Does Anyone Else Hate Getting Cr@p Courtesy Cars? [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Does Anyone Else Hate Getting **** Courtesy Cars?

Morris Minor
30-04-2005, 23:57
I took my Evo into Brighton Mitsubishi for its 9000 mile service recently. They did a great job, as always, but the courtesy car was a T reg, matt red Gallant with a beige interior (see picture). Am I being an awful snob, or is this a bit poor?

Just to be clear, I'm not doing down Gallants here, in fact I have a bit of a soft spot for black VR4s, but this red one looked a bit of a shed.

In my opinion, if you take a decent car like an Evo in for some work, the coutesy car should either be of comparable quality (fat chance), or it should be a cheap and cheerful new car with stickers on the side to clearly show its a courtesy car.

Morris Minor
01-05-2005, 00:08
Picture:

Phil2333
01-05-2005, 00:09
I work in a dealership (vauxhall :( ) the dealer basically just gives you a car to get from a to b while yours is in for repair etc.

customers in our place give in their 3 ltr omega elite and get a 1ltr corsa as a courtesy car :crackup:

courtesy cars usually get ragged to death so dealers are reluctant to give you a top of the range beast.

so if you were given a mr340 as a courtesy car,you wouldnt give it some stick??? ;)

Phil2333
01-05-2005, 00:10
Just seen the pic tho :eek:

that does take the **** :crackup:

Morris Minor
01-05-2005, 00:44
Originally posted by phil lloyd
the dealer basically just gives you a car to get from a to b while yours is in for repair etc.

Yeah but its not "give" like its a favour, its "give" as part of the service you receive when you pay ~70 an hour.

customers in our place give in their 3 ltr omega elite and get a 1ltr corsa as a courtesy car :crackup:

courtesy cars usually get ragged to death so dealers are reluctant to give you a top of the range beast.

Last time I had a little Colt 1.1(?) with Brighton Mitsubishi stickers on the flanks. It was a funky little drive, everyone could see it was a courtesy car, and it got me thinking about getting my other half a Colt when its time to replace her car.

so if you were given a mr340 as a courtesy car,you wouldnt give it some stick??? ;)

I've got an FQ-330 so an MR FQ-340 is not a big deal. I'm a grown-up. I'm trusting that their mechanic is not going to be giving my car "some stick", so they should afford me the same respect. They have insurance. A liveried-up Evo tooling about with their name on the side would be a FANTASTIC attention grabber for their business.

I'm not kidding myself that I am ever likely to get an Evo as a courtesy car BTW. I'm just not convinced that there is really a good reason why I shouldn't get a decent courtesy car.

Black Knight
01-05-2005, 09:27
I suspect there wasn't a car booked for you on the day and that was all that was available to be driven, but Its not something we normally do.

We have 20/25 bookings a day and run 6 courtsey cars. there is no way we could run evos or shoguns without putting up the service/labour charge to pay for them.

But I will investigate on teusday.

(it was a v6 auto galant with leather and leccy seats)
just sold it for 5k

Dmac1969
01-05-2005, 10:07
I had a Galant V6 that shape , in Met Blue (mine didnt have leather/leccy seats pack tho!) those wheels spoil it , so I shoved a set off a Sport on mine , along with a VR4 rear spoiler...I was going to fit the full sport bodykit as I had some second hand panels stashed away but traded it in for the evo instead. They are good cars IMO , its a shame Mitsi dont do the Galant in this country anymore , as IMHO its always been the best built car in the Mitsi range (ive had 2 , the P reg 8G V6 and a 6G 2.0 Glsi H reg)

Dmac1969
01-05-2005, 10:08
PS if you think the Galant is poor , just pray you dont get a 1.3 base SpaceStar...dreadful.... :rolleyes:

SG 1969
01-05-2005, 10:14
i always get a space star or new colt while my Grandis or evo are in for any reason,can you imagine how much extra the garage insurance would be if they gave out evo loan cars?Or the excess.

willox
01-05-2005, 14:26
i dont put out anything fancy at my garage.95% of people are glad of any car to get them home or to work.most people dont give a toss,smoke in the car,leave rubbish,no fuel etc so why give out anything fancy?most of the time folk are looking to get a shot of a better car than they are putting in for repair.lol.

Nothin B
01-05-2005, 15:50
Last time mine was in for a service I cheekily asked if I could get an L200 as a courtesy car not really expecting them to say yes.
But they did. :D

Dmac1969
01-05-2005, 18:04
Originally posted by willox
most people dont give a toss,smoke in the car,leave rubbish,no fuel etc so why give out anything fancy?

Funnily enough any courtesy car I get goes back in better nick than i get it , i truly hate driving a dirty car ,and I especially have a thing about driving round in a car with bird **** all over it , so if i get a minger of a car as a 'loaner' then at the very least it will get a blow over at the jetwash (hopefully before anyone I know sees me in it!)...if its something quite nice I have been known to wash it at home and shine the tyres and interior , especially if ive got it for more than a couple of days...a waste of effort some may say , but thats me. :)

Oh and if anyone dared to smoke in my car then I would not be happy..... :mad:

stevov
01-05-2005, 18:07
my 4500 service charge d me 10 for the priveledge of a colt plus i had to stop at first petrol station to put fuel in it. ah western ya got to love em

chockymonster
01-05-2005, 19:14
Last time I had a courtesy car I had to pick up 300 bricks to build a wall :)

chockymonster
01-05-2005, 19:16
It did go back after being fully hoovered out, washed and polished though :)

Radar
01-05-2005, 19:30
Originally posted by Dmac1969
Funnily enough any courtesy car I get goes back in better nick than i get it ,The ones I get always seem to go back with loads of petrol in them! They barely have enough petrol to limp to the nearest petrol station and then I make a right mess of trying to work out how much petrol I'll need for the day - not used to driving cars that'll return 40 mpg even if I thrash them. :rolleyes: :crackup:

Think I'll have to start syphoning the petrol out :D :crackup:

Oh and I had a Colt last time from Brighton Mitsubishi - it even had sat nav installed but I didn't use it.

ABZ EVO
01-05-2005, 19:33
Do you always get a coutesy car when the Evo goes in for a service or is it up to the individual dealer?

When my old Vauxhall went in for services, at 250-400 a time I never once got a c.c. even though they have them. And it was a main dealer.

Radar
01-05-2005, 19:36
I always ask for a car when I make the booking - usually have to wait a couple of extra days for the booking so I can have a car allocated to me.

stevov
01-05-2005, 21:23
if you got to pay it aint a courtesy its a rental

Morris Minor
13-05-2005, 09:10
Originally posted by Black Knight
I will investigate on teusday.

This must be a very in-depth investigation ;)

When my next service is due I will be reminding Luc about this when I phone to book it :p