Anyone own one of these??? [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Anyone own one of these???

NZracer
01-05-2005, 15:57
Is there any Galant VR4's in England like these?
http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/vision/gvr4.htm

Dmac1969
01-05-2005, 17:12
There are a few yes , but they are greatly outnumbered by the V6TT 8G Galants. I remember seeing them come up for sale now and then in Motoring (now Motorsport) News , when they were a 3 or 4 year old 2nd hand car , but that was back in the days when the Jap import scene wasnt even started over here (Pre Impreza/Evo days!!) and probably only a handful of people (sad anoraks like me!) would have known what one was ie basically a turbo version of the 6G Galant GTI-16V 4WD (Cant remember if the VR4 gets the 4WS as well). They were one of the 1st cars I lusted after , especially after one took a win on the 89 Lombard RAC Rally (the 1st jap car to win that event). I must admit I havent seen one in a dogs age tho , and that featured one looks very nice! :)

xlr8
01-05-2005, 18:20
there's one on e-bay
...have a feeling that the highest bidder could possibly be a scam artist with zero feedback

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4545562859&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

NZracer
01-05-2005, 18:34
Originally posted by Dmac1969
There are a few yes , but they are greatly outnumbered by the V6TT 8G Galants. I remember seeing them come up for sale now and then in Motoring (now Motorsport) News , when they were a 3 or 4 year old 2nd hand car , but that was back in the days when the Jap import scene wasnt even started over here (Pre Impreza/Evo days!!) and probably only a handful of people (sad anoraks like me!) would have known what one was ie basically a turbo version of the 6G Galant GTI-16V 4WD (Cant remember if the VR4 gets the 4WS as well). They were one of the 1st cars I lusted after , especially after one took a win on the 89 Lombard RAC Rally (the 1st jap car to win that event). I must admit I havent seen one in a dogs age tho , and that featured one looks very nice! :)

Cheers, that one on the link isnt mine, mine was a white EVO 0 with a cage, momos and a EVO 2 spoiler.
The one on ebay looks good, there mad cars, a mate of mine had a nice RS, Ive got a video of us doing 120mph + on a beach!
The GSR has 4WS but the gem RS doesn't.
Awsome rally cars and of corse the birth of the 4G63.
All EVO engines up to the IV are interchangable. The VR4 4G63 has better Valves and rods. My old one had a EVO 2 engine with EVO 3 turbo and intercooler.
If your after a cheeper EVO than these are the way to go, dont be put off by the age. :coolsm:

xlr8
03-05-2005, 11:03
Originally posted by NZracer
Cheers, that one on the link isnt mine, mine was a white EVO 0 with a cage, momos and a EVO 2 spoiler.
The one on ebay looks good, there mad cars, a mate of mine had a nice RS, Ive got a video of us doing 120mph + on a beach!
The GSR has 4WS but the gem RS doesn't.
Awsome rally cars and of corse the birth of the 4G63.
All EVO engines up to the IV are interchangable. The VR4 4G63 has better Valves and rods. My old one had a EVO 2 engine with EVO 3 turbo and intercooler.
If your after a cheeper EVO than these are the way to go, dont be put off by the age. :coolsm:

:confused:
sorry...but why would I think the link was to your car ?
...it's just one that's on e-bay currently

also, the vr4 isn't termed 'Evo zero' here in the UK
- reason being that although it's got a 4g63, it's not the start point for the 'evolution' of the Lancer...that's the Evo1
- that slang-term is often used in reference to the Lancer 2000 turbo which was the first Mitsubishi Group B rally car

why did you change the 6-bolt engine to a 7-bolt later version
especially as the early one doesn't tend to suffer from crank-walk, has better rods, valves, bigger ports etc etc ?

have to disagree with you re: the vr4 as an alternative to an evo
due to the fact that they are too old, too rare in the UK, not particularly good for the twisties / track-days etc
A much better alternative is the Lancer 1800GSR which is lighter than both the vr4 & e1-3(including RS), very quick, more nimble, cheap on insurance etc

:)

NZracer
03-05-2005, 22:06
Originally posted by xlr8
:confused:
sorry...but why would I think the link was to your car ?
...it's just one that's on e-bay currently

also, the vr4 isn't termed 'Evo zero' here in the UK
- reason being that although it's got a 4g63, it's not the start point for the 'evolution' of the Lancer...that's the Evo1
- that slang-term is often used in reference to the Lancer 2000 turbo which was the first Mitsubishi Group B rally car

why did you change the 6-bolt engine to a 7-bolt later version
especially as the early one doesn't tend to suffer from crank-walk, has better rods, valves, bigger ports etc etc ?

