Mitsubisi FTO [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Mitsubisi FTO

Billythefish
09-01-2006, 09:23
Thinking about my next Car as I'm selling my beloved Evo later on in the year :cry: and the FTO is a Car I've always liked but don't really know much about?
Can anyone on here give me some advise on them, what model should I be looking at buying, what's the performance and running costs like for them, what sort of price should I be looking at paying for a top spec / model one?

Any help or advice would be appreciated? :D

Cheers people!

Kyle

Marvin
09-01-2006, 10:08
There are a few x-FTO owners on here. Chocky, Weebl and R-Jay spring to mind as starters.
The FTO, IMHO, is the best FWD car I have driven. Whilst Mitsi quote 197BHP, the engine will only get near this with a filter and de-cat zorst system.
0-60 is about 6 secs for a manual and 7.2 for a tiptronic. Top speed is 160. MPG 24-32 depending on how you drive and service your cars. Oil change every 5-6k, cambelt and plugs every 50-60k.
The Tip g/box saps almost 30bhp so if you want to kkeep performance go for a manual (these hold about 500 premium)
The GPvR and GPvR Aero models are top choice and have uprated suspension and LSD fitted as standard.

FTO Owners Club (http://www.ftooc.org) is the best place to start.
Also dave Willson from here has a good site too: www.mivec.co.uk

Any specific questions, please feel free to email me.

Patt

Billythefish
09-01-2006, 10:14
What an excellent response, cheers Patt! :D

So in general they're a lot cheaper to run than our current Evo's then?? I just think they look really nice, plus I've heard they're supposed to be very good cars too.

So should I get a good example for around 7-8k, what age Car would I be looking at for that money?

Cheers mate.

Kyle

EVO-BUKY
09-01-2006, 10:43
I had a yellow veilside FTO for 5 years, my pride and joy!!

Still love them to bits and have been trying to convince my G'Friend that it would be a great 2nd car.

They drive and hadle amazing, but are as slow as hell - very long gearing - about as fast as a new mini copper s.

I had NoS put onto mine (50bhp) still wasn't quick enough.

You are paying more for looks and handling, a sheep in wolfs clothing so to speak...

Billythefish
09-01-2006, 10:48
To be honest I know I'm not going to get anything quicker than my current Evo (380bhp) but I just want something that's nice to look at, reliable, quick(ish), cheaper than Evo to run and something that's in the 7-8k bracket which the FTO is I believe?

How much room is there in the back of them or are they strictly a 2 seater?

Also, anybody know what reg the last year they made these was?

Cheers

EVO-BUKY
09-01-2006, 10:53
If that's what you are after, you are going to get a fantastic car then.

The GpvR is the top spec model - stunning.!

Think they stopped production in 2000 or 2001 - could be wrong.

My FTO never went wrong once in 5 years, parts are now failry cheap.

Apart from an impreza it's prob one of the nicest sounding exhaust notes from any car I know - esp on the GPX when the mivec kicks in...

essexboy
09-01-2006, 11:25
Originally posted by Billythefish
To be honest I know I'm not going to get anything quicker than my current Evo (380bhp) but I just want something that's nice to look at, reliable, quick(ish), cheaper than Evo to run and something that's in the 7-8k bracket which the FTO is I believe?

How much room is there in the back of them or are they strictly a 2 seater?

Also, anybody know what reg the last year they made these was?

Cheers

What they lack in speed they make up for in poise on the road and looks IMO. Don't worry too much about Mivec or non-Mivec (GPX or GR), just make sure you get a manual or you'll robbed of the whole FTO experience to a large degree.

The back seats aren't that small, wouldn't like to be in the back for a long journey but they're perfectly usable if you need 'em.

They're good on fuel (about 30 mpg on average, high 20s if you drive it really hard), but if the head gasket goes (like it did on mine) it's gonna cost over 1K on that V6

I think the last ones were '99-'00, go for a post '97 to get the slightly sexier face lifted front bumper and the Type R for a bodykit. Avoid the 1.8 at all costs.

Hope this helps, good luck!

R-Jay
09-01-2006, 11:37
Yep, great cars, I had my GPvR Aero Series for 2 years and still miss it :cry:

They are superb to drive but a touch on the slow side compared to Evo's.

The only thing that went wrong with mine was the radiator exploding but Giles at Japco sorted it all for me. He does servicing and everything, infact he even sells them....

http://www.japco.co.uk

Marvin
09-01-2006, 11:44
The prices , like most 2nd hand markets, has dropped. For that sort of money you could almost chose which model and the GPX manual face-lift is where you want to be.
In 5 odd years and 100,000 miles I only had to replace a split driveshaft gator.
Mine still stands as the most powerful n/a FTO in the club (222bhp) after I'd played with it, and even with the aircon on I couldn't get below 30mpg.
I miss the zorst, I miss the mpg and especially the looks - but I wish I'd bought an Evo earlier its way more fun.

My old one : www.p44tts.co.uk

When you decide what model and colour, give me a shout and I'll put the word out as I'm still on the club committee ;)

Patt

R-Jay
09-01-2006, 11:59
Originally posted by Marvin
Mine still stands as the most powerful n/a FTO in the club

But it still didn't look as good as mine :p :D

Marvin
09-01-2006, 12:05
LOL - White is faster

Ohh and the MIVEC engine IS the best :crackup:

Beefy
09-01-2006, 12:33
Originally posted by Marvin

My old one : www.p44tts.co.uk

All that crap you put in the boot would have countered any mods you did on the engine. ;)

Marvin
09-01-2006, 14:01
Yep I know, but I used to drive a lot of miles and a good sound quality sound system was important then - as it was quality rather than bass/noise !
It was removeable in about 1/2 hour or so - should I be going to Santa Pod/track day.
I've not done anything but upgrade the speakers and head unit in the Evo - read I've seen the light ;)

zefff
09-01-2006, 15:26
Dont listen to these pansies! Get a manual GR! Real mans FTO! ...infact cut out all the hassles and take mine and give me your Evo. :crackup:

Waltsinhull
09-01-2006, 18:34
Its not quite finished yet - so one or two blind alleys - but my website has a good section on FTOs (he says with huge modesty) - I'll let you have a sneak preview!

Sneak Preview (http://www.japseye.co.uk)

MarkFTO
09-01-2006, 20:18
FTO's are great cars for the money. Good looks and a well sorted chassis.

If you want a bit of power to match the looks my turbo'd FTO is up for sale at the moment -

http://www.fto-evolution.co.uk/ftopics/redengine.jpg

http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=45461&highlight=

Billythefish
10-01-2006, 07:51
How much you selling it for and how many miles has it done mate?