at total cost 130... i didnt opt for braided line but got some decent rubber hose which is better than stock. Contact thinkautomotive as they have large stock and excellent customer service.

GUM EVO 19-07-2011 16:23

Some pics of my install... not the best install but a D.I.Y job and it is secure and functioning as it should:

The hose and fittings i used:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...1/IMAG0081.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...350501-800.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...1/IMAG0077.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...1/IMAG0078.jpg

Tedlegend 19-07-2011 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD7BOY (Post 4045314)
Went to Bedford with Dad on Friday for an evening session. Oil temp was hitting 125-130'C after a few laps (brakes etc still fine as I have big ones) but at that temp I thought I should probably have a cool down lap and come in because I think that's getting towards the limit of what the oil can take.

Those temps are measured at the oil filter using the OEM sensor point.
For reference it's normally 90-100'C when cruising the Mway (stabilises), then up to 115'C on a 'spirited' road drive (again, tends to stabilise), but up to 125-130'C on track after a bit (still looked to be climbing, so came in before I saw it stabilise.)

Car is an 8 FQ300 running stage 1 mods @1.7Bar(ish). It also has an aftermarket front bumper which I think is probably restricting airflow to the cooler. We made up a 'scoop' to sit behind the new bumper as the OEM scoop/guide had to be removed when fitting the bumper.

So, couple of questions then:
1. How hot can I safely get Silkolene Titan S 5w40 before I need to let it cool down?
2. What options do I have to deal with this? (Thicker oil probably not a good idea? New cooling guides (e.g. the HEL ones?) New oil cooler?) PS - I don't want to change the bumper, so lets work with that as a constraint!
3. If the conclusion is for a new oil cooler i) which one do people reccomend? ii) new or used? iii) something I can fit myself?

Cheers in advance for any assistance. :)

ive always run near that temp on track! apparently a good synthetic oil will take temps up to 150c:rolleyes: thats why i change oil after every track day but hey thats up to you?