have to disagree with you re: the vr4 as an alternative to an evo
due to the fact that they are too old, too rare in the UK, not particularly good for the twisties / track-days etc
A much better alternative is the Lancer 1800GSR which is lighter than both the vr4 & e1-3(including RS), very quick, more nimble, cheap on insurance etc

:)

The Slang term you refer to is actually a model name on certain JDM galant VR4's, It comes from the factory with a larger turbo and intercooler, bonnet vents and added EVO 0 badges + A lack of 4WS and RS drivetrain.
The later engine was prepared by Speedtech in Wellington NZ, and had my origonal VR4 head + many other goodies stashed away. It was a far better engine therefore better than what I started with
If you find some good old kiwi VR4 sites then youll be able to see the benifets that the VR4's have, dont get me wrong theres some good 1800 GSR's out there, NFORCER does a 10 sec Q/M.
Cheers

xlr8
03-05-2005, 23:04
Originally posted by NZracer
The Slang term you refer to is actually a model name on certain JDM galant VR4's,
Cheers

sorry .....not trying to be argumentative but....
evo zero is/was a term coined/used mainly in NZ & OZ
& is not a JDM one
Think you'll find that the E-0 badges may have been added in the local markets...they certainly were never seen here

also, the vr4 was never an 'Evo' in any model
nor was it ever homologated for World rallying even in RS /240bhp format

:)

NZracer
04-05-2005, 06:18
http://www.carforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-9710.html

zentac
04-05-2005, 07:15
The Galant VR4 was the Mitsubishi WRC from 1988-92

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/motorsports/history/80s/galant_vr4.htm

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/motorsports/history/90s/galant_vr4.htm

Then they moved onto the EVO`s 1993 onwards

xlr8
04-05-2005, 07:58
Originally posted by zentac
The Galant VR4 was the Mitsubishi WRC from 1988-92

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/motorsports/history/80s/galant_vr4.htm

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/motorsports/history/90s/galant_vr4.htm

Then they moved onto the EVO`s 1993 onwards

very true....
but it was never 'homologated'
one reason was that too many had already been built & it wasn't required for the rules
whereas the Evo1 was purpose built / homologated.....

also, in the above links, where the car is termed 'evolution' of the marque == of the Galant & not into an 'Evo'

btw
we've had this very same discussion before
read here:
https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52775

note the input/post from 'Mike Rudd' on page 2 of the thread

:)

NZracer
04-05-2005, 10:46
Spose your gona tell me there's no such thing as the Galant Super VR4 or the AMG tuned Galant as youve proberly never heard of them???? :confused:

mikerudd
04-05-2005, 11:41
Ahh... this old chestnut ;)

I think you will find that even though there was an evolution model Galant (with a 16g turbo and 240bhp), Mitsubishi did NOT call it an evolution nor attach any badges with the word evolution to them. 'Evo 0' is definitely a slang term invented by us Aussies and Kiwis :)

As for the other models you mention... Super VR4 definitely existed (pics attached) although I maintain it did not have the 240bhp 'evo' motor in the E39A series, it was not until the later V6 models that the Super VR4 got a more powerful 260bhp engine. I beleive the main differences in the E39A Super VR4 were cosmetic.

And you can't really claim the AMG tuned Galant was a Mitsi factory car... kind of like calling the FQ400 a factory Mitsubishi... it isn't.

mikerudd
04-05-2005, 11:42
:)

xlr8
04-05-2005, 11:50
Originally posted by NZracer
Spose your gona tell me there's no such thing as the Galant Super VR4 or the AMG tuned Galant as youve proberly never heard of them???? :confused:

:confused:
eh ?
I didn't say that they 'don't exist...'
....just not under the names that you keep referring to/using...
as supplied by Colt Cars UK/dealerships back in 1989-92

as for the Super vr4 & AMG + others
see on the NZ-site here:
http://vr4.nitor.co.nz/models.html

AMG also did numerous e1-3 conversions
there's a couple of those owned on these forums

btw
the same vr4 drivetrain with mods was also used in the early DSM's 1989-93(with differing bodyshells through the year range)
but I bet that there aren't many of those in NZ, OZ, Japan or here in the UK

:)

mikerudd
04-05-2005, 11:58
Originally posted by xlr8
see on the NZ-site here:
http://vr4.nitor.co.nz/models.html
Nice one Jan!! These brochures are great :)

NZracer
04-05-2005, 12:16
Im not being funny or anything, but NZ's import laws are much more relaxed than Aussie or UK laws, so we get many more of the special editions of jap car's then proberly anywere else in the world. Now the Evo 0 issint just a slang term, its pretty much a RS but with the interior luxury’s of the normal VR4 ie elec windows etc...
If there's no such thing then what is the name of this model??
As far as im aware there is no RS with elec windows etc, it defets the purpose of the RS.
Also mike can you tell/show me that the RS came with the evo 0 bonnet vent's and the aluminium bonnet?
Having owned a EVO 0 Im finding it very hard to belive that someone in the UK is trying to tell me my car didnt exest!
P.S. Thanks for the feedback so far, its always good to get other peoples perspective, makes for intersting reading wouldnt you agree?

