Speed detectors [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Speed detectors

Gavalar
02-08-2015, 15:43
Any one tried one if these or better what's your views an advice boys and girls

chris_mak
02-08-2015, 15:57
They'd be great if they definitely work.

An abundance of do gooders would probably say you shouldn't be speeding in the first place. In my opinion, speed traps arent justice, they are there generate revenue. If it was such an issue, more should be done to prevent speeding in particular areas other than stealthily catching out motorists which isn't slowing down traffic initially. These speed alert devices would actually slow down traffic in hot spots helping prevent an accident.

Gavalar
05-08-2015, 06:00
Bump

Triple L
05-08-2015, 06:38
Got one of the older ones, it does things like telling you what the speed limit your in now is and seems to spend half it's life pointing out camera van spots that never have any cameras in. It does pick up laser but nowhere near as far as the Valentine One.

I've let the subscription lapse on mine, the combo of the TomTom and Valentine is a better mix for me

spen123
05-08-2015, 07:19
I have had one for years from the 1st ones to the Gem great bit of kit

Ben_r1
05-08-2015, 08:14
I used to have an old model, found after a few months of it bleeping at me to warn of upcoming cameras I just got complacent and it became an all too familiar back ground noise to be ignored. It also gave me a false sense of security about being vigilant for cameras, a bad combo.

Went past several mobile vans and a couple coppers on bikes with speed guns, laser detector never worked once...

Gepetto
05-08-2015, 13:38
We also have an old one (no longer updated) and I find it quite useful. I've found myself reacting to it when I'm driving along on auto pilot (which is handy). Although, as Ben mentioned, the laser detector does appear to be a waste of space.

We bought a Tom Tom for a friend to use in our car recently and it identifies the cameras, and known camera spots very well, even identifying the M25 gantry's that have cameras, as opposed to those that don't.

Gavalar
05-08-2015, 15:23
Cheers guys thanks for your time and advice greatly appreciated

Triple L
05-08-2015, 20:41
Valentine One I literally can't recommend enough, has saved me plenty of times and with a regularly updated TomTom for static sites, it's a very good safety net (not that I drive like a loon, but you know what I mean 60-90mph in an Evo comes up veeerrry fast :)

Gavalar
07-08-2015, 14:43
Cheers boys

Gavalar
07-08-2015, 14:46
Speeding is something I don't agree with but I do speed all the time but my evo stops quicker from 90 than my brand new Merc does at 60 so there's is at bit of a safety net for us and public I only open up on clear roads where it's safe