xlr8
04-05-2005, 12:37
once again...no-one's doubting the existence of a certain type of Galant vr4 / your car
but look at it this way....
1. the Evolution name was specifically used at the start of the Lancer Evolution range i.e. the Evo (1) GSR / RS

2. any evolving of a model prior to that was just that ...the next phase.
No-where in Mitsubishi literature that I've ever seen/read is a vr4 referred to specifically as an 'Evo 0.'
Even throughout it's rallying days it was called a vr4...& not vr4 Evo 0...which you'd think would be the case.

3. although the vr4 RS was used as a base for the running gear
the majority of it was changed when adapted to the Lancer bodyshell, so as to qualify for homologation and World rallying
This meant a different: head, crank, injection, management/ecu, a modified gearbox & 4-wheel drive and the reason why the Evo 1 had/has an output of 246bhp for the road going GSR/RS versions

The Evo1 wasn't that succesful hence the intro of the e2 and e3 with wider track, more power etc etc.....
and so on through to the e8

:)

mikerudd
04-05-2005, 13:16
Originally posted by NZracer
Also mike can you tell/show me that the RS came with the evo 0 bonnet vent's and the aluminium bonnet?
As far as I am aware, there were actually 2 versions of the RS, one with a 190bhp 14b turbo and no bonnet vents and one with a 240bhp 16g turbo and bonnet vents.
Originally posted by NZracer
Having owned a EVO 0 Im finding it very hard to belive that someone in the UK is trying to tell me my car didnt exest!
I'm definitely not saying your car doesn't exist, I am however saying that Mitsubishi never called it an 'Evo 0'

It definitely existed, and it had 50bhp more than a normal VR4, and was the precursor to the Lancer Evo 1.
Originally posted by NZracer
P.S. Thanks for the feedback so far, its always good to get other peoples perspective, makes for intersting reading wouldnt you agree?
Definitely agree :) I wouldn't be involved in the discussion if I wasn't interested to hear what other people think :)







Just to add more confusion... 'Lancer Evolution 1' is a misnomer as well... Mitsubishi marketed it as the 'Lancer Evolution' how were they to know there would be an evo 2??? (see the cover of the brochure below)

In the same way, why would they have known when they were building the VR4 Evo 0 that they would build the lancer evo 1-9 cars in later years?

You see 'Evo 0' must be a term introduced after the Lancer evo cars existed, therefore, not the term that Mitsubishi sold the cars as originally.



https://www.lancerregister.com/mlr_images/brochure/evo1/evo11.jpg

mikerudd
04-05-2005, 13:19
Sorry, I skipped one of your questions...
Originally posted by NZracer
If there's no such thing then what is the name of this model??
This is the million dollar question... I don't know what it was called, I don't think anyone does, that is why we made up the term Evo 0 :)

NZracer
04-05-2005, 13:28
Just to add more confusion... 'Lancer Evolution 1' is a misnomer as well... Mitsubishi marketed it as the 'Lancer Evolution' how were they to know there would be an evo 2??? (see the cover of the brochure below)

In the same way, why would they have known when they were building the VR4 Evo 0 that they would build the lancer evo 1-9 cars in later years?

You see 'Evo 0' must be a term introduced after the Lancer evo cars existed, therefore, not the term that Mitsubishi sold the cars as originally.



That's a very good point, Ive been researching on the net as has xlr8 and there's only stuff about the "EVO 0" from NZ as far as I can se, Im gona email some contacts in NZ and see what I can find.
Btw mike have you seen the videos on http://vr4.nitor.co.nz/models.html
Theres some good VR4 burnout and drag action! :D

mikerudd
04-05-2005, 13:37
Originally posted by NZracer
Btw mike have you seen the videos on http://vr4.nitor.co.nz/models.html
Theres some good VR4 burnout and drag action! :D
I've just been downloading some of them already... very cool :D

NZracer
04-05-2005, 13:43
Here's some kiwi drag action too, Its Speedtech's EVO 3 doing a 9sec Q/M pass @ 170.5 mph
www.evopwr.com

go to videos then 13/march DOCILE
Aundre the guy driving was the chap responsible for my VR4's engine :D

xlr8
04-05-2005, 14:41
Originally posted by NZracer
Ive been researching on the net as has xlr8 ...

nope...can't say that I have.......

NZracer
04-05-2005, 15:18
that's interesting....as there's no such thing as an 'Evo' galant
as the term 'evo' was only used from the Lancer Evo1 onwards

have searched for an 'Evo' Gvr4.....nothing found on UK or US sites anywhere
....perhaps it was a factory special
- but if that was the case...there would be info available


Oh ok my bad :rolleyes:

xlr8
04-05-2005, 16:56
Originally posted by NZracer
that's interesting....as there's no such thing as an 'Evo' galant
as the term 'evo' was only used from the Lancer Evo1 onwards

have searched for an 'Evo' Gvr4.....nothing found on UK or US sites anywhere
....perhaps it was a factory special
- but if that was the case...there would be info available
Oh ok my bad :rolleyes:

have a look at the date and time of that particular thread
....written in 2004

if you meant researching now...then no
if you meant nearly a year ago...then yes
.....was during the course of trying to help the guy out by re-visiting old info
:D

NZracer
04-05-2005, 18:05
Well I just sorta ment researching in general, I didnt think I had to explain in detail which ocation I ment as it was for the same topic, which is relative to this thread, wouldnt you agree xlr8.
Btw are you a lawer by any chance? If not you'd make a great one with the way you reply and pick certain things to comment on.
Well have a nice remander of your day, glad Ive been able to provide you with a discussion you obviously have some passion about ;)

Dmac1969
04-05-2005, 18:58
From what I've heard , the revised VR4 with the bonnet vents and boosted power was always referred to as the VR4 Evolution , but maybe only by its owners and not Mitsubishi?

NZracer
07-05-2005, 00:05
Ok Ive got some more news re VR4 EVO 0's.
The chassis number for the RS's starts with E38 and apprantley the EVO 0 model? starts with E39A2
Also Ive found these explainations

basically, bigger turbo (TDO5H small 16g), bigger injectors (yellow and 510cc), bigger intercooler, 4 bolt diff, bonnet vents, extra intercooler vents on bumper, and ECI multi on the engine, and apparently chassis numbers are different.. I thought Evo 0's went E39A-002***, and VR4's went E39A-001***

there are many differences, other than the vents...

the vr4 evo (evo 0) has
- the same turbo as the evo 1: td05, small 16g compared to the td05 14g (or 14b cant remember) on a vr4.
- a slightly bigger intercooler - again the same as the evo1.
- bonnet vents
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Vr4 Evo has the same drive train as the Evo1. The driveline ratio's are all different, and the drivetrain is WAY WAY WAY stronger. especially the half-shafts, which are commonly referred to as the 4-bolt half shafts, compared to the 3 bolt on the normal VR4. Its quite common to snap shafts on a VR4. I still haven't snapped 1 on my VR4 evo.
- There are other differences as well, like larger injectors, etc etc, but you get the idea...

However, that is the VR4 Evo. As for a VR4 RS, its got some of the above, but also lighter. I'm not sure whether it has a the Evo drive train - my understanding is that it doesn't, but it does come with LSD diffs all round, which the VR4 Evo doesnt. a VR4 Evo RS, which are very rare, and i believe only a few in the country, have the best of both worlds....


Evo 0's also have 4 bolt rear axles (those are the bolts where the axle bolts to the spindle, at the hub.
And they have 2 piston front brake calipers, although this is a pretty common upgrade to std VR4's as well.
Some have EVOLUTION embroidered in the seats as well.

E0 RS came factory with Big 16g, Lightened flywheel, same profile Camshafts as the E3, and all the part numbers match up in caps when we key in his Chassis number

e39a-002xxxxx is just another production number, it's when you see numbers like

e39a-100xxxxx

You can start to get excited...



Correct me if Im wrong?

xlr8
09-05-2005, 11:20
Originally posted by NZracer
Correct me if Im wrong?

:confused:
no-one (including me) said you were wrong
read what's been written again.....

.... I said that the 'Evo 0' or whatever it's called was never offered by dealers/importers in the UK & that it was more likely to be an NZ/OZ car and/or a slang term.....
Even the vr4 in standard or RS-guise is rare here

why not see if you can locate a UK car and post some pictures/spec etc....?

btw
1. as mentioned before.....the engine internals, head, injection, gearbox were changed from vr4 spec when put into the e1 to get homologation for rallying
- this is well documented

2. it's unlikely that you'll find anyone on here that'll get excited about a vr4 ;)

3. yes...enjoy a good discussion
- always good to have information for future reference....

:)

Dmac1969
17-05-2005, 19:02
From 'You and your Mitsubishi Evo' , by Andy Butler (pg 13-14)

"....and then on the Greek acropolis rally the Galant VR-4 Evolution appeared on the scene, This car boasted more power to test its more compotent chassis , producing over 300BHP from its 4 cyl 16 valve motor. Easy to spot as the 'cooking' version , the Galant VR-4 Evolution gained a bigger intercooler as well as a louvered bulge on the bonnet....."